Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did any of you enjoy hagler duran match?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Mugabi gave Hagler his hardest fight imo. John fought out of his skin that night, a fight which i feel signalled the first signs of Hagler's deterioration.
    Leonard felt that way as well, as he was in attendance for that fight and right after it, decided he would finally fight Hagler, as he felt Hagler declined enough for him to be able to beat him.

Comment

A different take...

I posted on this thread before, but from a different perspective.

Today's take: The fight - to use the broadest of terms - was a tactical bore and more of chess match that a boxing match, neither man's finest hour, although to the victor went the spoils...

Yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        just to add to the last two posts haggler's physical abilities such as speed and reflex's were much higher level against Duran than the Leonard fight and Duran made no demands about the length of the bout.
        Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Leonard felt that way as well, as he was in attendance for that fight and right after it, decided he would finally fight Hagler, as he felt Hagler declined enough for him to be able to beat him.
        Yes! I think that's expliciting, in a way, what Rightsideup is saying, Anthony. Leonard was still doubtful about his chances, in my opinion. Everyone knew and felt that Hagler was one of the most dominant middleweight champ ever. So Leonard ask for a 12 rounder, for bigger gloves, for a huge ring, everything to which Hagler agreed without any hesitation, so sure he was to win it. Leonard largely duped him, ambushed him. And most experts agreed with Hagler at the time. I remember myself thinking: "Leonard is really going to meet his match there... Ouch!" We all know the rest...

Panamaniac, you're right: but that's also why it was so compelling. Brilliance from two legends. Sometimes, chess matches, fighters so cleaver they make it tremendously difficult to fight them, make for appearently dull fights. But in my opinion, in this case you also have to appreciate the context and the significance...

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          I maybe in the minority but I was looking forward to a rematch. I thought it was a good match between to crafty professionals and would have enjoyed seeing them go at it again. I also would have liked to see marvin give tommy a rematch again but for different reasons.
          One of my favorite fights.

Comment

Working...
          X