Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Boxing Championship?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't just make a straight comparison of UFC to boxing. One is a promotional company the other is a sport

Boxing has its problems, following the MMA model isn't the way to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      Even if there's a rule that there will be two title fights a year in each division, regardless of injuries, etc.?

I mean, when you really break down the BS and hold people to rules and enforce them, this can work. I understand **** happens, but the show must go on as they say.
      fighters want to unify
      us fans want them to unify

but the sport needs them not to

imho

a guy cant fight everyone and if theres 1 champ, it can take a long time for a guy to get his turn. and if a guy gets injured, we kinda start over ??

as for fees, i think of them as paying rent.

i expect many pee monkeys

Comment

It's already a joke imo.

However, I see the sanctioning fee elimination as a possibly draw. These guys have to get tired of dumping part of their purse to that garbage. Why should a fighter have to pay for that anyway? Don't they have enough things coming out of their purses, with trainers, medical and so on?
        Yer but unless you have a boxing union were all boxers can air their grievances and come up with a way to start the ball rolling i dont see how one boxer can make a difference.
        They need a active fighters union were they can get together and go up against these orgs united.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
          fighters want to unify
          us fans want them to unify

but the sport needs them not to

imho

a guy cant fight everyone and if theres 1 champ, it can take a long time for a guy to get his turn. and if a guy gets injured, we kinda start over ??

as for fees, i think of them as paying rent.

i expect many pee monkeys
          No, you wouldn't have to start over. Just strip the champ and when he comes back, he fights the number two guy and if he wins, he gets his shot. The way things are, it's a joke. You've got like 60 active champions. What's the point in being a champion?

As far as unifications go, TC unified 140 last year. He's the first one since Hopkins and how long did it stay unified? After two weeks, the IBF stripped him before he moved up in weight. As things go, you just don't have a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
            Yer but unless you have a boxing union were all boxers can air their grievances and come up with a way to start the ball rolling i dont see how one boxer can make a difference.
            They need a active fighters union were they can get together and go up against these orgs united.
            Oh it would take someone with major money to offer and set things up. The ABCs would eventually go out of business, as they should. I mean, as a boxer, if you have to pay the sanc fee to fight for an abc strap, or you fight in the ubc without it and make comparable money or the same money or even more money, why fight for the ABCs?

It would be a long battle. Don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day, you'd have 9 champs instead of the 70 we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Holystroke3 View Post
              You can't just make a straight comparison of UFC to boxing. One is a promotional company the other is a sport

And what is the way to fix it?

Comment

No, you wouldn't have to start over. Just strip the champ and when he comes back, he fights the number two guy and if he wins, he gets his shot. The way things are, it's a joke. You've got like 60 active champions. What's the point in being a champion?

As far as unifications go, TC unified 140 last year. He's the first one since Hopkins and how long did it stay unified? After two weeks, the IBF stripped him before he moved up in weight. As things go, you just don't have a champion.
                there should be only 3 orgs. no silver/reg/diamond belts. this aint gasoline.

instead of me getting bent up over these obvious flaws in boxing (and i used to hulk out all the time), i just cancel out the politics and watch the interesting fights that do get made.

even if the sport did the right thing, would the promoters/networks ?

good stuff is on the horizon

Comment

If this Idea takes root the following things need to happen.

1) UBC needs have a boatload of capital to start.
                  2) A TV deal needs to be in place with a Major network. And get a whole lot of advertising
                  3) Sign a couple of Marquee names to an exclusive contract. (They can only fight in UBC)
                  4) Run monthly PPVS for a fraction of the price of Regular PPVs.
                  5) Have on screen talent that keep repeating that the UBC is the best of the best of Boxing

why is this sounding like pro wrestling??

Comment

Originally posted by Holystroke3 View Post
                    But the "MMA model" is the model used by pretty much every major sport in the US.

It's clearly the best way to fix boxing.

Comment

Folks are over-romanticizing the UFC, tbh.

The UFC became "the UFC" only after gobbling up WEC, PrideFC, Strikeforce, and a few other smaller companies, and featuring those company's star under their banner.

Conor McGregor was a friggin unicorn, and the UFC did give Jon Jones the space to grow into something, but the number of talents actually developed by the UFC wants in comparison to the stars that they poached from elsewhere.

The UFC doesn't have the luxury of doing the same thing in boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X