Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please stop listing IBO as a "World Title"!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
    - There has never been a recognized world heavyweight champion who ditched other belts to just wear the IBO.

But how amazing it would be if they did!

Imagine if Joshua, or wilder for that matter if he won a unification match said:

'Enough with the corruption, the manipulation of rankings, the differing standards for fighters depending upon their promoters financial influence, these (wba,c,o IBf) belts go in here (bin) and this (IBO belt) is available to any fighter from the top 5 of the boxers rankings who can beat me. I won't fight anyone outside the top 10 and I guarantee a defence against the number one ranked contender each year. I'm donating the fees from my fights that would've gone to these belts owners pockets to a charity for ex boxers who have fallen on hard times.'

I wouldn't miss the politics and the shady machinations of the sanctioning groups one bit...

Comment

Im pretty sure at one point the WBC was called a trash belt too

Comment

In early 1998, Roy Jones, Jr. announced that he was relinquishing his WBC light heavyweight title. In response, the WBC ordered a bout between Graciano Rocchigiani from Germany and the former champion Michael Nunn to fill the vacancy, sanctioning it as a world championship match. On 21 March 1998, Rocchigiani won the fight and a WBC belt; in the subsequent WBC rankings, he was listed as "Light-Heavyweight World Champion".

Jones, however, had a change of heart and asked if the WBC would reinstate him as the champion. In a move that violated nearly a dozen of its own regulations, the WBC granted the reinstatement.[citation needed] Rocchigiani received a letter from the WBC advising that the publication of his name as champion was a typographical error, and he had never been the official title holder.[citation needed]

Rocchigiani immediately filed a lawsuit against the WBC in a U.S. federal court, claiming that the organization's actions were both contrary to their own rules, and injurious to his earning potential (due to diminished professional stature). On 7 May 2003, the judge ruled in Rocchigiani's favor, awarding him $30 million (U.S.) in damages and reinstating him as a former WBC champion (Rocchigiani had lost a bout since his WBC title match).

The following day, the WBC sought protection by filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (i.e., corporate debt restructuring) in Puerto Rico. The organization spent the next 13 months trying to negotiate a six-figure settlement with Rocchigiani, but the fighter at first rejected the proposal.

On 11 June 2004, the WBC announced it would enter Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation (i.e., business closing and total asset sell-off) proceedings, effectively ending its existence. This action prompted some in the boxing community to plead with Rocchigiani to settle the dispute, which he did in mid-July 2004. The WBC continues

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
          So if Glass Joe was the WBC champion and Mike Tyson was the IBO champion , ppl would view Glass Joe as the true champion correct ?
          If you just have the IBO title, no ring no lineal title..you are not a world champion

Comment

Originally posted by SoulByThePound View Post
            In early 1998, Roy Jones, Jr. announced that he was relinquishing his WBC light heavyweight title. In response, the WBC ordered a bout between Graciano Rocchigiani from Germany and the former champion Michael Nunn to fill the vacancy, sanctioning it as a world championship match. On 21 March 1998, Rocchigiani won the fight and a WBC belt; in the subsequent WBC rankings, he was listed as "Light-Heavyweight World Champion".

Jones, however, had a change of heart and asked if the WBC would reinstate him as the champion. In a move that violated nearly a dozen of its own regulations, the WBC granted the reinstatement.[citation needed] Rocchigiani received a letter from the WBC advising that the publication of his name as champion was a typographical error, and he had never been the official title holder.[citation needed]

Rocchigiani immediately filed a lawsuit against the WBC in a U.S. federal court, claiming that the organization's actions were both contrary to their own rules, and injurious to his earning potential (due to diminished professional stature). On 7 May 2003, the judge ruled in Rocchigiani's favor, awarding him $30 million (U.S.) in damages and reinstating him as a former WBC champion (Rocchigiani had lost a bout since his WBC title match).

The following day, the WBC sought protection by filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (i.e., corporate debt restructuring) in Puerto Rico. The organization spent the next 13 months trying to negotiate a six-figure settlement with Rocchigiani, but the fighter at first rejected the proposal.

On 11 June 2004, the WBC announced it would enter Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation (i.e., business closing and total asset sell-off) proceedings, effectively ending its existence. This action prompted some in the boxing community to plead with Rocchigiani to settle the dispute, which he did in mid-July 2004. The WBC continues
            Someone should write a book about the **** these organisations have pulled over time.

More I think about it the more I like the IBO.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
              If you just have the IBO title, no ring no lineal title..you are not a world champion
              If you don't have the WBC, WBA, IBF or WBO title, you're not a world champion. Boxing has four recognized world titles. The IBO, Ring and Lineal are not among them.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                If you don't have the WBC, WBA, IBF or WBO title, you're not a world champion. Boxing has four recognized world titles. The IBO, Ring and Lineal are not among them.
                I don't think this is strictly true. Some people do recognize the Ring or Lineal title, indeed some boxing fans rate those titles higher than the 4 belts just because they don't come with the same political shenanigans.

Those four belts only have any value whatsoever because people choose to invest that value in them. It doesn't come from the conduct of the individual bodies, because it's often indefensible as the Roy Jones Jr example above shows so clearly.

Even within the 4 there are levels. I've seen you rate the WBC as in some way better in posts on the forum and there are some people that still don't recognise the WBO as much of a title for instance given its ignominious beginnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
                  I don't think this is strictly true.
                  The fighters, networks, promoters, managers, world governments and the sanctioning bodies themselves have made it pretty clear those four titles are the recognized world championships of boxing. There are no other titles that have that level of recognition among so many.

Some people do recognize the Ring or Lineal title, indeed some boxing fans rate those titles higher than the 4 belts just because they don't come with the same political shenanigans.
                  HBO's lead promoter bought the Ring and now the Ring has more political shenanigans than any other title. Ring wasn't a recognized world title before the purchase and it's certainly not now. As for the lineal title, it doesn't actually exist. It's a mythical concept. Held in high esteem by some, but not an official recognized world championship.

Comment

Working...
                  X