Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The notion that older Heavyweights couldn't beat Heavyweight's the size of today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
    ...if he was taller and heavier
    Nope, just the way he was. Louis destroyed bigger guys with ease.

Comment

Only truly great fighters that were in extraordinary shape could dominate Wlad, I mean just look at those bulging biceps, that pumped up chest, shredded back and abdomen!

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
        ...if he was taller and heavier
        Hahahaha. Yep.

Because Joe Louis did so great against little Marciano.

I know, I know, he was past his prime.

FAT JOE B aka #52 is a prime example of an Amerikan who is terrified because the mythology of his boxing heroes is thrown into question by the emergence of European heavweights as the dominant force in HW boxing.

It's people who feel some kind of emotional tie to those old boxers via nostalgia or whatever who seem to feel the most compelled to try to continually denigrate the Klitschkos (and they did the same thing to Lewis when he was still active).

Logic says that the "new" heavyweight era of Lewis and K-Bros should be judged differently. How can one even consider a relative runt like 5' 11" and 185 pound Marciano competing with Lewis or a Klitschko?

And no, it's not just about size, it's about size and skill, and the Klitschkos have plenty of both, as did Lewis.

It's really not fair to fighters from these two very different eras to speculate on them fighting each other.

But that isn't going to stop people from making troll threads like this one.
        Last edited by The Nephilim; 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Nope, just the way he was. Louis destroyed bigger guys with ease.
          Are you trying to say Joe Louis would beat the Klitschkos??

Comment

To say Joe Louis couldn't beat guys like Sanders, Brewster, Peter, Briggs, and others is really an insult. I mean, those guys aren't very good either.

People say "Oh well....other Heavyweights fought bums too, not just the Klitschko's".

But other heavyweights also had great fighters or very good fighters opposite them. The only great fight opposite either Klitschko is themselves. The best fighters either Klitschko beat were Byrd and Haye, as far as ability.

Comment

The biggest problem for many of these guys is that the "new" heavyweight era of Lennox and the Klitschkos can also accurately be called the "post-American" heavyweight era.

If there were no Klitschkos or Pulevs around now and you had Amerikan guys like Seth Mitchell and Deontay Wilder and Cris "Crybaby" Arreola with world title belts, all you would hear from the same people is what a "great and competitive" heavyweight era this is.

It's all very obvious and very amusing, if also annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                To say Joe Louis couldn't beat guys like Sanders, Brewster, Peter, Briggs, and others is really an insult. I mean, those guys aren't very good either.

People say "Oh well....other Heavyweights fought bums too, not just the Klitschko's".

But other heavyweights also had great fighters or very good fighters opposite them. The only great fight opposite either Klitschko is themselves. The best fighters either Klitschko beat were Byrd and Haye, as far as ability.
                Are you trying to discredit the great Klitschkos? What is your point??

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
                  The biggest problem for many of these guys is that the "new" heavyweight era of Lennox and the Klitschkos can also accurately be called the "post-American" heavyweight era.

If there were no Klitschkos or Pulevs around now and you had Amerikan guys like Seth Mitchell and Deontay Wilder and Cris "Crybaby" Arreola with world title belts, all you would hear from the same people is what a "great and competitive" heavyweight era this is.

It's all very obvious and very amusing, if also annoying.
                  No....you wouldn't. Arreola is a damn fat ass, and I predicted Mitchell as garbage right away, same goes for Wilder, only he'll take longer to be exposed because he won't step up for another couple years.

I mean compare Arreola, Mitchell, Thompson, and these American heavyweights to the likes of Holyfield, Bowe, and Moorer. It's not even close, you can easily see the drop off in skill level since the Lennox/Holyfield/Bowe era of the 90's concluded.

I mean Chris Byrd and David Haye are the two best fighters either Klitschko beat, and they both belong to Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    No....you wouldn't. Arreola is a damn fat ass, and I predicted Mitchell as garbage right away, same goes for Wilder, only he'll take longer to be exposed because he won't step up for another couple years.

I mean compare Arreola, Mitchell, Thompson, and these American heavyweights to the likes of Holyfield, Bowe, and Moorer. It's not even close, you can easily see the drop off in skill level since the Lennox/Holyfield/Bowe era of the 90's concluded.

I mean Chris Byrd and David Haye are the two best fighters either Klitschko beat, and they both belong to Wlad.
                    You're not fooling anybody. If Arreola was dominating right now we wouldn't hear all of the trash talk about him. He'd just be another "great" Amerikan heavyweight in the supposed long line of them.

It's easy to look at fighters who were heavily hyped in Amerika like Sam Peter (not Amerikan but black, close enough), Calvin Brock, Arreola, and others, and dismiss them as "garbage" and whatever now that they've been destroyed by a Klitschko.

However, if there had never been any Klitschkos and these guys were dominating, the hype machine for them would have continued. There's no reason why it wouldn't have.

It's all a matter of how these things are portrayed in the corrupt Amerikan sports media.

Comment

Tony "Two Ton" Gallento! W80 (57)ko.....L26 (6tko loss) never Ko'd Draw5
                      defeated by;
                      Max Baer tko
                      Buddy Baer tko
                      Joe Louis tko
                      Arturo Godoy (twice) tko == not many wanted to fight Godoy at that time he was a very tuff opponent. Not many wanted to fight Tony either, he was a brawler who could take huge punches (stopped 6 times in 111 bouts) and was extremely strong. Don't play this man up like he was a "mark" he was an awkward guy who would fight anyone anytime and not many contenders actually took him on. This was NOT a roll over I'm dead bum. He was not a skilled boxer by any means but with 57 ko wins in 80 wins he could punch a little!

Theres been a few men in boxing that are short on talent but they love to fight and Tony Gallento was one of thoughs men. If any of you could have met him inperson you'd like him. He was a funny guy who loved to have a good time. He was unorthodox in the ring, its another way to spell, Dangerous! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X