Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roach's padwork all wrong to prepare someone for counter-punchers ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach's padwork all wrong to prepare someone for counter-punchers ?

First, look at these vids and tell me what are the stark differences in each coaches mittwork.

Fast-fwd to .15 sec & 5:51 of vid

Roach's padwork is an excellent piece of tactical training against counter-punchers
    27.78%
    Roach's padwork is the wrong way to simulate on how to fight counter-punchers
    72.22%

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
    First, look at these vids and tell me what are the stark differences in each coaches mittwork.

Fast-fwd to .15 sec & 5:51 of vid

roach doesn't really know how to incorporate head movement (slipping along with bobbing and weaving) defense into his mitt work. Mike Tyson on the other hand actually trained on the pads for those skills.

You can clearly see roach's fighters suffer defensively due to the way they train. Their main method of defense is using foot movement around the ring. It's not the most efficient way to protect yourself.

Comment

all roches game plan is for all his fighters his hit then move to a side doesn't teach them t fight going backwards also this is why pacquiao has only had sucsess against slow flat footed guys the walk forward because roches gameplan is perfect for those kind of fighters but a good counter puncher or a skillful aggressive fighter would beat any of his fighters

Comment

That's a lot speculation... I'm not a big Roach fan or anything but unless you've been there for a couple of his fight camps, I don't see how you can possibly make an accusation like this.

Comment

When I use to train my nephew what I did was I would have him throw a combo than I would throw a quick punch with the mitts I would train him to duck, slip or block that punch and he would than come back with a counter of his own. That is the proper way Roach is to slow to do that. I trained my nephew to 2009 National champ and he dislocated his shoulder in the national golden gloves to end his carrer it would have been a good fight Raushee warren vs Hector Luna which I know my nephew would have clean his clock, Had power of a 141 pounder fighting as a flywieght. That is why I know Hopkins faked that dislocted shoulder crap. The Labrum is usually torn when the shoulder is dislocated requiring surgery. He dislocted it again 8 months after his surgery sparring Joesph Diaz which was an even match after 1 year off. Doctor told him not to box again. So thats the end of that and I quit coaching

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            When I use to train my nephew what I did was I would have him throw a combo than I would throw a quick punch with the mitts I would train him to duck, slip or block that punch and he would than come back with a counter of his own. That is the proper way Roach is to slow to do that. I trained my nephew to 2009 National champ and he dislocated his shoulder in the national golden gloves to end his carrer it would have been a good fight Raushee warren vs Hector Luna which I know my nephew would have clean his clock, Had power of a 141 pounder fighting as a flywieght. That is why I know Hopkins faked that dislocted shoulder crap. The Labrum is usually torn when the shoulder is dislocated requiring surgery. He dislocted it again 8 months after his surgery sparring Joesph Diaz which was an even match after 1 year off. Doctor told him not to box again. So thats the end of that and I quit coaching
            It's a pity you stopped.

Comment

Comment

I don't think any trainer could train Pacquiao to beat Marquez at this point, he just has him worked out.

Where Roach did look bad was the Khan v Peterson fight, even though I felt Khan won, it's clear that Roach hasn't improved upon any of Khan's weaknesses, some of the things he did looked desperately amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                  That's a lot speculation... I'm not a big Roach fan or anything but unless you've been there for a couple of his fight camps, I don't see how you can possibly make an accusation like this.
                  It's not speculation at all. Just look at the mittwork and watch Dumbquiao apply the same counters on fight night. Obviously, I don't think they put out the entire gameplan for the world to see prior to fight night. But, the end product looks alot like the padwork they show in their vids.

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about is the PAC - Hatton fight. Remember when Hatton and May Sr. were clownin' Roach's padwork on 24/7, hook and roll under to counter Ricky's lead left hook. PAC and Roach showed exactly how they were gonna counter Ricky and the rest is history !!

The reason I don't think Roach's way of padwork doesn't work against someone like Juanita is because if you noticed, Roach is either standing still or moving forward, but someone like Juanita is not a stationary target and is constantly backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
                    It's not speculation at all. Just look at the mittwork and watch Dumbquiao apply the same counters on fight night. Obviously, I don't think they put out the entire gameplan for the world to see prior to fight night. But, the end product looks alot like the padwork they show in their vids.

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about is the PAC - Hatton fight. Remember when Hatton and May Sr. were clownin' Roach's padwork on 24/7, hook and roll under to counter Ricky's lead left hook. PAC and Roach showed exactly how they were gonna counter Ricky and the rest is history !!

The reason I don't think Roach's way of padwork doesn't work against someone like Juanita is because if you noticed, Roach is either standing still or moving forward, but someone like Juanita is not a stationary target and is constantly backing up.
                    Consider, for just a moment, that a youtube video might not be giving you full insight to an entire, elite-level training camp... Sorry, but this just sounds like internet know-it-all stuff. I've been in the gym and observed several PPV-level fighters in training and have seen how the speculation that people make online is rarely accurate in terms of what's really happening in the gym. There's so much more going on than what they show on youtube.

Comment

Working...
                    X