No announcement yet.

Peds of the past

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peds of the past

im sure steroids wernt around in the old days but at the same time cocane came in cans of coke and many drugs were completly legal.

sooo do you think the old timers used alot of pain killers in the past or other kinds of drugs as performance enhancing drugs? is there any recorded evidence they might of?, and would you guys even consider things like pain killers as a performance enhancing drug?

define old timers?

testosterone was first discovered in 1935 and synthesized shortly after

i know in most sports, amphetamines were rampant at the turn of the century and on

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
      define old timers?

testosterone was first discovered in 1935 and synthesized shortly after

i know in most sports, amphetamines were rampant at the turn of the century and on
      pre 1935 sounds good.

do you know when drug testing came about?

Comment

not certain.... i was in a group that had to do a presentation on PEDs in baseball and this was a fun fact from our discovery

existed previously, and therefore introduced performance enhancing drugs (PED) to the sport. A popular drug from the end of the nineteenth century was called Brown-Séquard Elixir, a concoction made from the testicles of dogs and guinea pigs sold as an injection. While its efficacy has since been completely debunked, this elixir is certainly portentous given the modern day abuse of anabolic steroids, as the philosophy and general principles shadow currently abused drugs. Use of pharmaceutical grade steroids and amphetamines has been recorded as early as 1961, although it is likely that there has been some use since testosterone was first synthesized in 1935 by Butenandt and Ruzicka (who consequently won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for their work.) Tom House (MLB 1971-1978), is quoted as having used “steroids they wouldn’t give horses”, and describes PED abuse as wide spread in his era.

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
          not certain.... i was in a group that had to do a presentation on PEDs in baseball and this was a fun fact from our discovery
          wow....atleast it was an injection and not something they had to drink.

thanks for the information

Comment

They likely took stimulents I heard Dock Ellis say that 90% of baseball players took stimulents when he was playing. Old time players used tobacco to help performance now they have better drugs.
            Last edited by Holtol; 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
              They likely took stimulents I heard Dock Ellis say that 90% of baseball players took stimulents when he was playing. Old time players used tobacco to help performance now they have better drugs.
              I wouldn't consider amphetamines (NOT todays meth btw) as a PED.....I've taken Benzadrine before and the only "enhancing" it did was make me wide awake and wired for 36 hours. I'd say a nice cold beer makes for a better PED

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                I wouldn't consider amphetamines (NOT todays meth btw) as a PED.....I've taken Benzadrine before and the only "enhancing" it did was make me wide awake and wired for 36 hours. I'd say a nice cold beer makes for a better PED

Poet
                Watched a documentary a while ago called "Big River Man" It was about a guy named Martin Strel swimming the the amazon river he would drink two bottels of wine a day while swimming. He swam the amazon the same distance as across the Atlantic Ocean in under 60 days which is a world record and he is a middle aged man also.

I've heard some of the old time boxers used drink alcohol when they were fighting. Some long grueling fights that were over 50 rounds it may have helped them to start drinking to dullen the pain and mental anguish. Just like it helped Martin Strel break many world records for endurance swims. I think your right Poet alcohol can be a performance enhancer.

Comment

IMO 99% of all top rated Heavyweights of the last 20yrs have used steroids (PEDs)

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
                    Watched a documentary a while ago called "Big River Man" It was about a guy named Martin Strel swimming the the amazon river he would drink two bottels of wine a day while swimming. He swam the amazon the same distance as across the Atlantic Ocean in under 60 days which is a world record and he is a middle aged man also.

I've heard some of the old time boxers used drink alcohol when they were fighting. Some long grueling fights that were over 50 rounds it may have helped them to start drinking to dullen the pain and mental anguish. Just like it helped Martin Strel break many world records for endurance swims. I think your right Poet alcohol can be a performance enhancer.
                    It sure as hell helps dull it afterwards.....until you wake up the next day :hah9:

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X