No announcement yet.

GGG to Ward: "You are a dead man to me!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Meanwhile, HBO is pushing Kov v Ward and doing everything they can to not make Ward v GGG most likely because they know Ward would not only beat GGG but humble him. As soon as HBO execs think GGG has the best chance to beat Ward, then they will push to make the fight.

Must be nice to have your record protected by your network.

Let's hope the recent back and forth makes HBO push for the Ward v GGG fight. I think a lot of us would like to see it.
    It doesn't matter if Ward fights Kovalev or GGG because either of them will knock his non fighting, overrated ass out. Death from below or death from above. Ward can take his pick. So he will fight guys like number 31 rated Smith in his home town of Oakland once every other year instead.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      It doesn't matter if Ward fights Kovalev or GGG because either of them will knock his non fighting, overrated ass out. Death from below or death from above. Ward can take his pick. So he will fight guys like number 31 rated Smith in his home town of Oakland once every other year instead.
      ... Still, Ward may not fight any of them, but also pretend he is willing to...

Comment

What about the time Lampley said GGG/Ward isn't a fight fans really want to see or would be compelling? what about after the Canelo fight with them saying GGG/Canelo would be the next super fight.

You need to take everything into account, not just the one time where it fits your argument.

Why is it hilarious? If you are HBO, would you put the guy you've been marketing and giving a huge push in with a fighter many believe to be the 2nd best clincher in the world?

I agree that now is the best time for GGG to beat Ward, which is why I posted I hope the back and forth leads to them fighting.
        Fixed it for you and it also answers your question. Ward and Hunter confirmed they want "2 tuneups" so let him have his tuneups and we can resume this conversation in 2016, no point in speculating anything when they're not fighting this year.

Comment

Ward doesn't have the talent available to face to build himself up into a PPV attraction IMO. Besides, it takes a lot more to be a PPV attraction to casual fans than just wins.
          Dude please, every time the GGG-Ward things comes up, the strength of Ward's vs GGG's resume is brought up.

Ward, having fought the opposition he has fought, should already be there. And I think that's what his problem is; he believes himself to be a draw much bigger than what he is. And he should be, but for some reason he can't put bums in seats.

Comment

oh good grief this guy been using mayweathers name for a few years trying to make himself a bigger name. i love watching ggg fight but for someone who whines all day about people avoiding him he should be bugging the **** out his promoter for a ward fight. this whole thing is ridiculous its nothing but excuses from fans. this is quickly turning into may pac number 2 where all we hear is excuses on why it cant happen until ward moves up to 175 and the fight is dead. obviously it didnt make sense the last year or so cause of wards issues but now there is no reason they cant make it happen. they could fight on the same weekend next fight hype the fight all up call eachother out and it would be huge no doubt about it
            Last edited by Cinci Champ; 06-18-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlasterWraps View Post
              Dude please, every time the GGG-Ward things comes up, the strength of Ward's vs GGG's resume is brought up.

Ward, having fought the opposition he has fought, should already be there. And I think that's what his problem is; he believes himself to be a draw much bigger than what he is. And he should be, but for some reason he can't put bums in seats.
              boxing is 90% business and 10% skill....I try to focus on the 10%...based off the 10% part, SOG beats GGG....I don't give a f'ck about the 90% part because as fans that's the part the stops us from seeing the fights we wanna see

Comment

Humean, I watched Lampley downplay the idea of a ward/ggg fight before ward had his contract squabbles, with Ward standing right next to him. I am not making that up.

As for ward/kov or GGG/ward which do you really think HBO is more interested in making? Its more advantageous for HBO to have Kov beat Ward now, eliminating the need for a GGG/Ward fight-the one fight where GGG would not be the favorite going in.

Which guy would HBO rather see lose-Kov, GGG or Ward? I'm guessing Ward, given he commands the highest purse and garners the lowest ratings.
                BEFORE Ward had his contract problems. So you are going back what... three years at least? A lot has changed since then! For one thing, Ward has not been fighting and GGG has. Golovkin's career has advanced considerably in that time period while Ward has been forgotten by the majority of fight fans.

Ward fans really have to move into 2015 and stop living on Ward's accolades from the past which no longer matter today.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                  oh good grief this guy been using mayweathers name for a few years trying to make himself a bigger name. i love watching ggg fight but for someone who whines all day about people avoiding him he should be bugging the **** out his promoter for a ward fight. this whole thing is ridiculous its nothing but excuses from fans. this is quickly turning into may pac number 2 where all we hear is excuses on why it cant happen until ward moves up to 175 and the fight is dead.
                  EXACTLY!!!!!...this is why some people thinks he's a fraud and his team is full of sh't

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                    Contrary to a lot of Ward's critics his ratings were pretty good on HBO, he doesn't put many bums on seats but he did do solid ratings. There is no reason why Ward-GGG couldn't be made into an HBO PPV fight if only Ward would actually fight. It is not as such about Ward being a PPV star, I agree that that is very unlikely, but rather that this particular fight would be PPV. I certainly don't see Ward-Kov being anymore a PPV fight than Ward-GGG.

I don't think the odds would favour Kov against Ward but not GGG against Ward, whatever the odds of either fight would be they would be pretty close.

Froch-Golovkin is a Sky PPV fight, but not an HBO PPV fight.

You honestly think HBO are turning down better opponents for Golovkin in order to safeguard his record? You really have that low an opinion on how good Golovkin is to think that is happening?

I think HBO want Golovkin in a PPV fight and building towards a potential Golovkin-Ward fight makes a lot of sense. Now it is possible they are thinking more about Ward-Kovalev but that is simply because Ward could be moving permanently to 175, i mean this Smith fight is at 172 for a reason and that reason is certainly not to weaken the mighty Paul Smith.
                    Dude, you are one of the smarter posters on NSB. You know that's not how you build a PPV star-by putting him on against a non star who has never headlined a major PPV.

You are right-neither ward/kov nor ward/ggg are PPV fights. Ok, maybe Froch as well.

I think the weight would play a big factor in who would be favored, which is why it makes sense to think neither Ward or GGG would be favored moving up.

You honestly think HBO are turning down better opponents for Golovkin in order to safeguard his record? You really have that low an opinion on how good Golovkin is to think that is happening?

Did I post or imply your 1st question? No, so why are you pretending I am making this argument rather than addressing the specific points made? My opinion of GGG as a fighter, which you know from my posts is high, is in no way related to what HBO is doing with him. You know this, but are trying to make it about me rather than what we both have seen happen on TV.

Its not about his talent, its about the competition for ratings. Why would HBO risk GGG fighting a guy [you pointed out "HBO isn't in the ward business anymore"] he isn't favored against when that same guy can fight someone he would be the underdog against? That is just smart business on HBO's part.

If kov beats ward, no need for ward GGG. If Ward beats Kov, he then is going to have to move down from 175 back to 168 to fight GGG, which as we've seen with other fighters going back down could be problematic.

I think its just HBO trying to protect their investment. why is that so far fetched, especially in this climate?

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
                      BEFORE Ward had his contract problems. So you are going back what... three years at least? A lot has changed since then! For one thing, Ward has not been fighting and GGG has. Golovkin's career has advanced considerably in that time period while Ward has been forgotten by the majority of fight fans.

Ward fans really have to move into 2015 and stop living on Ward's accolades from the past which no longer matter today.
                      no doubt about it but after this week there is no reason they could not fight near the same date next then make it happen. i mean seriously for a fan base that whines all day long about fighters avoiding ggg you guys are seriously going to use ward is boring or ward is not a big name as an excuse? are u kidding me? we all know that after saturday when ward fights again in few months it will be against a bigger name there is literally no reason him and ggg couldnt fight on or near the same day and hype a fight say in october then fight this time next year. i mean good grief no ones saying it should happen next but a year from now is very realistic

Comment

Working...
                      X