No announcement yet.

If oil is a fossil fuel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If oil is a fossil fuel

(And I'm not certain that it's not.) Then why are they routinely finding oil at depths of between 6 and 7 miles below sea level? And if the US proven reserves of 20 billion barrels is a meaningful quantity, then why was it only 5 billion barrels a hundred years ago and just a tiny fraction of what we can extract from oil shale (over a trillion barrels.)

Half of the electricity in the US is made from coal. Why don't we copy France and replace that with nuclear. Convert all of that coal to gasoline. Convert all semi trucks to natural gas (saving 3 million barrels per day.) And become completely energy independent within the next decade. These high fuel prices are hitting the poor disproportionately in the form of not only energy, but food, clothing, just about everything they buy.

Food for thought:

http://www.pnas.org/content/99/17/10...=&FIRSTINDEX=0
    Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM.

Because the technology involved in drilling, refining, and locating it has improved. To imply it is a renewable resource though

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      Because the technology involved in drilling, refining, and locating it has improved. To imply it is a renewable resource though
      To imply that we only have 2% of the world's oil . We have centuries worth of oil shale alone in this country, so whether or not it's renewable isn't a pressing issue. By then we'll no longer be using oil, coal, natural gas, methanol, etc.

Simple question, how do dinosaur remains end up 7 miles below sea level?
      Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

not dinosaur, coral fossil

Comment

Extracting oil from shales is expensive. Nuclear is a valid form of energy; very safe but it should be operated away from populated areas to make the public feel safer. I'll post when I'm not drunk off my face

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
            Fair enough, but half a world away from the deepest ocean? (also 7 miles deep)

And any idea how the methane (also considered a "fossil" fuel) that gives Jupiter's moon Titan its yellow glow was created?
            Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
              haha i don't think it coral fossil, it comes from micro organism like plankton. However, i agree that we need to build more nuclear or even wind mills. However, american's are stupid they think nuclear power plants blow up and random fake facts, but nuclear energy is the cleanest energy in the world. As for wind mill power, well it just looks ugly according to most americans. So thats a no go. People are just so stupid, they complain about gas prices, then when they are presented with alternative energy, they reject, how does that make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                Extracting oil from shales is expensive.
                It is, but the methods of extracting it have improved and dropped in cost. Which is why we're starting to do so much of it west of San Antonio, Texas and up in the Dakotas.

Nuclear is a valid form of energy; very safe but it should be operated away from populated areas to make the public feel safer. I'll post when I'm not drunk off my face
                It is probably the cleanest, cheapest and safest forms of energy production currently available that can come anywhere close to fulfilling our electricity requirements. France produces 80% of her electricity from nuclear, yet most of our nuclear plants are towards the end of their useful lives. For some reason we're not willing to build new (safer, more efficient) plants or oil refineries for that matter.

Comment

$$$$$$$ Talks

Comment

Originally posted by the_ilest View Post
                    haha i don't think it coral fossil, it comes from micro organism like plankton. However, i agree that we need to build more nuclear or even wind mills. However, american's are stupid they think nuclear power plants blow up and random fake facts, but nuclear energy is the cleanest energy in the world. As for wind mill power, well it just looks ugly according to most americans. So thats a no go. People are just so stupid, they complain about gas prices, then when they are presented with alternative energy, they reject, how does that make sense.
                    You have people complaining about how wind turbines kills birds, the transmission lines of solar, the ecological damage of hydroelectric power. I'd buy a Chevy Volt tomorrow if I thought we would have a future of cheap energy prices and not

Comment

Working...
                    X