Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else believe that Rocky Marciano's record was not exactly "so special"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else believe that Rocky Marciano's record was not exactly "so special"?

Does anyone else believe that Rocky Marciano's record was not exactly "so special"?

Considering the records of his opponents, the ages of the great fighters he fought, and something I don't really hear people discuss too much.
    The influence and strength of the Italian mafia during the time of his reign.
    The Mafia was at its peak *strength* while Marciano was winning.

*Strength meaning they were ruling recklessly and not so silent. Killings, racketeering, extortion to loan-sharking, prostitution, drugs and alcohol, robbery, kidnapping, and murder. Makes one wonder if they had some influence in his fights.

I mean it is fine to forgive the negative and criminal actions of a people, but let us never forget.
    This is not a hate thread, just a realistic viewpoint with definite possibilities to discuss.

Originally posted by dondi330 View Post

Considering the records of his opponents, the ages of the great fighters he fought, and something I don't really hear people discuss too much.

*Strength meaning they were ruling recklessly and not so silent. Killings, racketeering, extortion to loan-sharking, prostitution, drugs and alcohol, robbery, kidnapping, and murder. Makes one wonder if they had some influence in his fights.

I mean it is fine to forgive the negative and criminal actions of a people, but let us never forget.
    This is not a hate thread, just a realistic viewpoint with definite possibilities to discuss.
    So you're saying that it was the mafia's fault that his oponnents got viciously knocked out? I mean I see your points but that's taking it a bit too far, also his record is special because even though the records and age of his opponents weren't all-time greats you have to respect he started boxing in his 20's turned pro at 24 and beat the best of his era, until there was no one else to beat. So you have to give credit to the guy, he had heart and won wars.

Comment

49-0 is 49-0..its not like he fought bums..he fought everyone there was to fight

Comment

Been saying it. Who's to say that Rocco's fight weren't fixed?
        Last edited by AztecWanker; 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PR Boxer View Post
          So you're saying that it was the mafia's fault that his oponnents got viciously knocked out? I mean I see your points but that's taking it a bit too far, also his record is special because even though the records and age of his opponents weren't all-time greats you have to respect he started boxing in his 20's turned pro at 24 and beat the best of his era, until there was no one else to beat. So you have to give credit to the guy, he had heart and won wars.
          "So you're saying that it was the mafia's fault that his oponnents got viciously knocked out? "
          Do u believe taking a dive would look staged if you or your family's life was on the line. I would take a bat to my face in order for my child to live.
          Originally posted by larrysmith View Post
          49-0 is 49-0..its not like he fought bums..he fought everyone there was to fight
          Check his record then respond...and ages of the fighters he fought.

and did you guys read everything I wrote?

Comment

The mafia had nothing to do with his fights but he did fall in with that crowd after he retired. He had a lot of business dealings with Pierno DiGravio, who was eventually assassinated from range with a high-powered rifle while golfing.

Comment

Originally posted by dondi330 View Post

Damn, i never thought it that way. You put me to think now!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Billolden View Post
                The mafia had nothing to do with his fights but he did fall in with that crowd after he retired. He had a lot of business dealings with Pierno DiGravio, who was eventually assassinated from range with a high-powered rifle while golfing.
                How could you make a statement like"The mafia had nothing to do with his fights"?....you have no idea. I think it is very possible. Notice how I stated "I think", because I know it is not proven just like we have no proof that they did not influence.

Comment

Dammit, where is that guy. There was an old article of a guy who said, Marciano's opponents were badly beaten before they got in the ring with him.

Comment

Marciano was a good fighter, but not the spectactular wrecking ball his fans make him out to be.

He's been dropped by smaller men (Former Middleweight Archie Moore), older men (Jersey Joe Walcott), and damn near finished off by journeymen (Ted Lowry).

He only gets his accolades because of his "0".

I'd pick Frazier, Tyson, Liston, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes, Ali, Louis (prime, not the prehistoric version Marciano mopped up), and a ton of others over him any day of the week.

Most of them would knock the **** out of him, to be quite honest.

Comment

Working...
                    X