Is Roberto Duran the greatest lightweight Head to Head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Explain please........
    Whitaker outboxed his opponents first, he was the superior boxer, the guy who is driving the faster and better car. Duran on the other hand was more versatile and gave (me) different impressions. He outboxed, outsluggt and destroyed his opponents. It is a power thing, yes (thx poet). Its more of personal opinion, and I have chosen the wrong words for that. I love Whitakers fights and his style, like Ali, but I am more of a Frazier, Tyson type of guy.

I really don't know if Whitaker had much chances against a prime Lightweight Duran (post 1975). I would give Whitaker better chances as a welter, but even than Duran would be the stronger guy if he trains like an animal and stays motivated.
    I know that many would refer to the Whitaker vs. Chavez fight as a comparison, but I don't see Chavez in a league with Duran, who was a much better boxer and had way more weapons. Imo mainly becuase of this fight manny guys see advantages for Whitaker.

@Ray: thx for the words and for the teaching. I look forward to any insides and any knowledge you have.
    I have watched all fights of Duran, which was accessible for me via Youtube and Boxingscene, not just the "classics" post 1980.

Maybe it wasn't right to mix the different stages of Durans carrer, but he evolved with the time and adapted more to the weightclasses, while he used controlled aggression as a lightweight. This controlled aggression would give him more advantages against Whitaker, than his controlled defensive style like in the Hagler fight. But it showed that he was versatile and therefore he is possibly the greatest lightweight head to head.

with best regards,
    69Lover

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      I think it's probably a power thing.....
      Probably. Some people are not as impressed by fighters unless they have a large number of KO's on their records.

Comment

Originally posted by 69Lover View Post
        Whitaker outboxed his opponents first, he was the superior boxer, the guy who is driving the faster and better car. Duran on the other hand was more versatile and gave (me) different impressions. He outboxed, outsluggt and destroyed his opponents. It is a power thing, yes (thx poet). Its more of personal opinion, and I have chosen the wrong words for that. I love Whitakers fights and his style, like Ali, but I am more of a Frazier, Tyson type of guy.

I really don't know if Whitaker had much chances against a prime Lightweight Duran (post 1975). I would give Whitaker better chances as a welter, but even than Duran would be the stronger guy if he trains like an animal and stays motivated.
        I know that many would refer to the Whitaker vs. Chavez fight as a comparison, but I don't see Chavez in a league with Duran, who was a much better boxer and had way more weapons. Imo mainly becuase of this fight manny guys see advantages for Whitaker.

@Ray: thx for the words and for the teaching. I look forward to any insides and any knowledge you have.
        I have watched all fights of Duran, which was accessible for me via Youtube and Boxingscene, not just the "classics" post 1980.

Maybe it wasn't right to mix the different stages of Durans carrer, but he evolved with the time and adapted more to the weightclasses, while he used controlled aggression as a lightweight. This controlled aggression would give him more advantages against Whitaker, than his controlled defensive style like in the Hagler fight. But it showed that he was versatile and therefore he is possibly the greatest lightweight head to head.

with best regards,
        69Lover
        Understood. Thanks.

Comment

With regards to the power thing. I think it's fair to say that Pernell Whitaker won't have the power to keep Duran at bay. However, he could smart his way to a decision. My money would still be on Duran though.

Comment

Yeah, in general, I don't and never have really, regarded the "He doesn't have enough power to keep him off" argument as valid at all at the top level. Any fighter, when they have gotten to true championship status (I am not in any way, at all, talking about BS 'champions' like Malignaggi or David Diaz or other ****e like that), will have enough power and savvy to keep the other guy honest.

Think about Locche and Whitaker for two classic examples. Oscar vs a past his best (though not shot by any means) Whitaker and many thought said that Oscar's power would ruin him and that Oscar would just walk through everything. Did Whitaker even get hurt and did Oscar walk through anything? Nup.

whitaker had plenty of snap to keep Duran from 'walking through him' in my opinion. Very few champions have been able to 'walk through' other champs of a similar caliber and Whitaker was of the very greatest caliber. No one is walking through him.

Hell, even Tito had real trouble walking through him, and this was vs a guy who was shot, old, and only 5'6" (supposedly with no power at all either) vs Tito who was 5'11"- 6 foot straight and a power monster in his prime and he still couldn't walk through him. Tried his best though.
            Last edited by BennyST; 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              Yeah, in general, I don't and never have really, regarded the "He doesn't have enough power to keep him off" argument as valid at all at the top level. Any fighter, when they have gotten to true championship status (I am not in any way, at all, talking about BS 'champions' like Malignaggi or David Diaz or other ****e like that), will have enough power and savvy to keep the other guy honest.

Think about Locche and Whitaker for two classic examples. Oscar vs a past his best (though not shot by any means) Whitaker and many thought said that Oscar's power would ruin him and that Oscar would just walk through everything. Did Whitaker even get hurt and did Oscar walk through anything? Nup.

whitaker had plenty of snap to keep Duran from 'walking through him' in my opinion. Very few champions have been able to 'walk through' other champs of a similar caliber and Whitaker was of the very greatest caliber. No one is walking through him.

Hell, even Tito had real trouble walking through him, and this was vs a guy who was shot, old, and only 5'6" (supposedly with no power at all either) vs Tito who was 5'11"- 6 foot straight and a power monster in his prime and he still couldn't walk through him. Tried his best though.
              Excellent points.

Comment

Working...
              X