Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my punches be faster and stronger if I lose weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my punches be faster and stronger if I lose weight?

Long story short I was 140kgs at the start of the month and now I am currently 127.3kgs. I improved my diet and am hoping to be at 100kgs by the end of the year.

My question is, I do some boxing training and I hit pretty hard on the boxing bag, i can just feel the power when I hit it... yeah yeah boxing bags dont hit back i know... anyway will I be able to punch faster and harder when I lose weight, I kept my protein intake high throughout my weight loss and will continue to do so to preserve whatever muscle I do have,or is it my fat body that is putting in the power to hit hard... SO yeah what you guys think

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post
    Long story short I was 140kgs at the start of the month and now I am currently 127.3kgs. I improved my diet and am hoping to be at 100kgs by the end of the year.

My question is, I do some boxing training and I hit pretty hard on the boxing bag, i can just feel the power when I hit it... yeah yeah boxing bags dont hit back i know... anyway will I be able to punch faster and harder when I lose weight, I kept my protein intake high throughout my weight loss and will continue to do so to preserve whatever muscle I do have,or is it my fat body that is putting in the power to hit hard... SO yeah what you guys think
    Too many variables.

1. Weight does make a difference in punch power.

2. Muscle mass is more important weight than fat.

3. Technique is massively important

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
      Too many variables.

^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
        Too many variables.

I always thought too much muscle mass would make a boxer stiff and can't punch properly. Yeah I think it is my weight, I don't really have much noticeable muscle but I have started lifting weights a little, I wonder if it will make me a stiff puncher though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post
          I always thought too much muscle mass would make a boxer stiff and can't punch properly.
          This is one of those old wives' tales that has largely disappeared from other sports but which lingers on in boxing like genital herpes.

No, strength training and resultant hypertrophy will not make you or anyone else stiff, inflexible, or "muscle bound". Of course, in the days after training you may experience DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), but this is a transient inflammatory response; in general proper strength training increases flexibility.

For *****s & giggles:
          https://youtu.be/TtIAmS7DiJE

Comment

yep, your punches will be faster and stronger, if you're not losing muscle mass..

Comment

Kudos to you. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Losing weight and keeping it off could be one of the hardest jobs there is.
              Losing weight will make you healthier, fitter and more confident, all components of a better fighter.
              As far as hand speed and power, look at Andy Ruiz. Even 40-50 pounds overweight, Ruiz still has quicker hands than most heavyweights.
              Hand speed (basically "fast coordination") has a lot to do with genetics, but can be improved with persistence and the right training. Good luck.

Comment

Do strength training while you are cutting weight

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
                  Do strength training while you are cutting weight
                  That's always easier said than done, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                  X