This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightsout_finit View Post
    None of that makes sense. He either ducked them or didn't?

Both bigger and stronger than anyone Floyd ever fought.
    You think that's a coincidence?
    Ridiculous. He didn't duck P.Will and even P.Will admits to that.

Don't know how he could be seen as ducking Margarito either. Arum stated that Floyd would fight Margarito but wanted guarantees connected to renewing that contract. I believe it was 10million for Cotto and Hatton, but Arum only offered 7million. Floyd also wanted 20 million for De La Hoya, and Arum repeatedly told him that the money not only wasn't there, but he had no interest in making that fight. So Floyd went off and did his own thing.

By the way:
    vs. Hatton -- Floyd's purse was 11 million
    vs. Cotto (albeit later) -- Floyd's purse was 32Million
    vs. De La Hoya -- Floyd's purse was 25million

So seems he got 28 million more than what he was begging Arum for. Now which side of that would you rather be on?

And Margarito didn't look so big and tough when he was getting steamrolled by Mosley, whom Floyd fought next. Mosley beat the breaks off that dude. Not saying a Floyd/Margarito fight would go the same way. Of course not. But you don't run from a bully to fight the guy who annihilated the bully. That's just common sense. It's not like Mosley won a cheeky decision. He destroyed Margarito.
    Last edited by travestyny; 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
      Ridiculous. He didn't duck P.Will and even P.Will admits to that.

Don't know how he could be seen as ducking Margarito either. Arum stated that Floyd would fight Margarito but wanted guarantees connected to renewing that contract. I believe it was 10million for Cotto and Hatton, but Arum only offered 7million. Floyd also wanted 20 million for De La Hoya, and Arum repeatedly told him that the money not only wasn't there, but he had no interest in making that fight. So Floyd went off and did his own thing.

By the way:
      vs. Hatton -- Floyd's purse was 11 million
      vs. Cotto (albeit later) -- Floyd's purse was 32Million
      vs. De La Hoya -- Floyd's purse was 25million

So seems he got 28 million more than what he was begging Arum for. Now which side of that would you rather be on?

And Margarito didn't look so big and tough when he was getting steamrolled by Mosley, whom Floyd fought next. Mosley beat the breaks off that dude. Not saying a Floyd/Margarito fight would go the same way. Of course not. But you don't run from a bully to fight the guy who annihilated the bully. That's just common sense. It's not like Mosley won a cheeky decision. He destroyed Margarito.
      You know Ployd phights to good...he beat the Manny... V
      Where is Spoon23 and his what Spain thought?

ADPO isn't around, no manny, no spoon or adpo2

Comment

Never beat a great in their prime.
        Waited out dangerous opponents or avoided them completely.

I can't think of even one old time legend who did it that way, can you?

Yeah?
        Marciano would ko him.
        Would he not?

How do we really know? Floyd ducked any and all credible threats.

And anyone who loses to Castillo and Maidana can't be that good....

You are commending Floyd for taking the path of least resistance?
        That's not a good thing...

Besides Marciano never lost to Maidana level guys.

Lmao at this dude.

What in their prime fighter did Marciano beat?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
          You know Ployd phights to good...he beat the Manny... V
          Where is Spoon23 and his what Spain thought?

ADPO isn't around, no manny, no spoon or adpo2
          hahaha. You reminded me of this gem:

Comment

hahaha. You reminded me of this gem:

LMAO.....remember a few years ago I was giving the PAC nation fits in slow motion?

That level of delusional thinking is shocking... Actually it's beyond words.

I may not do the anniversary of PAC knocking himself the **** out on purpose to secure the Floyd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Respectfully I disagree. Not that I would want the history section to turn into the 2010 NSB with this discussion. Mayweather had no interest in fighting the Pacman that destroyed Hatton and De La Hoya. It wasn't until Manny suffered a knockout to Marquez that he wanted the fight. Much the same way he accepted the Cotto fight, after he was stopped by Manny.

Now I do agree Mayweather had better skills than Marciano, especially on the defensive end and arguably is the best boxer of this era.
              There were many that thought Marciano could have lost to LaStarza in the first fight, the same way that most say Mayweather got a gift over Castillo. On the debate of resumes, Charles, Louis, Walcott and ol Archie stack up way higher than the 20 Mayweather beat but that may come down a debate of quality vs. quantity. I think it cannot not be debated reasonably by how much of a Mayweather fan you are or just because you are a Marciano fan.
              Respectfully, you can't disagree with a fact. Floyd DID agree to a 50/50 purse split back in 2009. He DID agree to pay a fine if he came in over the weight limit. He DID agree to walk out second and be introduced first.

And he wasn't the one who torpedoed the negotiations just because blood and urine testing was being required.

So it can't be said that Floyd had no interest in fighting a prime Pacquiao. That is patently false.

I don't like rehashing this topic in the History section either since it has been done to death on NSB. But if we're going to talk about it here then let's make sure to get the history right.

The first fight was our fault. We just should have said, 'F--- it,' and done the testing. It was 100% our fault.
              —FREDDIE ROACH, Pacquiao's trainer

https://www.si.com/boxing/2015/04/28...ao-negotations
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 10-24-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

None of that makes sense. He either ducked them or didn't?

Both bigger and stronger than anyone Floyd ever fought.
                You think that's a coincidence?
                He didn't have any reason to fight them really... They were tough unorthodox opponents and not prime ATG opponents. It would not have affected his legacy materially.

Comment

Agreed. That fight should have happened when both were closer to their prime, for sure!
                  Yup...bottom line!

Whether Pac decided not to fight then, or Floyd decided not to fight then...its interesting speculation and little else.

Comment

Marciano knocked out heavyweights and those names include greats such as Louis, Charles, Walcott and Moore. Regardless of where these fighters may have been in their respective careers, they were still great fighters. Keeping that in mind, Mayweather's best wins have been Oscar DLH, Pacquiao, Mosley and Cotto.

There is no doubt Marciano's best wins are better, made ever more superior by the fact that they were fought at heavyweight, the blue ribbon division if you will and all ended in knockout. Mayweather was content with edging past his opponents, in lackluster affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                      Marciano knocked out heavyweights and those names include greats such as Louis, Charles, Walcott and Moore. Regardless of where these fighters may have been in their respective careers, they were still great fighters. Keeping that in mind, Mayweather's best wins have been Oscar DLH, Pacquiao, Mosley and Cotto.

There is no doubt Marciano's best wins are better, made ever more superior by the fact that they were fought at heavyweight, the blue ribbon division if you will and all ended in knockout. Mayweather was content with edging past his opponents, in lackluster affairs.
                      Marciano's great opponents were mostly shot beyond belief though, and or fighting in a division that wasnt their best.. I give him good credit for Walcott, who was the HW champ and you can tell in their fight, still a very good boxer. But the rest were done. Even Walcott was coming to the end.

It was a poor era historically in the HW division, and he didnt hang around to fight the greats of the next era either, which hurts him in my book.

Comment

Working...
                      X