No announcement yet.

The Greatest By Category

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayID View Post
    Be salty all you want. I'm in no way shape or form a Mayweather fan. I appreciate his boxing skills but that's the extent of it. However, whether you like to admit it or not, you will struggle to find 5-8 other fighters with a resume as packed with future HOF'ers, champions and former champions as Mayweather Jr.

Yes, all of the fighters on his resume weren't "prime" fighters. But be realistic now.... Who in history has a resume facing more than 5 World class/elite boxers. Nevermind in their primes. There aren't many.

If you actually take the time to look into the fighters he supposedly "ducked", the very very vast majority of the so called "ducked" were not even valid opponent's at the time of calling out! Many were above his current weight class. You cannot fight everyone at the drop of a hat... And if you don't you are accused of "ducking" them. With the exception of Manny, whom I do agree that Mayweather ducked and dodged for a few years to some extent, also avoided margarito (cheat). He fought the rest when possible.

Even so, there isn't anyone on his resume who I see beating him.. even if they were in their primes.

Off course you don't.....

lol

Robinson could never have beaten Maxim (or the dozen other bums that beat him up)

Louis, walcot, charles and moore could never beat Marciano.
    Funny how those victim status loser are so highly thought of.
    And Marciano made them look like tomato cans.....

Roy Leonard lost to bums like tommy nunn and hector commanche. AND lets not forget when he was in his prime he lost to a fat old ballooned up lightweight....

Clay could never beat the likes of Homes or Berbick.
    Both to big and strong for clay. I mean Berbick turned him into a braindead vegetable!!! LOL!!!

As soon as Roid Jones got exposed "he was shot"
    BULL****!!!
    He has a glass chin and is over rated.
    Who'd he beat????

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Acero View Post

lol

Robinson could never have beaten Maxim (or the dozen other bums that beat him up)

Roy Leonard lost to bums like tommy nunn and hector commanche. AND lets not forget when he was in his prime he lost to a fat old ballooned up lightweight....

Both to big and strong for clay. I mean Berbick turned him into a braindead vegetable!!! LOL!!!

BULL****!!!
      Who'd he beat????

I mean.. do you have a point or are you just endlessly rambling?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        I hate this miniature window that comes up for me to write in and will not be enlarged. How do I cure it? Is there a way?

Okay, those little up and down tabs in the upper right. But I like to make the frame wider too. Wait, it worked. Anyway...

Let's get down to business.

There are few if any categories in boxing where one can easily choose a greatest. Offhand, I can think of only one--CHIN. I am willing to say George Chuvalo had the greatest chin ever in boxing, and leave it at that. Everything else is a discussion, really.

For stamina, I know Marciano was up there, but I cannot automatically concede first place to him, because there were so many others that could fight all day, especially in the lower weights.

For sheer speed of the traveling mitt, I believe Howard Davis was perhaps the fastest fighter I ever saw.

In the lefhook category, I would probably go with Robinson.

For the bob and weave, I would choose the early Tyson over Pacquiao, because Tyson could attack simultaneously with his movements. Early Pacquiao bobbed and weaved wonderfully, but had to suddenly stop to attack. Tyson was more fluid and continuous at his best.

Ring generalship must go to either Ali or Leonard, over Monzon and Mayweather and many others, because they faced a higher level of competition. Their ring generalship actually extended beyond the ring to the audience and judges. Only those two at the highest level seemed to not only out-think their opponents, but the entire world while they were doing it. Mayweather has demonstrated some of this mesmerizing ability as well, but he has never faced anything approaching a Hagler or a Liston while doing it. That is the difference.

Footwork I probably give to Jersey Joe. Nobody was that cute when he wanted to be. Old Joe might even win in the feinting category, as well, which would be something special to have two categorical crowns.

Ezzard Charles was all around good, but I cannot think of a categorical crown that he wins. No big deal. It does not reflect poorly on a fighter's greatness. There are only so many categories to go around, and theoretically every fighter but one is a loser in each category.

That is only a few of the categories.
        I concur about Howard Davis Jr. He was the fastest, but as far as career decisions, not the brightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
          I concur about Howard Davis Jr. He was the fastest, but as far as career decisions, not the brightest.
          Hello.

Why do you feel his 'career decisions' were poor choices? - You made me go look; he seems to have been the classic 'contender,' close several times but never a champion.

Throw out the last loss to Rosenblatt in the '96 (he was finished by then) and you have five loses and one draw, with only one name on that list, Joe Manley, (who wasn't a slouch,) not being considered 'great' at some level.

Loses and Draws:

Jim Watt UD WBC Title LW
          Edwin Rosario SD WBC Title LW
          Joe Manley UD
          Meldrick Taylor D
          Hector Camacho UD
          James McGirt KO 1 IBF Title SLW

He seems to have position himself correctly getting three shots at a title; he just didn't measure up as a champion. I don't see where he could have done it differently.
          Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 09-02-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

lol

BULL****!!!
            Who'd he beat????
            Roy Leonard? Tommy Nunn? Hector Commanche?

Comment

you will struggle to find 5-8 other fighters with a resume as packed with future HOF'ers, champions and former champions as Mayweather Jr.

Are you on drugs??

You think mayfluwers record is THAT good!!!

That's called modern match making.....

Let me ask you 2 questions ******

Do you think Mayfluer has a better record than Arguello??

Do you think Mayfelutre has a better record than commanche??
              (he beat leonard diran and a bunch of others)

Yes, all of the fighters on his resume weren't "prime" fighters. But be realistic now.... Who in history has a resume facing more than 5 World class/elite boxers. Nevermind in their primes. There aren't many.

If you actually take the time to look into the fighters he supposedly "ducked", the very very vast majority of the so called "ducked" were not even valid opponent's at the time of calling out! Many were above his current weight class. You cannot fight everyone at the drop of a hat... And if you don't you are accused of "ducking" them. With the exception of Manny, whom I do agree that Mayweather ducked and dodged for a few years to some extent, also avoided margarito (cheat). He fought the rest when possible.

Even so, there isn't anyone on his resume who I see beating him.. even if they were in their primes.

I was arguing with this piece of garbage called hawkins the other day about how old boxing records will be percieved in the future...

Your rambling nonsense proves my point....
              You punk kids only care about a glossy undefeated
              record that has plenty of "names"* on it.....

50 years from now cowards just like you will swear mayflower was "TBE" and how calzaghe and ottke were the sh'it.....

I mean after all bums like Clay and Robinson were gettin beat up. How good could they possibley be??
              RIGHT???

Marciano the true heavy GOAT.....
              RIGHT???
              I mean leathering louis, moore, charles and walcott is quite the feat...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                Roy Leonard? Tommy Nunn? Hector Commanche?
                What are you getting at Hawkers???

Comment

Are you on drugs??

You think mayfluwers record is THAT good!!!

That's called modern match making.....

Let me ask you 2 questions ******

Do you think Mayfluer has a better record than Arguello??
                  mayweather's 50-0 with 26 title fights > marciano's 49-0 with 7 title fights. mayweather is undefeated for 21 years, marciano 8 years. no one in his right mind would rank marciano above mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
                    mayweather's 50-0 with 26 title fights > marciano's 49-0 with 7 title fights. mayweather is undefeated for 21 years, marciano 8 years. no one in his right mind would rank marciano above mayweather.

Not to argue your main point as to who is better . . . but the 26-7 title fight argument you make is like a 'Fox News fact' true but misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                      Not to argue your main point as to who is better . . . but the 26-7 title fight argument you make is like a 'Fox News fact' true but misleading.
                      It's as I keep saying...
                      Give It 50 years and It will be a considered a "fact" that Mayfleur was "TBE"

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X