No announcement yet.

Jimmy Garcia vs Gabriel Ruelas circa 1995

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Garcia vs Gabriel Ruelas circa 1995

How many of you guys remember watching Garcia gamely fought back with no chance to win. He lost the fight and approx 13 days later died. Discuss!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.c343b23f2ce5

Super featherweight Jimmy Garcia, the Colombian boxer who suffered a brain injury in a championship fight two weeks ago, died early yesterday in Las Vegas. He was 22.

Garcia died at 1:43 a.m. PDT at University Medical Center when doctors declared him brain dead and turned off the life-support system that had sustained him since surgery following the May 6 fight. His doctors at first were optimistic about Garcia's prognosis, but he suffered a stroke a week ago, his kidneys stopped functioning Monday and he deteriorated quickly after lapsing into a coma.

His death was not unexpected by the doctors or by Gabriel Ruelas, the fighter whose fists ended up killing him. "I was just hoping for a miracle during the past few days," Ruelas said.

Marc Ratner, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, said doctors told him Garcia's kidney failure was due to the amount of medication needed to reduce swelling in Garcia's brain.

I remember that fight, poor kid. Ruelas was never the same. Both ruelas brothers fell off. Older brother wasn't the same after de La hoya took him out.

Comment

I believe that's the only fight I watched live at home where someone died. Or within a week on an HBO replay.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKIE420247 View Post
        I remember that fight, poor kid. Ruelas was never the same. Both ruelas brothers fell off. Older brother wasn't the same after de La hoya took him out.
        By the time gatti fought Gabriel Ruelas, he had lost that edge. They both fell off, but they had a good lil run.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I believe that's the only fight I watched live at home where someone died. Or within a week on an HBO replay.
          Jimmy Garcia was a Colombian Piñata. My buddy in Colombia told me that Colombians we’re happy he died, because he couldn’t fight for ****. Hearing that made me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Jimmy Garcia was a Colombian Piñata. My buddy in Colombia told me that Colombians we’re happy he died, because he couldn’t fight for ****. Hearing that made me sad.
            Dam man that's horrible, people nowadays don't value or respect life. Reminds me of that columbian soccer player that shot a wrong goal, he was dead shortly after that.

Comment

Dam man that's horrible, people nowadays don't value or respect life. Reminds me of that columbian soccer player that shot a wrong goal, he was dead shortly after that.
              Ah yes, Andres Escobar, I remember that as 1994 was the first World Cup I really tried to follow, which led to Major League Soccer in the US. Other names I remember being mentioned a lot around the same time were Roberto Baggio and Diego Maradona. Unbelievable that the shooter got such a light sentence and that the other guys involved got acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C...sequent_murder

There's also an ESPN 30 for 30 on Escobar.

Comment

Ah yes, Andres Escobar, I remember that as 1994 was the first World Cup I really tried to follow, which led to Major League Soccer in the US. Other names I remember being mentioned a lot around the same time were Roberto Baggio and Diego Maradona. Unbelievable that the shooter got such a light sentence and that the other guys involved got acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C...sequent_murder

There's also an ESPN 30 for 30 on Escobar.
                good looking out bro, gonna have to check out the 30 for 30. They make really good documentaries.

Comment

good looking out bro, gonna have to check out the 30 for 30. They make really good documentaries.
                  I read they do podcasts too, which I might check out, but I definitely want to get their DVD boxed set for sure, which covers their first 5 years.

And not a 30 for 30, but if you like wrestling, check out The Streak, which covers the long winning streak of Brandon High School in Florida. The filmmaker follows the team for a year to see if they can continue the streak.
                  Last edited by Anthony342; 06-24-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I read they do podcasts too, which I might check out, but I definitely want to get their DVD boxed set for sure, which covers their first 5 years.

And not a 30 for 30, but if you like wrestling, check out The Streak, which covers the long winning streak of Brandon High School in Florida. The filmmaker follows the team for a year to see if they can continue the streak.
                    U gave me some homework bro lol. They should have it on Netflix right?

Comment

Working...
                    X