Earnie Shavers estimated punching power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    This ^^^^^^^

You also have to take into account quality of opposition sometimes. Video footage doesnt lie if someone hits hard ,it should be obvious when you see someones reaction to a direct strike .

Shavers would have won more important fights had his punching power been as great as many claimed . Lets not forget he didnt K.O Holmes who he hit ALOT over many rounds and he fought a weaker Ali in showing signs of getting hit too much ,two good chins that suggest guys like Tyson hit harder .
    Well, for a CW fighting HWs his power was pretty good. Lots of fighters lose their power when moving up, especially those who relied on being heavy handed rather than just quick or explosive. That Shavers was still able to knock down strong chinned guys like Lyle and Holmes has to count strongly in his favour.

It'd be like Kudryashov moving up and knocking down Povetkin or Parker.

Comment

Actually it reached 2500!
      Just watched the clip. It was 1850. Whatever he hits, he destroys. Still not enough to take out Balboa haha. Speaking of which, Bill Burr made a great point at the O&A virus comedy show in Philadelphia years ago how sad it is that the city had a statue of Rocky Balboa, a fictional boxer, and they don't even have one of Joe Frazier, a real life Philly ATG. There should be some kind of movement or fund raiser for one of Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Just watched the clip. It was 1850. Whatever he hits, he destroys. Still not enough to take out Balboa haha. Speaking of which, Bill Burr made a great point at the O&A virus comedy show in Philadelphia years ago how sad it is that the city had a statue of Rocky Balboa, a fictional boxer, and they don't even have one of Joe Frazier, a real life Philly ATG. There should be some kind of movement or fund raiser for one of Frazier.
        The clip isnt the whole movie ,he goes over 2000 , he did take out Rocky ,broke his ribs and sent him to the hospital during the shoot scenes for a few weeks Rocky was TKO"d .

Frazier got his statue in 2015 !
        Last edited by juggernaut666; 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
          Well, for a CW fighting HWs his power was pretty good. Lots of fighters lose their power when moving up, especially those who relied on being heavy handed rather than just quick or explosive. That Shavers was still able to knock down strong chinned guys like Lyle and Holmes has to count strongly in his favour.

It'd be like Kudryashov moving up and knocking down Povetkin or Parker.
          Well again measurability of what ? You cant hype a guy to strongest puncher of all time based on knocking down Holmes once who has been before and Lyle whos been knocked out before ,thats what everyone mysteriously does on here . Who did he actually knock out to suggest he hits harder than dozens of guys to have laced them up ,205 or not ?

IF you hit someone enough times with power shots they are bound to go down moreso than not ,looking at Shavers resume Ron Lyle seems to be the only true mesuring stick comparable to modern HW 's he fought other than Cooney (who hit harder ) ,calculating the rest ? I just dont see how he gets this status ,regardless what any fighter says .

If a person is 205 and hes fighting far weaker opposition who outweighs him shouldn't he still get the knock outs when landing flush if he was remotely the hardest puncher of all time ?
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 08-21-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I think it would be silly to suggest Shavers is the hardest puncher ever when we've got heavy hitters 40 pounds bigger than him. We acknowledge punching power varies in weight classes because of this but since HW is open weight, people don't want to accept it and cling on to old legends and stories, as is usual in boxing.

Besides, I agree that visually he doesn't even pass the eye test. Hard puncher sure but hardest ever? Looking at footage of others I've seen far more devastating hitters.

Comment

The clip isnt the whole movie ,he goes over 2000 , he did take out Rocky ,broke his ribs and sent him to the hospital during the shoot scenes for a few weeks Rocky was TKO"d .

Frazier got his statue in 2015 !
              Dude, it's 1850 when it's actually measured.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Dude, it's 1850 when it's actually measured.
                Dude i watched that movie over 100 times...theres more than one clip where hes hitting that as the movie goes on...are you telling me im seeing things? lol

He registers a 2150 psi i'll bet you all your points? lol
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 08-21-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Ah, I see where the confusion lies. I just meant in the first measurement. But you were still wrong about Freddy vs. Jason. They fought in the dream world, THEN the real world and I even posted clips proving it.

Oh yeah and I can't mention a Rocky movie without saying MONTAAAAAAAGE haha.

Comment

Well again measurability of what ? You cant hype a guy to strongest puncher of all time based on knocking down Holmes once who has been before and Lyle whos been knocked out before ,thats what everyone mysteriously does on here . Who did he actually knock out to suggest he hits harder than dozens of guys to have laced them up ,205 or not ?

IF you hit someone enough times with power shots they are bound to go down moreso than not ,looking at Shavers resume Ron Lyle seems to be the only true mesuring stick comparable to modern HW 's he fought other than Cooney (who hit harder ) ,calculating the rest ? I just dont see how he gets this status ,regardless what any fighter says .

If a person is 205 and hes fighting far weaker opposition who outweighs him shouldn't he still get the knock outs when landing flush if he was remotely the hardest puncher of all time ?
                    He's not the strongest puncher of all time, but he's well in the mix where cruiserweights are concerned. Who'd you pick to punch harder at that weight?

Comment

Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
                      He's not the strongest puncher of all time, but he's well in the mix where cruiserweights are concerned. Who'd you pick to punch harder at that weight?
                      Until you get your head straight about what a Cruiserweight actually is, nobody is going to take you seriously and you're just going to come across as an ignorant troll.

Comment

Working...
                      X