No announcement yet.

Charles "Sonny" Liston vs. Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
    Not true, the shoulder incident was confirmed by a doctor at a hopital after the fight.
    Honestly, that's news to me. Every special I've seen on the fight or article I've read about the fight more or less denied anything was wrong with Sonny's shoulder.

Comment

Not true, the shoulder incident was confirmed by a doctor at a hopital after the fight.
      And it was only one doctor who confirmed the injury, as there were about six (maybe more) who examined Liston after the fight and all confirmed the injury was legit.

Comment

Well, there you have it. I'm outvoted.

Out of curiosity...not that I don't believe you guys; but is there anywhere I can read these accounts?

Comment

Honestly, that's news to me. Every special I've seen on the fight or article I've read about the fight more or less denied anything was wrong with Sonny's shoulder.
          I always thought Sonny faked the shoulder thing as well but I've read articles and seen parts on documentries that all show that exrays were taken and showed he had detatched his shoulder. I'll try and find a few bits of evidence if you want.

Comment

I always thought Sonny faked the shoulder thing as well but I've read articles and seen parts on documentries that all show that exrays were taken and showed he had detatched his shoulder. I'll try and find a few bits of evidence if you want.
            That'd be great. Not that I don't believe you; but..well, you know.

Comment

That'd be great. Not that I don't believe you; but..well, you know.
              It's alright, I wouldn't believe me either!

http://www.answers.com/topic/sonny-liston

- just go down to the bit about Liston vs Clay 1

I'll try to find some more.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
                Well, there you have it. I'm outvoted.

Out of curiosity...not that I don't believe you guys; but is there anywhere I can read these accounts?
                Well for one quick source, there is this little bit from an AP report dated Feb 26th, 1964;

"Doctor's Findings; DOCTORS CONFIRM INJURY TO LISTON

Feb. 26 -- A team of eight physicians said in a statement issued early this morning that the defeated heavyweight champion, Sonny Liston, had suffered an arm injury that would have prevented him from defending himself in his title fight against Cassius Clay."

Comment

It's alright, I wouldn't believe me either!

http://www.answers.com/topic/sonny-liston

- just go down to the bit about Liston vs Clay 1

I'll try to find some more.
                  Huh, well I'll be damned. You learn something new every day.

Thanks for the link. It's truthfully going to take a while to adjust my mind to this bit of information; but facts are facts. I just can't believe I thought it was B.S. all this time. That'll teach me....falty reporting, you gotta love it.

Thank you again.

Comment

It's a pleasure to educate man.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                      Well for one quick source, there is this little bit from an AP report dated Feb 26th, 1964;

"Doctor's Findings; DOCTORS CONFIRM INJURY TO LISTON

Feb. 26 -- A team of eight physicians said in a statement issued early this morning that the defeated heavyweight champion, Sonny Liston, had suffered an arm injury that would have prevented him from defending himself in his title fight against Cassius Clay."
                      Thank you too, Yogi. Gees, I feel like a complete boob. Do you have any idea how long I've believed there was no injury?!

I now must go lash myself or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X