Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has your perception of DAZN changed since it was launched?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    Because the WBSS is not a regular promotion and doesn't have a stable. It's not in direct competition with other promotions so its relationship with them is not so adversarial. With a big enough budget it could steadily build its prestige until it reached a point where marquee fighters like Lomachenko and Mikey would demand to participate, because it's the most effective way to secure a legacy and it would be paying no less than their regular promoters anyway
    And again, what makes you think Arum will let Lomachenko enter the tournament and fight on another network for three or four fights, and same with Mikey Garcia? Their advisors/promoters aren't going to allow that to happen. Top Rank's two biggest stars are Crawford and Lomachenko, and you think they just let Lomachenko fight on DAZN for four fights? No f'n way.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      And again, what makes you think Arum will let Lomachenko enter the tournament and fight on another network for three or four fights, and same with Mikey Garcia? Their advisors/promoters aren't going to allow that to happen. Top Rank's two biggest stars are Crawford and Lomachenko, and you think they just let Lomachenko fight on DAZN for four fights? No f'n way.
      Well, strictly speaking an advisor should let the fighter do what's in their best interest, which the WBSS would be if it had the lion's share of the DAZN boxing budget. It's reported that currently the WBSS winners get $8m in total. If you doubled that to $16m that would be a cool $3.2m to the promoter assuming their cut is about 20%, without even having to do any work or assume any risk. Plus if their fighter wins the tournament then his value skyrockets for the future (look at Usyk as an example)

Comment

Well, strictly speaking an advisor should let the fighter do what's in their best interest, which the WBSS would be if it had the lion's share of the DAZN boxing budget. It's reported that currently the WBSS winners get $8m in total. If you doubled that to $16m that would be a cool $3.2m to the promoter assuming their cut is about 20%, without even having to do any work or assume any risk. Plus if their fighter wins the tournament then his value skyrockets for the future (look at Usyk as an example)
        Did Usyk's value skyrocket one bit in the states? Honestly, very little if any.

Advisor isn't going to let one of his marquee names go to another network for four fights. Advisor needs that name and others like him to get network deals for his product...Likewise for promoters.

Comment

Advisor isn't going to let one of his marquee names go to another network for four fights. Advisor needs that name and others like him to get network deals for his product...Likewise for promoters.
          Well that particular tournament was almost entirely based in Europe, and his profile did indeed skyrocket here and he gets way more attention in the global boxing media now than he did before it. If a tournament contained more American fighters and took place mostly on American soil, then winning it would absolutely be a big boost in the States

My point about the advisor was just a jab at the conflict of interests in Haymon's dual role of advisor/PBC CEO. The WBSS is a maximum of three fights, for what it's worth. Don't know why you keep saying four. Usyk was occupied from September 2017 until July 2018. PBC fighters routinely stay on the shelf for longer than that

Comment

Well that particular tournament was almost entirely based in Europe, and his profile did indeed skyrocket here and he gets way more attention in the global boxing media now than he did before it. If a tournament contained more American fighters and took place mostly on American soil, then winning it would absolutely be a big boost in the States

My point about the advisor was just a jab at the conflict of interests in Haymon's dual role of advisor/PBC CEO. The WBSS is a maximum of three fights, for what it's worth. Don't know why you keep saying four. Usyk was occupied from September 2017 until July 2018. PBC fighters routinely stay on the shelf for longer than that
            Three or four fights same difference.

That's the difference right there. Lomachenko and Garcia are strictly US fighters. That's where they fight and that's where their value is.

Not going to be a big boost if it takes place on DAZN, a new streaming service. Maybe after Canelo fights a time or two. Not now though.

Either way, those big names aren't fighting in no tournaments and definitely not outside of their network that they fight on.

Comment

Agree wirh that, particularly since WBSS is now aligned to DAZN at the moment- previously they weren’t committed to a potential rival. That changes he dynamics somewhat

Comment

i was all in and signed up when dazn announced they were carrying wbss...so far im liking it./..esp with the mma stuff too...now with golden boy and hopefully loeffler in the mix 2019 is a breakout year for them

Comment

Originally posted by omh View Post
                  Originally I was disappointed with it after trying it on my ps4 and smart tv there was bad video quality and frame rate issues with a wired connection but when I tried viewing it on a roku ultra the difference was night and day it was cable quality stream same with hbogo
                  So that stopping in the middle of time-slipping and jumping to the live stream only happens on the PS4? I hate that crap!

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                    So that stopping in the middle of time-slipping and jumping to the live stream only happens on the PS4? I hate that crap!
                    Yeah it was smooth on the roku tried it wired and wireless no problems the same with hbogo app

Comment

Their U.S. fights haven't been meaningful. I guess it's cool that there is now a way to watch UK fights legally, but previously I found streams for UK fights like Joshua-Povetkin and Usyk-Bellew and I will continue doing that as long as their US offerings are Vargas-Dulorme, Andrade-African, and Miller-Dinu.

Comment

Working...
                      X