Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22:28 of David Kotey vs Danny Lopez 1 found!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22:28 of David Kotey vs Danny Lopez 1 found!

Few days ago I posted a link to a 2:29 long color film highlights of the Kotey vs Lopez 1 fight which took place in Ghana in 1976. This was rather significant for myself, and others here too, as many fans have looked for a film of the fight without luck. So today, employing some search methods I have been using for awhile now in looking for fights difficult to find, or better versions of fight rips, which I apparently hadn't done while looking for this fight, has paid off in the linked to video. The method is the following: I google fights in languages that don't use English characters. Primarily I search for fights in Russian and Japanese. I go to Google and search "English to Russian" Google brings up it's own translator, I paste or type in: David Kotey vs Danny Lopez 1, and I take the following
    Дэвид Котей против Дэнни Лопеса 1 and then do a Google video search. Yes, deep indeed. Anyhow, the video leaves a LOT to be desired, but for now, I am happy to have just found 22ish mins of it. Last, if using headphones, take caution, there are moments with audio disasters ahead!!
    https://youtu.be/2c5hJ_vGq2Q

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
    Few days ago I posted a link to a 2:29 long color film highlights of the Kotey vs Lopez 1 fight which took place in Ghana in 1976. This was rather significant for myself, and others here too, as many fans have looked for a film of the fight without luck. So today, employing some search methods I have been using for awhile now in looking for fights difficult to find, or better versions of fight rips, which I apparently hadn't done while looking for this fight, has paid off in the linked to video. The method is the following: I google fights in languages that don't use English characters. Primarily I search for fights in Russian and Japanese. I go to Google and search "English to Russian" Google brings up it's own translator, I paste or type in: David Kotey vs Danny Lopez 1, and I take the following
    Дэвид Котей против Дэнни Лопеса 1 and then do a Google video search. Yes, deep indeed. Anyhow, the video leaves a LOT to be desired, but for now, I am happy to have just found 22ish mins of it. Last, if using headphones, take caution, there are moments with audio disasters ahead!!
    You're like the CIA when it comes to hunting down fights.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      You're like the CIA when it comes to hunting down fights.
      Oh you, hush now!

Comment

- -Ace!!!

Them Ruskies and Poles rock when it comes to fight Vid.

The stamina and poise Red showed against a prime awkward slugger was impressive. Poor Kotey to be commended for eating KO blows for 15 rds, but he was toast as a contender after this fight.

Fight never attracted attention because Kotey a little known African in a tiny div and Red only known in Cali, but no matter, they staged a classic.

Now...Danny/David rematch?

Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -Ace!!!

Them Ruskies and Poles rock when it comes to fight Vid.

The stamina and poise Red showed against a prime awkward slugger was impressive. Poor Kotey to be commended for eating KO blows for 15 rds, but he was toast as a contender after this fight.

Fight never attracted attention because Kotey a little known African in a tiny div and Red only known in Cali, but no matter, they staged a classic.

Now...Danny/David rematch?

Yum!

Lopez vs Kotey II

Part 1 of 2
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaX2O-s45mw

Part 2 of 2
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hduP1GCxJc

Comment

Mario.
            Thank you so much for the link to this fight. Awesome !
            Speaking of Little Red, was it considered a big upset at the time when Salvador Sanchez beat him ? It seems to me it was, as at the time Sanchez was little known. I remember watching the fight live and Salvador was just a machine. I was always impressed with how he never appeared tired. I sure do miss those featherweight days of the late 70's into the early 80's.

Comment

- -Recall Sal as a stiff test for Red as every fighter was.

He boxed far better Vs Kotey than he did the latter part of his reign. Those were nationally broadcast and always Red looking like an oaf until suddenly his straight right flattened the poor aspirant, a spectacular finish.

Sal chin too good for Danny's rt, but Danny still put Sal through his paces.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
                Thanks for doing this stuff. You sound like a real hard core fan like me, but with better idea's on how to find some forgotten treasures. Thanks again its people like you that make this place worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Recall Sal as a stiff test for Red as every fighter was.

He boxed far better Vs Kotey than he did the latter part of his reign. Those were nationally broadcast and always Red looking like an oaf until suddenly his straight right flattened the poor aspirant, a spectacular finish.

Sal chin too good for Danny's rt, but Danny still put Sal through his paces.
                  I read Lopez's (get it? Red=read...yeah dork) "Best I ever faced" recently and Danny comes off as such a humble guy, and he seems to have been that same guy in his fighting days. He has much praise for Sal and his abilities, kinda even selling himself a bit short in saying that he never thought he landed a clean effective punch in their two fights, which isn't exactly the case, I think it was more that he couldn't hit Sal with more than one punch at a time. In the 27 rounds he fought with Sal, I don't think there were any that can be said to be clearly a Lopez round, but like they say real champions do, in the 27ish rounds he fought with Sal, some quite one sided, I don't think there's one round to be found where Lopez wasn't still trying to win the fight.
                  If you haven't seen it, there's a 10 min segment from an hbo real sports ep i think it is*, where Merchant is interviewing Danny and Bobby Chacon. At the time Bobby's health was in such a poor state that the word health practically becomes an oxymoron. Danny seems to be a great guy, with never a bad word for anyone and whatever function it is they were both attending, it's obvious Danny genuinely cares for Chacon and respects him and his dignity. It doesn't look to be scripted. Merchant seems to be trying to get a specific answer from Lopez when saying/asking what is basically the following, "yeah, chacon beat you in the ring, but is it safe to say in the end you are the winner?" I can only imagine he means the totally different directions their lives went and were in at the point in time of the interviews. Danny, who knows what Merchant is getting at (although to his credit, Merchant may be purposely leading Danny into looking like the good guy he truly is. Either that or Merchant is just a straight up super c o c k) doesn't bite at all saying "No, Bobby kicked my butt" Just a nice feel good moment in a sport that doesn't usually provide them

* https://youtu.be/T4fPs9FGb44
                  Last edited by Mario040481; 11-12-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LITTLE JOE View Post
                    Mario.
                    Thank you so much for the link to this fight. Awesome !
                    Speaking of Little Red, was it considered a big upset at the time when Salvador Sanchez beat him ? It seems to me it was, as at the time Sanchez was little known. I remember watching the fight live and Salvador was just a machine. I was always impressed with how he never appeared tired. I sure do miss those featherweight days of the late 70's into the early 80's.
                    It was considered an upset. Sanchez had only defeated one top 10 ranked opponent (Rozelle) and was largely unknown. He’d previously been dropped twice when he fought Juan Escobar in LA. Lopez often did get hit often and beaten up a little bit but generally always came back to take control.

Comment

Working...
                    X