No announcement yet.

Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson 2 in the works for UFC Atlantic City

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson 2 in the works for UFC Atlantic City

Two of the best and most well-known fighters in the UFC’s featherweight division will meet again.

A rematch between Frankie Edgar and Cub Swanson is in the works for UFC Atlantic City on April 21 in New Jersey, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed Tuesday. The two fought in 2014, with Edgar winning by fifth-round submission. ESPN was the first to report the bout Tuesday.

Edgar (22-6-1) is coming off a knockout loss to Brian Ortega very recently — March 3 at UFC 222 in Las Vegas. It was the first time Edgar, the former UFC lightweight champion, had ever been stopped in his decorated career. Edgar, 36, was on a two-fight winning streak coming in and was supposed to fight Max Holloway for the featherweight title on that card before Holloway pulled out due to injury.

Swanson (25-8), too, is coming off a loss to Ortega. “Killer Cub” fell to Ortega by second-round submission at UFC Fresno in December. After that, Swanson’s contract with the UFC expired, but this marks his return and a new deal. Swanson, 34, has earned three straight Fight of the Night bonuses and is known for his exciting style. He was on a four-fight winning streak heading into the Ortega bout.

UFC Atlantic City will be headlined by a lightweight bout lightweight contenders Kevin Lee and Edson Barboza. Edgar vs. Swanson 2 is currently planned as the co-main event. Also on the card, bantamweight up-and-comers Aljamain Sterling and Brett Johns will meet.

Please end in a double KO, PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
      Please end in a double KO, PLEASE!
      The perfect outcome in this one...LOL

Comment

Eh. Whatever.

And randomly I don't like Edgar getting KO'd & fighting 7 or w/e weeks later. The UFC is getting sketchy with this sorta sh^t. Figured that Bisping quick turnaround was a bad enough look to correct it, but nope.

After you get stopped I think you should be out for 6mos to a year. I think the commissions should enforce that, but I'd expect a company like the UFC to value Edgar enough to not throw him from a KO L fight to another fight so quick just cuz he's got more upside & value for you than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Eh. Whatever.

And randomly I don't like Edgar getting KO'd & fighting 7 or w/e weeks later. The UFC is getting sketchy with this sorta sh^t. Figured that Bisping quick turnaround was a bad enough look to correct it, but nope.

After you get stopped I think you should be out for 6mos to a year. I think the commissions should enforce that, but I'd expect a company like the UFC to value Edgar enough to not throw him from a KO L fight to another fight so quick just cuz he's got more upside & value for you than that.
          The UFC in the Zuffa era gave mandatory medical suspensions for fighters who got stopped or KO'd.

I can't remember when or why they stopped that.

Comment

Working...
          X