• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john l View Post
    Yup there brain dead already.
    meanwhile as a white hating genius you cant spell they're

Comment

i highly highly doubt that university boxing with headguards on is going to do you any long term damage. Pro boxers are sparring every day and the difference is they are getting hit by professionals who, no disrespect to uni boxers, are hitting about 10x harder. Most of the top boxers in the game havent shown any signs of slurring speech or losing there mental sharpness, think of someone like david haye for example, hes pretty sharp mentally and articulate and hes been fighting every day since he was a kid, taking shots off of cruiserweights and heavyweights. Freak accidents can occur but thats the same with any sport, i know of a person who died playing cricket by clashing into someones knee when they both tried to catch the ball.

Comment

If you are worried about it then don't box. Some people are more easily brain damaged than others but it's impossible to know who they are. Some boxers like Roy Jones have been KOed often and been in many fights and still seems as sharp as ever. Others like Rios and Toney sound punchy as hell. The risk of brain damage is always there. You could have many fights and suffer no brain damage or a single punch could kill you. The only way to make sure you don't get brain damage is to not fight in competition. You can increase your skills with practice on the bags and light sparring with head gear and big gloves. As soon as you enter the ring against an opponent who wants to beat you and if possible knock you out your brain is at risk.

Comment

"there are plenty of people here with brain damage who never got in a fight so you will be OK"........................................FACT!

Nailed that on the brain! It usually takes years after retirement to begin to show the signs of Pugilistic Parkinson's.
          College boxing is much like the old club boxing that is very keen on anyone getting hurt by taking anything remotely close to abuse.

You'll know what you can handle with in a few sessions.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
            meanwhile as a white hating genius you cant spell they're
            I am white lmao and not here to try out for a writer for boxingscene.And well since your obv a Trump fan I would not talk about intelligence.Fuken dumb azz

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              If you are worried about it then don't box. Some people are more easily brain damaged than others but it's impossible to know who they are. Some boxers like Roy Jones have been KOed often and been in many fights and still seems as sharp as ever. Others like Rios and Toney sound punchy as hell. The risk of brain damage is always there. You could have many fights and suffer no brain damage or a single punch could kill you. The only way to make sure you don't get brain damage is to not fight in competition. You can increase your skills with practice on the bags and light sparring with head gear and big gloves. As soon as you enter the ring against an opponent who wants to beat you and if possible knock you out your brain is at risk.
              A lot of great points.But if he wants to learn for selfdefence then it A MUST to get in and AT LEAST spar.No way around it you can only learn so much on a bag.Trust me you will forget EVERTHING you learned in a fight without sparring/fightin experience.

Comment

Originally posted by oli19919 View Post
                Hi guys, new member here.

I've been doing boxing training for a few months and will probably start sparring properly from the summer (done body sparring and very light sparring so far).

I'm off to uni this autumn and would like to box for my uni. I would only be boxing for three years and will probably stop boxing after I graduate (as by then I would have learned the fundamentals and hopefully have a decent self-defence).

Basically, given the negative stigma and recent death of Scott Westgarth, I'm worried about the long-term consequences of boxing on the brain. As I am hoping to be a lawyer, I need my brain functioning as well as possible!

Do you think I should consider boxing at uni, even though it would only be for three years (spar once or twice a week), given the side effects on the brain? I would look to compete in a few bouts for my uni. I love boxing but want to stay mentally sharp!
                Well you should really talk with mathed_ and boliodogs as well as maxi_

These users demonstrate brain damage on a daily basis with the vile trash they spew. They need help.

Comment

If you are not training to be an amateur or professional fighter, just for hobby and self defence you dont have to spar hard. Now, sparring IS a big part of it, but no reason to go with 90% or so and just risk injuries and getting hurt.

If you get a concussion, remember to take long enough break, first from proper training, and bit longer for sparring itself. But as you are doing it for a hobby, for three years, I doubt you will have to be afraid, but still, its good to know the risks, which these sports (like some others as well) definitely have.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                    A lot of great points.But if he wants to learn for selfdefence then it A MUST to get in and AT LEAST spar.No way around it you can only learn so much on a bag.Trust me you will forget EVERTHING you learned in a fight without sparring/fightin experience.
                    True, people who only know the technique but dont spart might get too anxious in a real fight since they dont have the experience of those situations and the technique suddenly disappears as the adrenaline kicks in. That being said, one doesn't have to spar 100% hard. I definitely think sparring is needed, but it doesnt have to be to the point that both are trying to hurt each other there, sparring is just part of the training (a vital part), but the point is for both to learn, not to hurt each other which would just be stupid.

So yeah, I would advice sparring but as long as neither is trying to give damage to one other

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbed View Post
                      True, people who only know the technique but dont spart might get too anxious in a real fight since they dont have the experience of those situations and the technique suddenly disappears as the adrenaline kicks in. That being said, one doesn't have to spar 100% hard. I definitely think sparring is needed, but it doesnt have to be to the point that both are trying to hurt each other there, sparring is just part of the training (a vital part), but the point is for both to learn, not to hurt each other which would just be stupid.

So yeah, I would advice sparring but as long as neither is trying to give damage to one other
                      Agree sparring a lot of times your just workin on things.But others you are going full speed(at least top level ams and pros)its just when you hurt a guy you don't go for kill you stop and if he can continue and was not KOed or close then you just stop for a second and go on.

Comment

Working...
                      X