Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr....who was better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
    one other thing i say about roy to those who say these two guys are in two different stratospheres...

unlike ray, jones career was without all the retiring and unretiring...i have a lot more respect for that
    Not Leonard's fault he had a detached retina.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      Not Leonard's fault he had a detached retina.
      he retired immediately after hagler remember that?
      then he retired after lalonde remember that?
      then he retired after norris only to unretire and fight camacho

Comment

Leonard.

Jones' resume is thin and is one of the most overrated fighters of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
          Does anybody even know what P4P means on here? Damn
          Does anybody even know how to read a thread title on here? P4P wasnt mentioned. Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDKING View Post
            Does anybody even know how to read a thread title on here? P4P wasnt mentioned. Damn.
            No, because I read the original post like common sense dictates people do before they respond to the question written in that post...

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
            Prime Roy vs prime Ray.....P4P who was the better fighter??
            So yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
              No, because I read the original post like common sense dictates people do before they respond to the question in the post...

So yeah...
              RJJ still better than SRL regardless.

Comment

Ray Leonard's resume is incredible. The only knock on him is his inactivity in the mid-80s and waiting out Hagler.

This is Ray Leonard's record from November '79 to September '81:

November 79 - Wilfred Benitez
                March 80 - Dave Green
                June 80 - Roberto Duran
                November 80 - Roberto Duran
                March 81 - Larry Bonds
                June 81 - Ayub Kalule
                September 81 - Thomas Hearns

7 fights in 22 months. 4 with hall of fame opposition. Nobody from this generation can touch that.

Roy Jones was a great fighter with some fine wins. The half of fame opposition he fought, he fought them before they had grey hairs. A rarity nowadays. H2H will always be regarded as a special fighter. But his resume just doesn't compare to Ray's.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  Ray Leonard's resume is incredible. The only knock on him is his inactivity in the mid-80s and waiting out Hagler.

This is Ray Leonard's record from November '79 to September '81:

November 79 - Wilfred Benitez
                  March 80 - Dave Green
                  June 80 - Roberto Duran
                  November 80 - Roberto Duran
                  March 81 - Larry Bonds
                  June 81 - Ayub Kalule
                  September 81 - Thomas Hearns

7 fights in 22 months. 4 with hall of fame opposition. Nobody from this generation can touch that.

Roy Jones was a great fighter with some fine wins. The half of fame opposition he fought, he fought them before they had grey hairs. A rarity nowadays. H2H will always be regarded as a special fighter. But his resume just doesn't compare to Ray's.

nobody is doubting that resume-wise, but p4p it isn't as cut-dry as some would want to believe...

Comment

RJJ gets my vote, both had huge impactful careers but Roy was much more dominant in his wins. The strong drop off in his performance later in his career gives many a point to argue for Ray Leonard but RJJ just won in more dominant fashion most of the time.

One of the most defining fights of SRL's career was a close decision over Hagler that many thought he ran, slapped punches, and didn't do enough to get a win over a forward moving, pressing the action, Marvin. (Myself included)

Most of Roy's wins were blowouts or KO's, .... it's just that after a certain point, his losses were just as explosive.

Comment

• Originally posted by club fighter View Post
                      RJJ gets my vote, both had huge impactful careers but Roy was much more dominant in his wins. The strong drop off in his performance later in his career gives many a point to argue for Ray Leonard but RJJ just won in more dominant fashion most of the time.

One of the most defining fights of SRL's career was a close decision over Hagler that many thought he ran, slapped punches, and didn't do enough to get a win over a forward moving, pressing the action, Marvin. (Myself included)

Most of Roy's wins were blowouts or KO's, .... it's just that after a certain point, his losses were just as explosive.
                      Who considers Hagler vs Leonard to be one of Rays career defining fights? It was at the end of his career, after his retina injury

Comment

Working...
                      X