Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 01-27-2018, 12:00 PM #11
Contender

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
WonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,727.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
You can chronicle your workouts at home, not here. Excel or Word should suffice. This is a forum for discussion, not record keeping of your old man workouts. Furthermore, spamming is against the rules.
It's training for an upcoming fight. I chronicle for feedback. If that is indeed against the rules, then, of course, I would stop. If it's considered spamming by you just because you have a hole in our soul and you decide to fill it by being a terrible person to those around you, then I really don't care about your opinion.
WonderMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-27-2018, 12:04 PM #12
Contender

WonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
That's actually not a bad feature to add on the forums, a way where you can chronicle your training.
I've seen it in other places and when I searched the forume for training logs I did find a few, so I put mine up here. As I mentioned to that nice fella in the previous post, if it's not allowed here I'd certainly stop. I do notice the views increase so people seem to be checking into it. Maybe just out of curiosity, who knows?

I'll suggest a sub-forum be added for training logs and see if they think there is sufficient interest. Otherwise maybe they below right where mine is? Or not at all? Whatever the answer is, I'll certainly abide.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:08 PM #13
Contender

I asked the question here: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=771066
Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 PM #14
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
PRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,000,034,347.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
That's actually not a bad feature to add on the forums, a way where you can chronicle your training.
Yes! Training blogs would be cool! (If this site had a dedicated section for training blogs, it would be ideal!)..
PRINCEKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 PM #15
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
Yes! Training blogs would be cool! (If this site had a dedicated section for training blogs, it would be ideal!)..
I also like the idea. It would allow for people to interact more intimately with a person than the general answer/question style. If enough people participated it would be great but if only a few did, then it would not work.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 PM #16
Contender

Today I worked on the differences between turning your hip on a lead hand hook versus rotating the trunk. Many say rotating the trunk on the hook delivers more power, and that may be true, but it feels very awkward in trying to launch. I personally don't care if it feels awkward as I know it will become more natural as I work on it, but the world seems divided on which it prefers. On Monday I meet with my dedicated coach and will buy into what he wants (as long as it isn't nuts) but I'm trying to get a feel for things now.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 PM #17
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
PRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,000,034,347.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I also like the idea. It would allow for people to interact more intimately with a person than the general answer/question style. If enough people participated it would be great but if only a few did, then it would not work.

It has been done before on other boxing sites, plus in various other sports! I have seen training blog sections throughout the years! Good for moral support, and unearths the characters and individuals participating in the sport! (Always good to document things as a athlete as well! Carl Froch logged all of his training meticulous for many years in his black book!)...

4 minutes 55 second MARK.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
PRINCEKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM #18
Contender

I want to do a good job on this amateur Fight Night Iíve decided to do. I think that everybody else that has signed up has participated before, and currently, Iím the oldest one. My age doesnít bother me one bit but I do have longtime habits I need to get rid of. Because of all that Iíve decided to work with a coach once a week to get ready.

I met with the coach to go over what my goals are and how he sees this whole thing going. I know that in reality to get ready for the fight I will be doing what he tells me to do but I do appreciate him wanting to know my personal thoughts on the whole thing.

Eleven weeks is how long we will be doing our sessions. Iím going to film tonight so that I can reinforce what we go over on my own. The coach uses mitts quite a bit though I donít know if we will get to them tonight. He wants to start at the absolute basics and move on from there. Perfect, thatís what I want as well.

If itís not too embarrassing Iíll post some video.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 PM #19
Contender

First Night With Boxing Coach

Last night I met with my boxing coach for our first session.* Though he has already watched me in in some fitness classes and some side work I put in, he ran me through a few things to evaluate.

I felt his evaluation was 100% accurate.* Of the things I need to work on (almost everything) the largest one is moving.* I'm a plodder and that just won't work.* I'm wanting to box, not fight, and to be able to do that I need to move.* We worked on that a bit and he gave me a drill to do to start with.* I'm to start out with the often used squares and do basic movements.* Side to side, frontwards and back, etc.* As I'm doing with my time with the coach I'm focusing on the very basics and will work on them until they cannot be undone.* When the action of the ring starts, I need to be able to execute.* If I don't have the basics down to automatic responses, nothing else will work.* Boxing, not fighting.

To get an idea of how to use the squares, watch the below from fightTIPS, It will be what I'll watch when I'm away from my coach.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

He also adjusted my hook.* I was a "thumbs in" guy and he had me adjust it to "thumbs up".* Additionally, we focused on my elbow being higher than I was used to.

The last portion of the session was to get going on some basic defensive movements.* Duck, slip, and lean back.* We ran through each of them a few times and then we worked on him calling them out and I executing*using the same punch sequence.* Like in my footwork I found myself thinking too much and then getting locked up.* I know it's part of the process but I got a bit frustrated.* I'd have to step back, regather, then get back in there.* I'll assume we will stick with the same punch sequence until I'm a bit more automatic on what I do.* Who knows, that's up to the coach, right?

The above isn't all we did, but it's the highlights.* I asked him to get me a copy of the notes from what we worked on so I could reinforce them on my own, in a slow and controlled environment.* I want to do it slow them speed it up.* I find that's the way I improve and develop the muscle/mind memory.* I demand that I show improvement each week to let the coach know I'm worth investing in.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 01-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM #20
Contender

Trying To Manage All Aspects Of Training

I'm trying to move towards falling into a routine for my training but I have a few seemingly conflicting goals.

I need to:

Get leaner
Get my legs and lungs ready for Fight Night, which is 11 weeks away
Continue to work on imbalances, which is my entire posterior chain
Be rested at certain times like Friday Night Sparring
Not try to do too much and become injured
My current schedule is:
Monday - 5:30 am boxing fitness Mpower; 6:30 pm Mitts with Monty Mpower
Tuesday - 11:30 am boxing fitness @ PFit (near work); shadowbox, footwork, skip rope, etc.
Wednesday - 5:30 am boxing fitness @ MPower; Imbalance correction session, shadowbox, footwork, skip rope, etc. @ PFit
Thursday - Active recovery. Shadow boxing, movement drills, etc. Nothing strenuous
Friday - Friday Night Sparring
Saturday - 9:00 am Boxing Fitness @ MPower
Sunday - Lay around the house and avoid things

I've not been to a real sparring session to prep for Friday Night Fights, so I don't know what to expect. Two Fridays ago was an "Open Ring" type thing, and we got some great work, but not contact sparring. Therefore it's an unknown so, for now, I want to make sure I arrive fresh and rested.

The conflicts that I have revolve around my conditioning to get through three rounds of an amateur fight. If one gets too tired, then one gets sloppy, and it turns into a survival fight instead of boxing. I don't want my conditioning to be a hindrance, beyond the reality of engaging in that type of activity. I know I also need to work on my resistance training to increase lean body mass and to correct those imbalances, but I'm running out of time. I only have so much "recovery" in me, though that is increasing as I get more fit.

Some ideas I have are to only do three boxing fitness classes per week to include Saturday. I use those classes to increase general conditioning and to get my arms and body used to taking lots swings. However, would I be better served if I did a few miles of roadwork twice a week to get the legs in shape? At this point which is better for me?

A bunch of volume means I need to ensure I fuel for the activity and recover adequately. Getting that wrong doesn't help the leaner body efforts. Focusing on the leaner body too much hurts the energy level and most certainly the recovery. Not enough recovery hurts the efforts of having my conditioning at a certain level by Fight Night. Getting some of the above wrong could lead to injury.

A revised week would look something like this:
Monday - 5:30 am boxing fitness Mpower; 6:30 pm Mitts with Monty Mpower
Tuesday - A few miles of roadwork/stairs in the morning; shadowbox, footwork, and resistance training in the afternoon @ PFit
Wednesday - 5:30 am boxing fitness @ MPower; Game time call on how my body is holding up and either do nothing in the afternoon or work on mechanics
Thursday - A few miles of roadwork/stairs in the morning; shadowbox, footwork, and resistance training in the afternoon @ PFit
Friday - Friday Night Sparring
Saturday - 9:00 am Boxing Fitness @ MPower
Sunday - Lay around the house and avoid things

Thoughts? Comments?

Share This With Friends

Tags
training, wm's

User Tag List