Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Harry Greb rare footage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The street fight was supposedly broken up by a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Here is a film of Harry Greb featuring some stuff I have never seen, I have seen the spar with Philadelphia Jack O'Brien but never seen the footage of him signing to fight Mickey Walker and it's great to see, Walker looks so ****y, he looks as if he thinks he's already beaten Greb (as we know he didn't). There is also an interview with a bloke I had a few arguments with and was a poster here for a while but he doesn't seem to be on here anymore. I knew he was writing a book on Harry, his name here and on another forum was Klompton, some of you may know him and I am sure you will enjoy his interview as well.
      Harry Greb to me is one of the great mysteries of boxing to me, I would have loved to see him fight, especially the fight against Walker, legend has it that Mickey Walker saw Harry celebrating on the night just after he had lost to Harry and legend has it they then had a streetfight... no idea if this is true but no doubt Stephen Compton (Klompton) would have the answer. Our arguments were usually over Darcy and Australian boxers which he didn't seem to have any time for except Darcy who he grudgingly admired (at least he said so). If this film has already been featured in a thread here somewhere I apologize but I am sure nobody will mind. Klompton says in the interview that Jeff Smith was a phenomenal fighter and Darcy annihilated him but Stephen reckoned Jeff was better than Les, hence we had some big bunfights but I liked the guy and still do.

Evetryone is an author now. The interview was palin boring.

Comment

Thanks Bat... I still haven't bought that book as I did promise to and glad I am reminded of it now, can't order it in yet, have to wait until the Aussie dollar rises again, our dollar is so low now that the book would cost a fortune and I still have to buy the book on Jimmy Clabby that was written by Jimmy Clabby the third who offered me first copy in an email a few years back, he was interested in all my articles I had done on Les Darcy who of course beat his grandfather twice. I am yet to meet Mr Clabby in person but may do if he ever returns to Australia... I would write a book myself on Darcy but there have been many books written about the champion already and could only rehash the same material but Mr Clabby does have some extra information on Darcy that came from his grandad's writings....... I must get that book Bat.
        Everyone is an author these days. I found the interview boring. Literally anyone can write a boxing book. If someone writes a book explaining quadratic reciprocity, you can be assured the author is an actual expert, because of the difficulty of the subject. But with boxing, as with so many subjects, it does not take an expert to blab away blithely.

Was Bert Sugar an expert? Not quite. But he wrote a lot of books full of misinformation and an interpretation of history one might as well call opinion. He is responsible for spreading the falsehood that the P4P designation was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson. With Robinson the designation stuck, but had been used plenty of times referring to others who came before Robinson.

I know nothing about this gentleman's writing syle, but in general it takes one or two pages to know if an author is worth my time. Reading books by average know-nothings is usually a bore. His story of how he came to write his book is not at all compelling but tedious. Norman Mailer or Saul Bellow would have made the answer to that question interesting. The fact that he could not I take as a harbinger of his writing. He does not sound like someone I want to settle down with. One could certainly plow through his tome and glean a few unknown facts, but I will let someone else do that work and tell me about it later.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Everyone is an author these days. I found the interview boring. Literally anyone can write a boxing book. If someone writes a book explaining quadratic reciprocity, you can be assured the author is an actual expert, because of the difficulty of the subject. But with boxing, as with so many subjects, it does not take an expert to blab away blithely.

Was Bert Sugar an expert? Not quite. But he wrote a lot of books full of misinformation and an interpretation of history one might as well call opinion. He is responsible for spreading the falsehood that the P4P designation was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson. With Robinson the designation stuck, but had been used plenty of times referring to others who came before Robinson.

I know nothing about this gentleman's writing syle, but in general it takes one or two pages to know if an author is worth my time. Reading books by average know-nothings is usually a bore. His story of how he came to write his book is not at all compelling but tedious. Norman Mailer or Saul Bellow would have made the answer to that question interesting. The fact that he could not I take as a harbinger of his writing. He does not sound like someone I want to settle down with. One could certainly plow through his tome and glean a few unknown facts, but I will let someone else do that work and tell me about it later.
          He does know a lot about Greb but I had quite a few run ins with him, he got so sour at times whenever someone contradicted him, he had strong opinions that Australian boxing back in Darcy's day was corrupt, but from all the hundreds of bouts in Sydney I can only find half a dozen controversial decisions, three involving Darcy (two were with Jeff Smith, the second fight they were so angry with Smith that they refused to pay him). I Klompton's mind Darcy was very good but he reckoned he was overrated and made some claims he couldn't back up but when it came to Greb he did know what he was talking about. Yeah as far as writing a book it could be entertaining or as boring as a Mayweather fight, I hope it is a good read for his sake. Klompy as I used to call him did have a lot of diehard supporters so I guess he is a pretty decent guy, he was just wrong about us Aussies who he had plenty of fights with on another forum, you can't diss a great Aussie fighter and win us over easily.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Evetryone is an author now. The interview was palin boring.
            As for Bert Sugar, I see him as a guy who recycles many myths and his top 100 I found ridiculous, it showed him up as a guy who didn't do as much research he claimed to have done

Comment

He does know a lot about Greb but I had quite a few run ins with him, he got so sour at times whenever someone contradicted him, he had strong opinions that Australian boxing back in Darcy's day was corrupt, but from all the hundreds of bouts in Sydney I can only find half a dozen controversial decisions, three involving Darcy (two were with Jeff Smith, the second fight they were so angry with Smith that they refused to pay him). I Klompton's mind Darcy was very good but he reckoned he was overrated and made some claims he couldn't back up but when it came to Greb he did know what he was talking about. Yeah as far as writing a book it could be entertaining or as boring as a Mayweather fight, I hope it is a good read for his sake. Klompy as I used to call him did have a lot of diehard supporters so I guess he is a pretty decent guy, he was just wrong about us Aussies who he had plenty of fights with on another forum, you can't diss a great Aussie fighter and win us over easily.
              It's funny, because every time I see your name here, I can't help thinking of that EPIC feud between you and Klompton some years ago! One of the greatest threads ever; filled with an unbelievable amount of great historic information. But eventually the name-calling of course got so out of hand, that the entire thread was deleated (if I remember correctly?)... which was a crying shame!

By the way... Darcy was elected to the "BoxRec Forum Hall of Fame" back in 2008 (if you haven't seen my post about that).

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                It's funny, because every time I see your name here, I can't help thinking of that EPIC feud between you and Klompton some years ago! One of the greatest threads ever; filled with an unbelievable amount of great historic information. But eventually the name-calling of course got so out of hand, that the entire thread was deleated (if I remember correctly?)... which was a crying shame!

By the way... Darcy was elected to the "BoxRec Forum Hall of Fame" back in 2008 (if you haven't seen my post about that).
                Hmmm... It must have been before Tbear and I became mods. At least I do not remember the thread at all.

Can you remember any details from the thread such as threadstarter or title? I'd like to read it!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  Hmmm... It must have been before Tbear and I became mods. At least I do not remember the thread at all.

Can you remember any details from the thread such as threadstarter or title? I'd like to read it!
                  It was on that other site, we're not supposed to mention!

Comment

Thanks for the plug, between Klompton and i we sure did do lots and lots of research. I don't remember if the thread was mine or his and don't remember the thread being deleted but I do remember a thread on the "other" forum where we did a similar thing but he got so out of control he was banned forever from that forum.. LOL. If the thread was deleted is it possible we could get it back because I remember putting up a massive amount of info and links and he did plenty too. As I said Klompy would get a bit vicious in our debates about how a fight between Les Darcy and Mike Gibbons would have turned out, he called Darcy a cheat and a bad guy, making him the first person in history to make such claims, Darcy is revered and loved for his happy nature and kindness and honesty so not sure why Klompy went on like that, after that he had about 6 Australian boxing fans like Sallywinder wanting Klompy's head on a spike.

Comment

It was on that other site, we're not supposed to mention!
                      oh oh, you mentioned "another site" lol. I haven't been on there since Klompy got banned, I have a feeling Sallywinder may have written to the mods, Sallywinder was incensed and called Klompy a liar and either Klompy did make some lies or he just got things wrong I don't know, but time heals everything and I have nothing against the man at all, in fact I did get some enjoyment out of those arguments..... the USA vs Australia, clash of titans.

Comment

Working...
                      X