No announcement yet.

Breaking into the streaming market

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking into the streaming market

I don't know, was just randomly thinking.

Has anybody ever approached a company like Netflix or Hulu and tried to approach them on streaming fights? Epix tried something like this, streaming from their website for people who couldn't watch on T.V

Honestly, I don't know the logistics about it, I didn't get my degree from Devry.

But, if it was somehow possible:

1. These streaming based company's subscriptions are pretty cheap compared to having to buy cable and then a premium network on top of that.

2. Their subscriber base is pretty big and it's growing. Netflix had 44 million subs at the end of 2013 and 10 million+ of which are overseas. Their budget must be growing too because they're cranking original series out their ass, some of them pretty decent.

3. They have great accessibility. You could be out anywhere with internet and just stream it from your laptop or tablet...or whatever you can stream netflix from.

4. Also a good place to build interest in the sport. I mean, i've seen a couple of sport docs on there and they could put up popular past fights to help build people's knowledge/interest. I mean, we can already do that thanks to Simbros, but not everybody can do that.
    It'd be cool if they could put recent fights of fighters about to fight on Netflix to help build interest.... which would be problematic though since I'm sure there'd be problems air footage from a different network or something

Not saying they should go H.A.M and sign huge deals with fighters for exclusive deals off the bat...but maybe try and get broadcasting deals on fights that wouldn't be shown in the States normally or nobody else wanted to pick up.

Tyson/Chisora II got picked up by AWE, nobody else seemed interested.

Also fights stateside that wouldn't be picked up on T.V. I heard Stevens/N'Dam might not be televised since Duva didn't win... and it's being held Nov 30th... that's like a Tuesday or something.

I don't know... just shooting shit because I"m watching the office and thinking about Netflix.

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
    I don't know, was just randomly thinking.

Has anybody ever approached a company like Netflix or Hulu and tried to approach them on streaming fights? Epix tried something like this, streaming from their website for people who couldn't watch on T.V

Honestly, I don't know the logistics about it, I didn't get my degree from Devry.

But, if it was somehow possible:

1. These streaming based company's subscriptions are pretty cheap compared to having to buy cable and then a premium network on top of that.

2. Their subscriber base is pretty big and it's growing. Netflix had 44 million subs at the end of 2013 and 10 million+ of which are overseas. Their budget must be growing too because they're cranking original series out their ass, some of them pretty decent.

3. They have great accessibility. You could be out anywhere with internet and just stream it from your laptop or tablet...or whatever you can stream netflix from.

4. Also a good place to build interest in the sport. I mean, i've seen a couple of sport docs on there and they could put up popular past fights to help build people's knowledge/interest. I mean, we can already do that thanks to Simbros, but not everybody can do that.
    It'd be cool if they could put recent fights of fighters about to fight on Netflix to help build interest.... which would be problematic though since I'm sure there'd be problems air footage from a different network or something

Not saying they should go H.A.M and sign huge deals with fighters for exclusive deals off the bat...but maybe try and get broadcasting deals on fights that wouldn't be shown in the States normally or nobody else wanted to pick up.

Tyson/Chisora II got picked up by AWE, nobody else seemed interested.

Also fights stateside that wouldn't be picked up on T.V. I heard Stevens/N'Dam might not be televised since Duva didn't win... and it's being held Nov 30th... that's like a Tuesday or something.

I don't know... just shooting shit because I"m watching the office and thinking about Netflix.
    Eh? I thought Stevens/NDam was gonna be on NBCSports? Or whatever the hell the network is.

Comment

Lot harder then you thin, You need big money behind it.

Look at Eminem slaughter house, they had a PPV event rap battle that would of been successful but they didnt have the resource to allow that much bandwidth to stream the show properly.

netflix and hulu etc are not live, you can do a ustream ppv kotd does that and could work.

thing is people streaming it own the rights to redistribution, where as a ppv fights have many different right holders.

So you may hold USA rights to redistrubute but you dont hold mexico, and the person who holds mexico right dont hold argentenia rights.

gets messy fast.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        Eh? I thought Stevens/NDam was gonna be on NBCSports? Or whatever the hell the network is.
        It was presumed...nothing written in stone yet...but Duva lost the purse bid and it's going down September 30th now. Last I heard, Duva looking for other people to fill the show

Another negative point I just remembered was not all netflix subs can stream the fights well...if there was one. I got decent internet connection... but with this net neutrality issue and the ISPs supposedly slowing down Netflix for people... that would pose a problem for a fight primarily online being streamed

Comment

Originally posted by Daylyt View Post
          Lot harder then you thin, You need big money behind it.

Look at Eminem slaughter house, they had a PPV event rap battle that would of been successful but they didnt have the resource to allow that much bandwidth to stream the show properly.

netflix and hulu etc are not live, you can do a ustream ppv kotd does that and could work.

thing is people streaming it own the rights to redistribution, where as a ppv fights have many different right holders.

So you may hold USA rights to redistrubute but you dont hold mexico, and the person who holds mexico right dont hold argentenia rights.

gets messy fast.
          Just a thought... these guys are steadily growing bigger and bigger by the year and though it could possibly happen down the road.

Showing prior fights is hard enough since i'm sure ownership of that content is spread out everywhere compared to that WWE access pass where they owned all of the content

Comment

It was presumed...nothing written in stone yet...but Duva lost the purse bid and it's going down September 30th now. Last I heard, Duva looking for other people to fill the show

Another negative point I just remembered was not all netflix subs can stream the fights well...if there was one. I got decent internet connection... but with this net neutrality issue and the ISPs supposedly slowing down Netflix for people... that would pose a problem for a fight primarily online being streamed
            NDam's people would be dumb as hell not to have this fight televised or in the US...

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              NDam's people would be dumb as hell not to have this fight televised or in the US...
              It's in the U.S...but it's on a Tuesday. N'Dam's promoter and manager has held fights in Cali on tuesdays and Wednesdays before... but just kind of odd IMO.

Santa Monica I last heard

Comment

It's in the U.S...but it's on a Tuesday. N'Dam's promoter and manager has held fights in Cali on tuesdays and Wednesdays before... but just kind of odd IMO.

Santa Monica I last heard
                Why wouldnt they want it televised?

Sorry, I know that's not the topic at hand but I really have no clue where you're trying to get at and I really like this fight. Lol

Comment

Just a thought... these guys are steadily growing bigger and bigger by the year and though it could possibly happen down the road.

Showing prior fights is hard enough since i'm sure ownership of that content is spread out everywhere compared to that WWE access pass where they owned all of the content
                  like netflix can only stream in US UK and top tier countries that its and what we get to see in the US the UK people cant see it. and some countries are just stright blocked from accessing netflix it all boils down to copyright and how long does netflix and the agreement they have with certain studios etc and how long that angreement is for. I know you seen sometime says available till XX/XX that cause their rights are expiring that day.

it takes huge investment talking half a billion and no one in boxing has the much to dump into a project liek this that will lose money at first and alot. Look at wwe they almost lost over 50% of their profits trying something like this and like you said they own all their content, imagine now where you have to pay royalties to a bunch of other people a project liek this can bankrupt people.

I read an article here that spoke on this and this is where im pulling some of my information from (memory) but it said this was haymon ultimate goal, so we have to wait and see.
                  Last edited by Daylyt; 07-17-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Boxing is such a fkin mess that you can't do shít with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X