No announcement yet.

I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    Like I said a few pages back : I still get excited about the sport. I felt like I was on speed when Marquez KO'd Diaz, it was a high that took 24 hours to go away.

I still love the sport. I just don't think this next era is going to be able to compare to the era of from about 1990-2000.

Indeed it did. You could find 5-6 threats in any division you wanted.
    Oh I got that. I'm just saying that sometimes the newness wears off which takes an edge off of that early newfound excitement. But as I also said, previous generations felt the same way.

Kind of like hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
      Oh I got that. I'm just saying that sometimes the newness wears off which takes an edge off of that early newfound excitement. But as I also said, previous generations felt the same way.

Kind of like hoping for the best and expecting the worst.
      Yeah, I hear that.

I guess all I can really do is ease off it and wait for someone to surprise me.

If I don't have anybody new to follow in the next year or two, I guess I'll have my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        Anybody else feel this way?

First off, this isn't one of those "boxing is dead" threads. So if you came here looking for that, you can click "back" right about.....now.

Alright, onto the thread.

I'm simply not excited about any of these new guys who are supposed to be the next generation of good boxers. Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

None of them grab me, they all seem to be a bunch of very rusty, very easy to figure out kids who don't have any love for the sport. I think half of them will end up getting destroyed by pretty much any top 10 fighter in their division right now.

Boxing seemed so much better when I started watching it in '95. We had all kinds of talent, everywhere. From '95-'05 we had guys like Jones, Hopkins, Toney, Mayweather, Barrera, Morales, Pacquiao, Marquez, Lewis, Holyfield, De La Hoya, Whitaker, Trinidad, Lopez, etc, etc, etc....

These guys dominated everybody in sight.

I look at this new crop of guys who are supposed to be their replacements in the future......Guys like Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero, Juan Manuel Lopez, Juan Diaz, etc.... And I feel.....nothing.

They're alright kids, and I'll watch them fight no doubt, but I don't connect with any of them, the way I did so many guys throughout the 90's.

I can't see myself ever cheering for one of them the way I cheered that night I lept out of my recliner when Hopkins knocked out Trinidad, or the way I screamed at the Television in support of Barrera the night he fought Morales the first time, or the way I've turned down sex for a Roy Jones or Pernell whitaker fight.

I just can't ever see myself connecting with any of these kids.

I know they're young yet, and I know that all legends are made the same way.

But I just don't connect to any of these kids.

Does anybody else get what I'm trying to say here?
        Pot. Kettle. Black.

Get off that false high horse man.

Comment

Sorry, I must've missed the part where this was a "my thoughts on...." thread.

And judging by the amount of replies and conversation held within I'd say there were some solid points discussed on both sides of the debate.

Unlike your bogus 9/11 conspiracies.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
            I agree, but I think Tim Bradley, Victor Ortiz, Juan Manuel Lopez, and maybe even Abner Mares have great potential.
            Dont be so sad today. With the exception of Mares, they let you down.

Comment

Kinda funny how I created this thread in 2009 and still feel the same way now that I did then.

What a bunch of disappointing ****s.

Comment

Working...
              X