No announcement yet.

Miscondeptions About Derek Chauvin Charges Explained

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscondeptions About Derek Chauvin Charges Explained

Some of you are having a hard time understanding the details regarding the charges. I thought I would help you out.

Misconception #1. Dropping the 3rd Degree Murder Charge changes the amount of time that Derek Chauvin is facing.

FALSE

Derek Chauvin was facing up to 40 years for murder before the 3rd degree murder charge was dropped, and he is STILL facing up to 40 years (for the 2nd degree murder charge). NOTHING has changed with regards to the amount of time that he is facing.

The dude in the other thread is misleading people by saying "Now, the most he can get is 15 years for unintentional murder." That is FALSE.

Sentencing guidelines fall within the 12.5 years to 15 years. That does NOT mean he doesn't face 40 years. A judge can go above that if he departs from the guidelines. It was even stated clearly in the quotation that dude in the other thread attached to the OP.

Under the state's sentencing guidelines, a conviction on unintentional second-degree murder carries a presumptive sentence of 12.5 years. But a judge can order a sentence ranging up to 15 years without departing from the guidelines.
    Will a judge depart from the guidelines. My guess is probably not. But that does NOT mean that dropping the 3rd degree charge has reduced the amount of time that Chauvin is facing. IT DOES NOT.

Misconception #2: Intent has to be proven for a murder conviction.

FALSE

The second degree murder charge does not rely on proving intent. You can figure this out just by looking at the charge:

Second Degree Murder – Unintentional – While Committing a Felony

What has to be proven for this charge to stick is that a felony was committed at the time. What felony? A felony offense "other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting.”

So what felony will they try to prove Derek Chauvin engaged in?

They will argue that he committed FELONY Third-Degree ASSAULT.

609.223 ASSAULT IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Substantial bodily harm. Whoever assaults another and inflicts substantial bodily harm may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

If it can be proven that Derek Chauvin assaulted George Floyd causing substantial bodily harm, and unintentionally cause his death, then Chauvin will be guilty of 2nd-degree murder.

Innocent of all charges, he should get an apology and a visit for dinner with POTUS Donald Trump at the white House.

Comment

Chauvin was framed !

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
        Innocent of all charges, he should get an apology and a visit for dinner with POTUS Donald Trump at the white House.
        Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
        Chauvin was framed !
        why should he be cleared of all charges??? please explain

Comment

Derek Chauvin is a hero.

Lol im just trolling

Comment

I forgot to mention that if he is found guilty of the manslaughter charge, I believe that would be served consecutively, not concurrently, but I'm not sure about that. I think it depends on the judge.

But that would mean a likely sentence if he is found guilty of murder and manslaughter would be about 16 years.

I'm hoping the judge departs from guidelines and gives him more. Maybe even throw the book at him for 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
              Derek Chauvin is a hero.

Lol im just trolling
              Why isn't he a hero. He did his job the way he's supposed to according the their department. Had he not done what he did, Floyd would've died with all those drugs in him anyways. That's one less criminal off of the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by HrNY View Post
                Why isn't he a hero. He did his job the way he's supposed to according the their department. Had he not done what he did, Floyd would've died with all those drugs in him anyways. That's one less criminal off of the streets.
                Chauvin is not employed as an executioner.

And George Floyd paid his debt to society.

I suppose you believe Mike Tyson should be killed?

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                  Chauvin is not employed as an executioner.

And George Floyd paid his debt to society.

I suppose you believe Mike Tyson should be killed?
                  He paid his debt to society yet he was on illegal drugs and using forged banknotes

Clearly a man who had changed his ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
                    He paid his debt to society yet he was on illegal drugs and using forged banknotes

Clearly a man who had changed his ways.
                    That's why we have courts. We don't know if he was using forged banknotes yet or not.

Using illegal drugs is not punishable by death on the streets, is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X