No announcement yet.

I think its save to say GGG being top 3-5 P4P was premature

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
    and he'd get knocked down again. do you not think there may have been a reason he wasnt fighting aggressive?
    What was the reason for GGG waiting and not throwing for long stretches in rounds and not throwing in close quarters? Can't fight well going back?

He was suppose to run him over ...remember?

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
      Floyd didn't look great against Maidana in the first fight between the two. Doesn't hurt his legacy any, or his p4p#1 status at the time.

Keep trying to detract, doe
      Maidana wasn't one of the best fighters Floyd had fought. And Floyd has beaten greater fighters than Maidana. Numerous times. Maidana, is arguably better than anyone Golovkin has fought, including Jacobs. Jacobs is probably the best fighter Golovkin has fought. And he looked like absolute Doo Doo. Golovkin isn't anywhere near the top of the p4p list. You can't use Floyd to make your argument unless you ignore some huge facts.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        Stevenson? Who has he fought? Inoue? Rigo?

I can make a case for Ward, Thurman, Gonzalez, and Loma, but the rest haven't been put to the test. Who is Crawford beating? Rigo fights once a year if that and isn't in a big hurry to fight a dangerous opponent. Kovalev should have closed the show against Ward but he stalled. Canelo is 15 pounds heavier than his opponents and they aren't elite caliber victories either.
        So who is your top 5....is GGG in it?

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          What was the reason for GGG waiting and not throwing for long stretches in rounds and not throwing in close quarters? Can't fight well going back?

He was suppose to run him over ...remember?
          i toold you all before the fight it wasnt going to be a walk in the park so iwasnt shocked. i thought it was a good performance, close but clear win.

Comment

Danny did a helluva job switch hitting, rolling shots, and boxing. Did well when he pushed GGG back

GGG isn't shot so no excuses

He fought like he always does, he hasn't been in any wars so he is a fresh 35.
            I wouldn't say he's shot, but he's clearly past his prime. He used to get to punching positions quicker...he's always been flat footed, but last few fights he's looked like a plodder. It isn't about wars...it's about the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
              Maidana wasn't one of the best fighters Floyd had fought. And Floyd has beaten greater fighters than Maidana. Numerous times. Maidana, is arguably better than anyone Golovkin has fought, including Jacobs. Jacobs is probably the best fighter Golovkin has fought. And he looked like absolute Doo Doo. Golovkin isn't anywhere near the top of the p4p list. You can't use Floyd to make your argument unless you ignore some huge facts.
              Maidana is better than anyone GGG has fought because it fits your narrative. At best, he's like David Lemieux or Martin Murray level, despite the fact he moved up to 147 and wasn't even a top welterweight.

Either way, the whole point was that one fight doesn't detract away from a fighter's status. Especially one in which the fighter won.

People here be excited just to detract from GGG any way in which they can. He's the best middleweight, and Jacobs was a good fighter/opponent.

No matter all the hate you guys spew, he'll still be considered a top p4p fighter. Have fun being salty doe

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
                Floyd didn't look great against Maidana in the first fight between the two. Doesn't hurt his legacy any, or his p4p#1 status at the time.

Keep trying to detract, doe
                How can you even compare?

Floyd was 37 years old at that point and had a damn good resume against some real top level competition (and the odd mismatch) he was a proven elite fighter he also won the rematch with ease

This was Golovkins first legit high level opponent at 35 years old and realistically he lost his first step up in class it doesn't look good and a rematch wont be much different because he wont adjust
                Last edited by davef; 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

So who is your top 5....is GGG in it?
                  My top 5 is:

Thurman
                  Gonzalez
                  Loma
                  Pac
                  I would put Ward and GGG for a tie in 5th place.

Comment

Having Ward no.1 P4P is even more premature...

Comment

Originally posted by Hype Job View Post
                      Ward doesn't have the power to get GGG hesitant like Jacobs did. Ward would be easier for GGG than Jacobs was.
                      You know there's more to boxing than power, right? I can count the multitude of ways that Ward would dissect GGG. There's no shame in that since Ward is an actual pound for pound guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X