Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Martinez really was looking for a late TKO or stoppage (and using a lot of energy to do so) but Jr.'s chin said otherwise. I would not be surprised to see a much more conservative/efficient fight from Martinez for a UD win if a rematch ever occurs. The 12th round KD I don't really view as a flaw in Martinez, just a miscalculation in strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerwas1 View Post
      People need to stop call Chavez a cruiserweight.
      Yes he weighted above light heavyweight on fight night, but so does a lot of super middle weights, what he really is.

Martinez is a small middleweight, weighting a little bit more than some sww
      Chavez is a super middleweight
      to quote the g.o.a.t. (during the fight) in your avy/sig....."martinez better watch out because he is still in there with a Super Powerful CRUSERWEIGHT"

that statement still has me laughing to this day lol

Comment

He got careless maybe he was tired maybe after 12 rounds of domination he lost respect for his opponent either way it's no biggy I don't see it as a huge issue. Martinez would outbox Chavez anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          I am by no means a Chavez Jr fan, I was rooting for Martinez and I really enjoyed watching him school the spoiled brat for 11 rounds. The real champion got his belt back, he got the fame and recognition, and the hypejob is now beltless and disgraced. That's all I wanted, the fight restored some sanity in boxing.

With that being said, what happened in that final round is important. I've seen a lot of people dismiss that round or sweep it under the rug, either blinded by their love of Martinez or their hatred of Chavez Jr. Saying things like "one round does't matter" "Martinez just got careless" or "Chavez Jr couldn't finish him, neener-neener". People too happy about the result and not willing to look into the details of that result.

Martinez got hit by 37 power punches in a single round, that is a problem. If Chavez Jr was a great fighter I wouldn't hold it against Martinez but he's not. He's a decent fighter at best who wins his fights because he enjoys a 20 lb advantage over his opponents. He's not fast, he's not accurate and he's not very skilled. He threw basic punches from regular angles and most of them landed flush, that is a problem. Martinez got hurt and dropped but instead of clinching, moving away or moving his head, he just stood there like a deer in the headlights and threw some flicking jabs while Chavez was snapping his head from side to side with power shots. The usually inaccurate Chavez had a hard time missing him. That is a problem.

Forget who you like/dislike, forget which countries these guys are from, just block all that stuff out, watch the 12th round again and tell me if it's just a little mishap that needs to be forgotten :

Right again notice how this only happened in the 12th.

Notice how Chavez had problems hitting a smaller guy with his hands down for the first 11.

Notice how even when Chavez did land a bomb in the first 11 rounds Martinez walked straight through it.

Also notice how Martinez boxed beautifully for 11 rounds then when toe to toe in the 12th.

He won't do that again so it won't be a problem.

Thread closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
            Notice how sergio crawled towards the ring post and needed them ropes to stand up. That for me is being in a queer street.

Question is would he be able to avoid that kind of situation if ever there's a rematch? you're guess is as good as mine.
            Maybe yes, also shows his experience and focus during the situation.

Yes he went toe to toe which was stupid. and then still didn't clinch after the KD which again was stupid but shows hpw much heart Martinez has.

But the way in which he handled himself for the count was impressive, no Zab chicken dance for Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by HOLLYW00 View Post
              That's exactly how I felt.. He didn't clinch or nothing.. Fought back like a boss!
              ^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Comment

Originally posted by josenoway View Post
                I think Martinez really was looking for a late TKO or stoppage (and using a lot of energy to do so) but Jr.'s chin said otherwise. I would not be surprised to see a much more conservative/efficient fight from Martinez for a UD win if a rematch ever occurs. The 12th round KD I don't really view as a flaw in Martinez, just a miscalculation in strategy.
                Agreed. I think he was looking for the KO, the cherry on the cake, so to say, in a bout he completely dominated.

As a fan, I can't blame him for taking risks, that is what I like to see in a fighter.
                If I was his trainer though I would have disagreed. "What the hell were you thinking? You almost threw away the fight. Just because you wanted to stay true to your promises and knockout a cruiseweight!?

Comment

He was exhausted. He used up all his stamina in the 11th. That's the only reason he got caught and went down.

Comment

People are just upset that a suppose "bum" dropped their favorite fighter and was hurt bad. There's no excuses, Chavez Jr made weight, Maravilla made weight, and guess what? being "tired" is also part of the game.

Maravilla did school Chavez for 11 rounds, But Chavez did give him a beating on the 12th and almost stopped him. Live with it... and expect a rematch.

Comment

Not sure how much the knee injury affect his mobility after the first KD, but it sure as hell didn't help. Also after his 100+ punch output in the 11th round, he may have been a bit gassed as well.

Getting caught by a straight right and left hook over and over is not good, but may not have entirely do to technical limitations, more physical. I just can't Chavez Jr. getting him in that situation again.

Comment

Working...
                      X