No announcement yet.

Finding it awkward to get my legs (not hips) into the punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding it awkward to get my legs (not hips) into the punch

Like not many people know how to do this full stop. Most people think they are using their legs when they are only using their hips.

There is a drive from the leg esp on the cross, and I find it awkward to mesh the forward drive or push of the leg with the hip rotation.

I will get it myself just by practice, but any tips to help speed up the process will be greatly appreciated.

Its like the legs want to push me forward and that doesn't mesh well with the rotation of my hips it throws them off infact. My body mechanics are perfect if I only use my hips as soon as I introduce my legs everything feels a bit off.

I know you cant see me but take a guess and give me some tips?

Many thanks!

Bend your knees and push off the balls of your feet

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      ^^^^ This it also gives you more leverage when you bend your knees

Comment

Thankyou!

What happens when I push off the ball of my rear foot and it wants to push my body in a linear direction when really I want my hips to spin?

Its like im being pushed forward by the rear leg and its oscillating my hip rotation. Turning it into an oval instead of a perfect spin/circle

Comment

you either naturally have it or you dont.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            Thankyou!

What happens when I push off the ball of my rear foot and it wants to push my body in a linear direction when really I want my hips to spin?

Its like im being pushed forward by the rear leg and its oscillating my hip rotation. Turning it into an oval instead of a perfect spin/circle
            You have to work on your balance ..

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
              Thankyou!

Turn your rear foot with your hips

Comment

When throwing a hook turn your front foot with your hips....

Comment

When throwing a hook turn your front foot with your hips....
                  Thanks bro thats a great tip, I do do that already, its when the leg drive adds in its power then my form goes out the window

Comment

[QUOTE=AlexKid;16325071]Like not many people know how to do this full stop. Most people think they are using their legs when they are only using their hips.

There is a drive from the leg esp on the cross, and I find it awkward to mesh the forward drive or push of the leg with the hip rotation.

I will get it myself just by practice, but any tips to help speed up the process will be greatly appreciated.

Its like the legs want to push me forward and that doesn't mesh well with the rotation of my hips it throws them off infact. My body mechanics are perfect if I only use my hips as soon as I introduce my legs everything feels a bit off.

I know you cant see me but take a guess and give me some tips?

Many thanks![/QUOT

First let me ask, this is for boxing not mma right? Honestly it sounds moreso as if u r having a problem with your weight distribution not so much your hip/turning at the waist. Do this, stand in front of the mirror in your boxing stance, make sure u r not too squared up with your own reflection. Once u establish u r not so squared up, practice distributing your weight while in your boxing stance. Lunges are a great excercise that helps with weight distribution. If u are over 16yo, use weights when u lunge. Also sounds like you need to do some serious stretching from the waist down. Always stretch after you work legs, never before. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X