No announcement yet.

Pacquiao-Margarito bout shaping up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao-Margarito bout shaping up

MANILA, Philippines - A fight between Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito is shaping up even faster than the one between the Filipino pound-for-pound champion and his predecessor, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Bob Arum, the ageless Top Rank chief, thinks that with all the obstacles standing between Pacquiao, Mayweather and the greatest fight of all time, a fight with Margarito would make more sense.

“I think the chances are very, very good, very, very good,” said Arum during a recent press conference in Los Angeles, announcing Margarito’s May 8 bout with WBC light-middleweight champ Roberto Garcia.

It will be Margarito’s first fight since he lost to Shane Mosley in January last year when he was caught using, without his knowledge as he claims, illegal hand wraps, leading to the suspension of his fight license in the United States.

The Margarito-Garcia fight will take place in Aguacalientes, Mexico, and depending on how Margarito does, a fight with Pacquiao, sometime in September until November, in Nevada, Texas or Florida, looms.

“I think that would be an interesting fight based on how he (Margarito) does in this fight and obviously if he fought Manny Pacquiao it would be in the United States,” said Arum, who also defended Margarito against the touchy hand wraps issue.

“And, if that would be his (Margarito) next fight then we will apply for a license in the state that the fight is going to take place and it couldn’t be in California for the reason that Manny Pacquiao won’t fight in California because of state taxes,” said Arum.

Only three states in the US can host a Pacquiao fight because of friendlier taxes, and they’re Nevada, Florida and the new favorite, Texas, following its successful staging of the Pacquiao-Clottey at the massive Cowboys Stadium last March.

If Margarito beats Garcia, he can stake the 154-lb crown against Pacquiao, and give Pacquiao a shot at an eighth wonder, an eighth world title in eight different weight divisions, with or without a catch weight.

Margarito, who stunned the world when he lost to Mosley, likes the idea.

“I love to get that fight (with Pacquiao). I think everybody’s talking about that. It’s a great possibility. We’re both with Top Rank so the possibility is always there,” he said through Top Rank pointman, Ricardo Jimenez.

Arum said Margarito deserves the fight with Pacquiao.

“Because I think a great injustice had been done and I’m not going to give in to idle speculations that he had to know (about the illegal wraps). What do you mean he had to know? Have somebody wrap your hands and put somebody put something in the (tape) and see if you know before you say ‘he had to know,’” said Arum.

Marv Dumon of The Examiner enumerated the reasons why a Pacquiao-Margarito fight would likely happen, and on top of the board is the great possibility of Mosley, the 38-year-old WBA welterweight champion, beating Mayweather.

If that happens, then Mayweather, 40-0, would most likely exercise the rematch clause stipulated in his fight contract with Mosley. Dumon said it would actually take Mosley two straight wins over Mayweather before he lands on Pacquiao’s lap, and by that time he’d be forty.

Pacquiao said he’s rooting for Mosley.

A Mayweather victory over Mosley does not clear the path for a fight with Pacquiao, a fight that could earn the boxers $40 million each, because of the drug-testing issue and the court case which Pacquiao had filed against the Mayweathers

Pacquiao can get as much as $20 million against Margarito, and that won’t be too bad.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

yet another top rank cope out to dodge ost's..manny will fight only top rank fighters till the day he retires

Comment

this fight happens and manny is gonna lose a lot of respect. u heard it here first. id rather he go back down to 140 and fight some of the guys there. margs hasnt done anything, and i mean anything, of significance in any div. in the last 2 or 3 yrs.

Comment

well it looks good on paper but fact is pacquiao would kill him in less than 3 rounds (without his magic wraps)!! so i'm not really that interested.

i'd rather see cotto-margarito II!

Comment

As a said before, Arum is going to feed Manny Top Rank fighters for a while and keep his money in house.

Comment

m getting agitated at arum but if you look at at this way, pac can do 2 fights in 2010. Margarita is a poor but somewhat of a good choice. Poor because the SOB cheato is a disgrace, but great since itll be action packed. As time goes im havin mixed feelings about the OST. As much as Im disgusted at cheato, im gonna have to buy this fight.

Comment

manny will never fight another fighter who isnt with top rank again...cause everyone else will demand ost's..and he ducking them like the plague..lol

Comment

Well make the fight i will not be watching fck Marg he is a cheating scumbag.

Comment

damn you arum.

Comment

margarito vs pac would be a great fight, i would give marga more chances than some ppl do here.
                    pacs speed would trouble him a lot, but marga is a big welterweight, i wouldnt be surprised to see him KO pacquiao.

Comment

Working...
                    X