No announcement yet.

Holding is illegal in boxing, yes??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding is illegal in boxing, yes??

Holding your opponent for any reason, and in any shape, or form is against the rules, aye??

So why do we almost never see boxers get seriously warned, and point deducted, or even DQ'd for repeated holding?

Is it just tolerated moreso than other rule violations cause it allows fighters to remain in the fight longer when they are hurt and need to recover? And it is just seen as a "tactic" that is accepted?

Not according to every Andre ward fight ever

Comment

*Excessive* holding is against the rules but it's really a grey area as far as holding is concerned. Some holding is allowed by most referees, especially if the fighters break when the ref tells them to. Some refs don't let fighters hold, some refs let them hold so long as they're still doing work inside.

Comment

It's tricky because the clinch is sometimes necessary when you get too close too strike and want to avoid the headbut or getting hit by your opponent. What a fighter does from the clinch is another thing. You have guys who will hold on until the ref breaks (Wlad, BHop), guys who will bully and work in shots (Ward), and everything in-between.

Though I'm a Klitschko fan, I really hate that Wlad just holds without working. I do think he should have had pts deducted on many occasions. The guy is fully capable of fighting the best in the division without stalling the action like that.

Comment

every gym ive been to I was taught to clinch when out of position or to throw off an opponents attack... some clinch to win (klitz), some clinch when necessary (others). its also a good idea to hold when stunned once your opponent is close to u instead of swinging for the gates forwarding your chances of being Kod. Fighters who love to fight on the inside often have fights with more clinching, also when a ortho fights a southpaw ur naturally going to see more clinches due to stances.

want to see a clinch fest watch ali fraizer 2

Comment

Working...
          X