Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When doing Chin ups is using weights very effetcive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When doing Chin ups is using weights very effetcive?

I really want to maximize my chin up routine and I am wondering if incorporating ankle weights and other weights on my person is really that beneficial. Right now I start off with a 1st set of 12reps, 2nd set of 11reps, 3rd set/w 10lb ankle weights on of 10reps, 4th set with the 10lb ankle weights and 2.5lb plates in the pockets of 8 reps, and 5th with no weights of whatever I can do after that which is usually 8 reps.

Would it be better if I didn't use weights and increased the reps or keep trying to add on more weight as time goes on?

I use to use weight's for my bar work and for my dips. The reason for me being was that at a certain point of working out you know your body and when your muscles get a good workout or pump.

At a certain point I use to get winded before actually feeling the pump when I just upped my reps. So I used a belt that has a chain to which you attach a plate (most gyms have these). I use to put just enough weight so that I would feel the workout with 12-15 reps.

I would use more weight with my dips than my bar work though.

Comment

Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down

Comment

Originally posted by Hanoncs View Post
        Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down
        Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.

Comment

well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
          say
          10 wide grip
          10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
          10 staggered with your right
          if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
          10 let go with the other
          make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
          you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
          6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
          get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
          10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
            well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
            say
            10 wide grip
            10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
            10 staggered with your right
            if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
            10 let go with the other
            make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
            you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
            6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
            get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
            10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.
            Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about redistributing my weight to one side or another. Green K sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomkidd View Post
              Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.
              So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered.
              Last edited by Hanoncs; 09-09-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I don't know man, i'm 230 and i think thats heavy enough, i do 4 series of 8.

But if you're a smaller guy you could probably do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanoncs View Post
                  So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered.
                  Big muscles dont mean slow muscles.......spongey muscles are slow muscles. and your size dosnt matter its how you incorporate the weights into your work out that gives you certain results

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
                    I don't know man, i'm 230 and i think thats heavy enough, i do 4 series of 8.

But if you're a smaller guy you could probably do it.
                    Exactly like I said big guys don't need more weight

Comment

Working...
                    X