No announcement yet.

Kovalev was already gassing by the 5th round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sicko View Post
    I will check it out! But he did slow EARLIER than the last fight after using the "over-trained" excuse
    He absolutely did.

I'm surprised he made it to round 8 before he got buckled. When the cameras were in his corner after the second round, I said to myself, "This dude is already breathing hard?"

Comment

Jesus himself would have gassed by the low blows. FOH.

Comment

Sergey was tired quicker than the first fight, he was actually hurt bad in rd 8 but Ward finished him off with a low blow. Idk why ppl having such a hard time. He was landing on the Hublot sign under the belt. Ref shouldn't have stopped it. Shouldn't have even called it a knock down either.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          It's shocking to me that such a world class fighter has such poor conditioning.
          This right here^^ i think kovalev actually thought he was in better condition, cuz he came out even more active. He was doing well with his jab...i think he coulda slowed the pace down and just fought behind his jab. He pushed the pace needlessly.

Comment

How are Kovalev's nuts near his naval? Ward hit him with zero shots close to his junk, none. He hit his with 2 shots just below the belt (one in the 2nd and the last punch of the fight), but even those caught some of the belt and they were the type of shots that happen every fight. It was the body work that Kovalev couldn't handle so he needed an excuse, and his fans are all too happy to go along with it.

Kovalev was the Krusher, he was supposed to be this monster who had bragged he was going to end Ward's career. He folded because of body work. Every champion in the sport today would have defended himself rather than turtle like Kovalev. So you took a couple shots you felt were low, so what, be a man and defend yourself in the ring.

Lost a lot of respect for Kovalev, a champion overcomes a coupe borderline low blows. Just about every major fight has a few blows lower than the 2 that were questionable this fight, those champions don't fold like a tent. Just a total disgrace.
            Last edited by Johnny2x2x; 06-18-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
              Sergey was tired quicker than the first fight, he was actually hurt bad in rd 8 but Ward finished him off with a low blow. Idk why ppl having such a hard time. He was landing on the Hublot sign under the belt. Ref shouldn't have stopped it. Shouldn't have even called it a knock down either.
              Yes. Kovalev's hands were down at the belt line...the punches were below that.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                I will check it out! But he did slow EARLIER than the last fight after using the "over-trained" excuse
                He did slow earlier.

This new Russian coach had worked with the Olympic biathlon team and was supposed to eliminate the problem. Instead Kovalev began his fade sooner than last time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  He did slow earlier.

This new Russian coach had worked with the Olympic biathlon team and was supposed to eliminate the problem. Instead Kovalev began his fade sooner than last time.
                  Kovalev didn't pace himself either. Maybe he knew he couldn't go the distance so he figured he had to KO Ward in the first 5 rounds. He threw way too many punches and had nothing left after.

Comment

and ward was hitting him low from the beginning. he knew he would be allowed to get away wtith it so he did it. not sure why you are defending that though. juts because a punch lands partially on the belt line doesnt mean it isnt also low. if wards glove had partially landed on kovs exposed skin part above the belt and partially on the belt line that would be a borderline blow since the belt is the border but a punch that lands partially on the belt and lower is not legal so im not sure why ward fans are pretendign they are legal shots. uninformed on the rules or just wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
                      Kovalev didn't pace himself either. Maybe he knew he couldn't go the distance so he figured he had to KO Ward in the first 5 rounds. He threw way too many punches and had nothing left after.
                      Maybe he shot his wad. I will say he was doing good in the first four rounds, although Ward was keeping it close

Comment

Working...
                      X