We are in a weak welterweight era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are in a weak welterweight era

Currently the welterweight era is weak.

Manny Pacquiao was a great fighter in his day, but is old and faded. He's really a blown-up flyweight who was at his best at the smaller weights from flyweight to super lightweight.

Keith Thurman is limited and overrated. He struggled against old guys like age 40 Bundu, shot Guerrero.

I like Shawn Porter, he's entertaining, a slugger like Curtis Stevens.

Amir Khan is a weak-chinned joke.

Feather-fisted Tim Bradley couldn't crack an egg and has been awarded some undeserved decisions.

Paulie Malignaggi is a shot old boxer.

Kell Brook seems to be the only bona fide top fighter in the division right now.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

Manny Pacquiao was a great fighter in his day, but is old and faded. He's really a blown-up flyweight who was at his best at the smaller weights from flyweight to super lightweight.

Keith Thurman is limited and overrated. He struggled against old guys like age 40 Bundu, shot Guerrero.

I like Shawn Porter, he's entertaining, a slugger like Curtis Stevens.

Amir Khan is a weak-chinned joke.

Feather-fisted Tim Bradley couldn't crack an egg and has been awarded some undeserved decisions.

Paulie Malignaggi is a shot old boxer.

Kell Brook seems to be the only bona fide top fighter in the division right now.
    I agree except Keith Thurman. Bundu was an undefeated European champ and I believe his age is irrelevant due to the age he started. He just hasn't been given a shot against anyone but since he has a title, that will change.

Paulie Malignaggi is definitley retiring.

Danny Garcia moved up from LWW so hopefully guys like Matthysse and Lamont Peterson will follow.

Comment

Thurman isn't limited and he didn't struggle against any of those two, especially Bundu...he won every round. Brook got a good win against Porter, looked good doing so but hasn't done a thing since. Porter is gonna be a pretty tough outing for most, not sure where he goes from here. Bradley has regressed as a fighter, not sure about him either.

We still got Peterson, Spence, Garcia, Matthysse who intends to move up after tonight and I cant see how it's a weak division.

A lot to be excited about as a boxing fan, especially 154 which is looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        I agree except Keith Thurman. Bundu was an undefeated European champ and I believe his age is irrelevant due to the age he started. He just hasn't been given a shot against anyone but since he has a title, that will change.
        Yes. Plus Bundu beat Gavin. Watching that bout, Bundu imo, was too strong for Gavin.

Comment

It's weaker than when it a few years back when it was Floyd-Cotto-Marg-PWill-Shane but the top 10 at 147 is stronger than the top 10 of most divisions.

Comment

The welterweight division may be weak, in direct comparison to older era's in terms of head to head fantasy matchups. For example the best of this era Floyd/Pacman vs say Oscar/Tito, or Tommy/SRL would probably be whitewashes for the oldschool.

But as far as competitive with what's there to work with, 147 is hot. If we can get those guys to fight, we're in for a treat!!

Comment

Still better than most divisions.

Comment

One of the better divisions in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                  Thurman isn't limited and he didn't struggle against any of those two, especially Bundu...he won every round. Brook got a good win against Porter, looked good doing so but hasn't done a thing since. Porter is gonna be a pretty tough outing for most, not sure where he goes from here. Bradley has regressed as a fighter, not sure about him either.

We still got Peterson, Spence, Garcia, Matthysse who intends to move up after tonight and I cant see how it's a weak division.

A lot to be excited about as a boxing fan, especially 154 which is looking great.
                  Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

Manny Pacquiao was a great fighter in his day, but is old and faded. He's really a blown-up flyweight who was at his best at the smaller weights from flyweight to super lightweight. Losing to Mayweather doesn't lessen you as a fighter.

Keith Thurman is limited and overrated. He struggled against old guys like age 40 Bundu, shot Guerrero. Limited and "struggled", yeah sure

I like Shawn Porter, he's entertaining, a slugger like Curtis Stevens. But he's not a power puncher, his power is like Lamont Peterson (a hard but not power puncher)

Amir Khan is a weak-chinned joke. Maidana is a feather fisted overweight bum

Feather-fisted Tim Bradley couldn't crack an egg and has been awarded some undeserved decisions. It's boxing, you don't need to hit hard if you can box, fights aren't won on power smh

Paulie Malignaggi is a shot old boxer. Fine

Kell Brook seems to be the only bona fide top fighter in the division right now. He has to continue to prove it by fighting top guys
                    Most definitely not weak

Comment

Working...
                    X