Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Be Real, Floyd Mayweather Would've Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson If They Fought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    No. Lets be really honest.

It would be a 50/50 fight. It could literally go either way. SRR was a big WW but Floyd's intelligence is quite possibly bar none in the ring. So it would be a very tough fight to call.

SRR
    SRL
    FMJ

All three guys could beat anyone from any generation p4p and if not it would be a razor thin controversial loss.

With all due respect, I don't think Floyd has proved a thing at welterweight to even be compared to SRR and SRL, let alone given a 50/50 chance of beating them.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

• I doubt Floyd would beat Jake LaMotta, and if Lamotta was a contender when Mayweather was champion, he would have not fought him either!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

With all due respect, I don't think Floyd has proved a thing at welterweight to even be compared to SRR and SRL, let alone given a 50/50 chance of beating them.
        I think his intelligence, ring control, adaptability, unquestionable accuracy, timing and elusiveness would warrant his ability to handle himself against them and anyone p4p for that matter.

He would either lose spectacular or win by what some people may call 'boring' decision.

I think SRL would pose the most problems. Where some may not like this, I think Floyd would be able to adapt and time SRR accordingly to win by decision. Where SRL I think would be much more difficult because he is more than willing to not stay in front of you and make you chase him around the ring.

Comment

• mayweather would win imo.....
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I think his intelligence, ring control, adaptability, unquestionable accuracy, timing and elusiveness would warrant his ability to handle himself against them and anyone p4p for that matter.

He would either lose spectacular or win by what some people may call 'boring' decision.

I think SRL would pose the most problems. Where some may not like this, I think Floyd would be able to adapt and time SRR accordingly to win by decision. Where SRL I think would be much more difficult because he is more than willing to not stay in front of you and make you chase him around the ring.
            I'll respectfully disagree and leave this debate to others, but before I go....Tommy Hearns would be Floyd's worst nightmare!

Comment

all you need to beat floyd is a tucked chin and some semblence of skill. had gatti been a few years younger and kept his chin tucked to the later rounds he probly would have won.

the only thing floyd can do is shell up and land overhand rights. SRR would keep his chin tucked while he out jabs floyd and lands devestating blows while floyd only has his shoulder to protect his chin.

just like this over and over again:

cept SRR would have his left up and his chin tucked more.

SRR would have no poblem timing floyds reactions to his jabs in the shell, and dismanteling it with his right hand and hooks.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-26-2011, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• thing about these comparisons is that they're hard to determine due to the gap of time in terms of dieting, training, and techniques. i'm pretty sure mayweather watched robinson and leonard as a kid, so robinson basically paved the way on how to fight for these younger guys. as time went on, everything around them advanced, therefore mayweather is more skilled/fit than robinson could've thought was do-able. but even that, i don't think mayweather would be able to hurt robinson to the point where robinson wouldn't get his shots in and win the fight. just my opinion though....

Comment

• Floyd could not have beaten Ray Leonard, Hearns and Duran.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    i found the sparring session to be an impressive display of parrying blocking slipping tieing up defense on the inside and picking shots, theres also some pretty decent footwork on display as well.

have you even watched the sparring video or do you just deem anything thats in black and white waste of time?

or do you just know nothing of the sport of boxing, in which case why do you even waste your time watching it?

this is greb against philly jack o'brien...im sure cotto would look much worse against 44-47 yo SRL reguardless of the style cotto fights with.....cotto would be younger so im sure he could outlast SRL but for a 45 second - 1 min clip SRL is going to clown on him hard.

for a self proclaimed student of the game you really dont know that much about it.
                    LMAO. Good try man but there is no way thats not a hilarious vid. It may have been good training for judo but not boxing.

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    all you need to beat floyd is a tucked chin and some semblence of skill. had gatti been a few years younger and kept his chin tucked to the later rounds he probly would have won.

the only thing floyd can do is shell up and land overhand rights. SRR would keep his chin tucked while he out jabs floyd and lands devestating blows while floyd only has his shoulder to protect his chin.

SRR would have no poblem timing floyds reactions to his jabs in the shell, and dismanteling it with his right hand and hooks.
                    As much as I am "in the dark" about black and white, you are way more in the dark about in living color. No version of Gatti beats Floyd. He knew it too. All Floyd can do is shell up and land overhand rights? My God. If I said something this dumb the basement boys would have jump all over it. They are no where to be found. I guess because they would be forced to defend Floyd. We all know thats a no no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post

Come on now, let's not go that far.

No version of Arturo Gatti ever, ever, beats Floyd Mayweather Jr. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X