Amateur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mentori is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 6,021.00
Question Should i get back in the ring?

Hello!

I need some advice from you guys...
Im 27 years old now, i used to box from 14 to 20 (6 years, 5-6 times a week) Fell in love with the sport and dedicated all my time to it. Im really talented because of my work ethic and weird loose style. After year of training i beat up guys who had been training for years. I had my first amateur boxing match at the age of 15 and won 15 of my 18 bouts.

Then this happened... 2009 i was preparing for Finnish boxing championship (Im from Finland) and i was determined to win it and had a dream to turn pro some day... So, i went for a jog at the morning in the woods, during the workout i tripped to this hole on the ground and broke my ankle from 4 spots.. 5 screws and 8 weeks of plaster cast on my foot i could walk again...
It took nearly 3 years to get rid of the pain and doctors said that i wont fight ever again.

But now the last two years my ankles been better than ever, but im scared as hell to go back to the gym. What should i do???
Maybe its because im scared that i fail myself someways..

Ive had this feeling in the back of my head since i was 14 years old that this is my path and boxing is the thing i should be doing. Ive been guide on a Husky park on arctic circle, cook for a few years, but the feeling doesnt disappear. I dont want to regret this when im 40 that i did not do it.

Am i too old already?

Im 184cm tall (6.1)
90kg (200 pounds)

Thank you for your advice and sorry for my ****ty english...
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Mentori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-16-2018, 03:27 PM #2
Contender

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
tcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 6,935.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentori View Post
Hello!

Im 27 years old now, i used to box from 14 to 20 (6 years, 5-6 times a week) Fell in love with the sport and dedicated all my time to it. Im really talented because of my work ethic and weird loose style. After year of training i beat up guys who had been training for years. I had my first amateur boxing match at the age of 15 and won 15 of my 18 bouts.

Then this happened... 2009 i was preparing for Finnish boxing championship (Im from Finland) and i was determined to win it and had a dream to turn pro some day... So, i went for a jog at the morning in the woods, during the workout i tripped to this hole on the ground and broke my ankle from 4 spots.. 5 screws and 8 weeks of plaster cast on my foot i could walk again...
It took nearly 3 years to get rid of the pain and doctors said that i wont fight ever again.

But now the last two years my ankles been better than ever, but im scared as hell to go back to the gym. What should i do???

Ive had this feeling in the back of my head since i was 14 years old that this is my path and boxing is the thing i should be doing. Ive been guide on a Husky park on arctic circle, cook for a few years, but the feeling doesnt disappear. I dont want to regret this when im 40 that i did not do it.

Am i too old already?

Im 184cm tall (6.1)
90kg (200 pounds)

Never too old to get back into it. You don't want to have regret for the rest of your life thinking "What if?"
So start training, see how you hold up and then reevaluate.
tcbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM #3
Amateur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mentori is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 6,021.00

Is there still any chance to turn pro and be succesful?
Ofcourse i know 6 or 7 years apart takes it toll...
Mentori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:15 PM #4
Contender

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
WonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 7,743.50

As was mentioned above, do it else you will experience regret and that is a powerful thing. The "Still a chance ..." should not enter the equation at your age. You get back into and go from there. That's the only way to know.
WonderMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:20 PM #5
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 23,325.49
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Is there still any chance to turn pro and be succesful?
Ofcourse i know 6 or 7 years apart takes it toll...
If you want to fight amateur again than just do it and see how you're holding up. For the pros I would think that you've missed the window though. Just do the ams and see what happens, maybe you could turn pro. But truthfully, who starts a career at 30 years old? Have some fun with the ams, leave the pros alone though… The pros are not about fun, they are straight up about damage...Rockin'

Last edited by Rockin'; 09-16-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
abracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,227.32
Total Points: 13,079.05

Quote:
Hello!

Am i too old already?

Im 184cm tall (6.1)
90kg (200 pounds)

If your O still protected?
abracada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:24 AM #7
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 16891 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,365.65
Total Points: 52,926.41
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 

For a bigger guy I don't think you are too old to have success from the amateurs to the pro game. There are plenty of guys who got involved in boxing later & were bigger guys who had full careers. I'm actually pretty bored with this whole too old angle with people wanting to get involved in boxing.

I definitely agree boxing is a young mans game at the tip top level, but you can compete at virtually every other level these days at any age. There are others just like you thinking just like you are that are already involved in boxing now.

So ultimately this is a you decision & what you wanna do. And how much faith you have in your ankle &/or how much risk you are ready to accept to get back involved in boxing. Thats something only you can decide. But if you've already decided you are ready to take on the risk with the ankle injury & the only concern is with your age I don't think thats a reasonable take on why you shouldn't get back involved in boxing.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 AM #8
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brymansteel is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 6,074.08

I'd do it if I were you. Im your age and still compete. Any involvement in the sport is worth having and 27 isn't old. The odds of having a successful pro career are very low for anyone, Id say based on what you posted you could still do well in the ams and pro wouldnt be impossible. Most boxers I know have a list of old and current injuries. Im sure you know how your ankle is and have had medical advice on it, but if you haven't I'd start with that. Being able to walk is kinda important.
Brymansteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:07 PM #9
E-beef Champion

Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Julia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond reputeJulia Slobberts has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 26,298.00
Debate champ! - Julia Slobberts Excellent debate record! - Julia Slobberts Keep up the good work! - Julia Slobberts #1 - Julia Slobberts The Champ!! - Julia Slobberts 
Wooh! - Julia Slobberts Best poster! - Julia Slobberts Great posting out there! - Julia Slobberts Some cake for the champ!! - Julia Slobberts Great boxing mind! - Julia Slobberts 
Excellent fight predictions!! - Julia Slobberts Slobberts = Champion - Julia Slobberts Slobberts #1! - Julia Slobberts Top poster! - Julia Slobberts Great posting, champ! - Julia Slobberts 
The Champ Slobberts!! - Julia Slobberts Keep up the good posting!! - Julia Slobberts Slobberts is best poster! - Julia Slobberts Great fight predictions!! - Julia Slobberts Keep it up, champ! - Julia Slobberts 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Julia Slobberts Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Julia Slobberts World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Julia Slobberts Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Julia Slobberts 

Taha93's father is way older than you and still trains hard.
Julia Slobberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,088.31
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
Taha93's father is way older than you and still trains hard.
Damn right. Taha's father is second coming of Hopkins
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
back, ring?

User Tag List