Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the GDP is so great, why is minimum wage stagnant?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the numbers will change soon. I was in Ca. last week and ate at chick fil a next door was in and out burger. I ordered my food and a lady was going around to each table passing out cards. She came up and said, "do you know anyone looking for a job? We are hiring and starting wage is 17hr". WTF! This fast food place is paying 17hr to start! She said they are having a hard time finding people and have to offer that much. She said in and out next door was starting at 16hr so they had to up their pay to find people.

I think its a matter of time before we see a report that min wage jobs wages are up.

Comment

All labor is skilled, in one way or another. The whole “hierarchy” of work exists merely because those powerful can get away with it. Simply put, if you have a worker that refuses to build a home for low pay, you can find another random person willing to do so, even if in low quality, without much immediate consequence. That's why so many structures collapse over time, like in the Italy bridge case (where the mafia hired people to build). In contrast, a worker potentially supervising a store can reject a job offer, and the manager will probably have to offer a similar salary to any other candidate, because, this time, the manager's own job is more directly on the line at assuring that a store runs properly, day to day. The mistakes are caught rapidly, if not. So, the powerful of society create hierarchies wherever they can. Ironically, in a lot of cases, it looks like the further you go up a ladder, the less work is required. Perhaps precisely because of that the whole hierarchy system exists, as a type of justification for this disparity.

As for teaching, well, it's a lot of hard work (I should know, because I failed at it twice). I dominated everything except group control, and that was enough to cause my downfall. Teachers are akin to the “manual labor” of the educational system, so they're easy to replace without much consequence, again. As long as most of the system runs relatively smoothly, everything keeps moving forward. Ironically, group control is the most important aspect of teaching, not knowledge. In many ways, unfortunately, teachers are looked upon by the educational system as glorified baby-sitters, which is why it's more about keeping everybody “cool,” rather than achieving something great or whatever; that's also why they're discriminated against in terms of pay. Society takes advantage of them, and, in turn, education itself suffers. That's what's led, in part, to the crisis we have now, where truth itself is questioned by people that seem to imagine that it's whatever you make it out to be, rather than an objective study of reality. Society made society lose respect for intellect. I, myself, don't really respect anybody anymore, either, but I still try to hold myself to a solid definition of truth. For others, it's “whatever” now, so it's really about what they want, and how they don't care what kind of “reality” they have to cook up to get it.

Anyhow, society is unfair. Everyone should receive the same benefits, for equal work. Humans, though, are too greedy to ever change. It's easy to imagine a society where education focuses on preparing you for different aspects and jobs of life, on a rotating basis, even. Instead, we spend countless hours on theory that we ultimately forget, and then move on to a world of neglect.

Ey, yo, jaded, why you trippin' so hard? What's so wrong about my posting? Was it the documentary I posted?

Comment

Debt is at all time high too

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
          I think the numbers will change soon. I was in Ca. last week and ate at chick fil a next door was in and out burger. I ordered my food and a lady was going around to each table passing out cards. She came up and said, "do you know anyone looking for a job? We are hiring and starting wage is 17hr". WTF! This fast food place is paying 17hr to start! She said they are having a hard time finding people and have to offer that much. She said in and out next door was starting at 16hr so they had to up their pay to find people.

I think its a matter of time before we see a report that min wage jobs wages are up.
          That’s nothing new. In n out and Chick-fil-A have always paid their workers a few dollar off the minimum wage. And it shows! Those two businesses have some great customer service

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
            Any words?

Don't give me the "well they just need to work harder" BS. No reason why the manual labor guys and gals shouldn't be reaping the benefits of this GREAT economy we have going.
            Do you have any skills? I mean besides being a D- troll and a terrible debater on topics of import? You are on here way too often to have a real job...are you one of those “enlightened baristas” that knows everything about everything?

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
              Do you have any skills? I mean besides being a D- troll and a terrible debater on topics of import? You are on here way too often to have a real job...are you one of those “enlightened baristas” that knows everything about everything?
              I think it's a shame we analyze each other like products. We're people. It's a shame the world we live in. I mean, think about it; we literally do it like this...

*Pretend world*

Employer: Hmmm, krazynatedogg....What is his possible value? Let's make a list

Krazynatedogg, CO, desired list of attributes for employment at fictional company:

1. Ability to beat people.
              2. Lack of sympathy
              3. Sunken place
              4. Bigotry
              5. Blood lust
              6. Ego

Do you, krazynatedogg, meet these attributes for my fictional company?

*Exiting pretend-world*

See!? That's how it is! In life, they expect so much more of us than what is morally right. We think of each other as products. Now, I'm not saying this was your employment experience, but this is merely a fictional example of what it takes to survive in the "real world". Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
                Debt is at all time high too
                Public or personal?

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
                  That’s nothing new. In n out and Chick-fil-A have always paid their workers a few dollar off the minimum wage. And it shows! Those two businesses have some great customer service
                  Min wage in Sacramento Ca is 11.00 a hr. 17hr is crazy! But hey good on them for paying a living wage.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                    Public or personal?
                    US debt......

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post

Master's degree in Electrical Engineering and B.S. Physics.

Comment

Working...
                      X