Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 08-15-2018, 05:50 PM #31
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 9,909.48

Every person on this forum knows that if the situation were suddenly somehow made real and they were forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, that their money would damned well go on Ali to smash the Cuban. I say every person on here knows this, and those who claim not to are either liars or lack enough imagination to form a simple picture.

That does not mean these things cannot be discussed or that all debate is gone from them. It means what I said. Every person here, forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, would favor Ali to dispatch the big amateur.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM #32
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
HOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond reputeHOUDINI563 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 8,901.14

Well said and of course.
HOUDINI563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 AM #33
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,048.21
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
Every person on this forum knows that if the situation were suddenly somehow made real and they were forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, that their money would damned well go on Ali to smash the Cuban. I say every person on here knows this, and those who claim not to are either liars or lack enough imagination to form a simple picture.

That does not mean these things cannot be discussed or that all debate is gone from them. It means what I said. Every person here, forced to bet their childrens' lives on the outcome, would favor Ali to dispatch the big amateur.
^^^^^^ here, here
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM #34
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,115.33
Total Points: 15,243.94
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
He lost the hunger early on, only chased money.
Also getting stopped by Terence Crawford seemed to have something to do with him losing the hunger as well. Kind of like Tyson after his first loss. Lost motivation after he no longer felt invincible.
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 AM #35
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3757 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,048.21
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
Also getting stopped by Terence Crawford seemed to have something to do with him losing the hunger as well. Kind of like Tyson after his first loss. Lost motivation after he no longer felt invincible.
His career took a turn for the worse when he withdrew from Brandon Rios fight
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 PM #36
Up and Comer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Havoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these partsHavoctka is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 6,813.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
Do you have that quote anywhere; I would love to read Duran telling off Fidel.
Its in durans bio the new one with him posing both books about chollo good read
Havoctka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 PM #37
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 21,915.36
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 
Default Wow Stevenson sold short here!

I have to be the contrarian here, but I am not playing devil's advocate. First we have to make some assumptions: There is a training period, a set of rounds and rules that meets both guys half way. So lets say Stevenson trains for a ten round fight with Ali, or some other such situation where both guys have somewhat equal footing.

First off while the ammy style is not liked by many, the Cubans were masters at it. They were incredible technical fighters.
they were tough and we see today that even at the end of their twilight they are always well prepared professionals.

Stevenson had the power of a great heavyweight, the speed of a middle weight and was every bit as athletically special as the greatest himself. Ali himself thought as much, for what it is worth.

I think Stevenson could have been a challenge for Ali. Ali fought very durable pressure guys, he fought guys who hit like mules, but Stevenson was as fast as Ali imo. I believe both guys would have their moments, and I would call it a toss up.

Should say also: Most of the knock on Stevenson is the style he fought and what he would do when facing a professional styled fighter. Well, if Cuban's fell apart when becoming professionals, its news to me! most seem to adapt well, very well in fact. I am aware that today the professional ranks has adapted a more amatuer looking style...but still. There is no reason to think the difference of style would cause Stephenson more problems than stevenson's speed and footwork would cause Ali.

Last edited by billeau2; 10-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.
billeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM #38
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 10201 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,892.44
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensburyRules View Post
--- Brownie not half the athlete Wilt was and not trained by Cus.
I don't know about that.

Jim Brown excelled in football, basketball, track, and lacrosse while attending college at Syracuse University.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 PM #39
Interim Champion

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Ben Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 7,294.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
Well, if Cuban's fell apart when becoming professionals, its news to me! most seem to adapt well, very well in fact.
I believe Cubans would’ve been vastly more successful in the pro rings if they hadn’t fallen for temptations. It’s such a huge step coming from Cuba to the ‘glamorous’ US. Suddenly, all and everything is possible for you to achieve – if you have the money. If it will make you happier is another question …

Leaving the topic, found this interesting in The Ring magazine: a story about the Ali vs. Spinks rematch in which sports columnist Mike Marley, at the time a Las Vegas Sun reporter, is quoted:
“[Before the fight] Greg Page, Tony Tubbs and Michael Dokes were his [Ali’s] sparring partners. He would just rope-a-dope and let them pound on him. I don’t think that did him any good.”

That brain surely had to sustain a lot.
Ben Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM #40
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
DuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond reputeDuckAdonis has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 13,881.68
I'm proud to be the first to pop your ignorance cherry - Boxing Goat Great posting, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony 

Stevenson had no experience in the pro's so Ali wins
DuckAdonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
1976, stevenson

User Tag List