Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better counter-puncher: James Toney or Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pick Marquez but I am not sure. They were both great counter punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderFists View Post
      I would go with toney. I have seen marquez been outboxed, i have seen toney NEVER been thoroughly outboxed in his career. Outside his prime obviously. Also toneys punchs naturally looked like counter punches they would flow effortlessly. Marquez would load up on his counters to get the full effect. Watching toneys was more natural like watching raindrops or the river flow.
      Then you have barely watched him then.

Roy Jones schooled him so badly it looked like it was Toney's amateur debut.

Reggie Johnson outboxed him.

Micheal Nunn outboxed him (before he was caught)

Montel Griffin outboxed him.

He was not hard to outbox at all.

Comment

Marquez's combinations are on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
          james toney hands down.

aside from fighting manny and giving him a hard time, im not that really impress with marquez. he just got pac figured out.

i think he got lucky when matched with pac early on in their career which continue on a rivalry. i feel if he never fought manny, most people wont even know who marquez is.

he looks like crap in the bradley fight. i've never seen him get clown like that.
          Not impressed?? That's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
            Both were known to be tremendous counter punchers, particularly the right hand counter. They also threw punches in combos, had great chins, and were willing to take a punch to land their own punches in return, although their styles were very different.

Who do you think was the better counter puncher in your opinion?
            Depends which one took more roids that day........

Comment

They’re totally different in their approach, so it’s very hard to determine which is the better counter puncher. They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in how they operated and used their counters. Toney was more an in the pocket, defensive counter puncher while Marquez was an outside, aggressive counter puncher that used high punch combinations and power punching.

Both absolutely amazing. I like Marquez for his combinations and going balls to the wall to land some of the best combos I think we’ve ever seen and Toney for the way he set up his counters inside and off his defense.

Hard to compare them though as they fought so different.

Comment

Working...
              X