No announcement yet.

Shakur Stevenson: Brick City

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Randomly that's crazy how that works & it happens every Olympics...hell every year basically when amateurs turn pro. If you are top of the food chain you can turn pro on TV, if you lost in the finals to the guy who's on top of the food chain by a point you stand a good chance of turning pro in Iowa at the bottom of a off TV card to a local news article IF you're lucky.

I think any bozo promoter with a million or two to risk could sign an awesome roster of extremely high level amateurs transitioning to the pros easy with how fast the drop off is from the #1 guy to the #2 thru #5 guys.
    Actually in the Rio olympics, Richardson Hitchins lost against Gary Russell in the olympic trials (he beat Russell early and then lost against him), his parents are from Haiti so he could fight for Haiti in the olympics, he faced Russell again in the World Olympic Qualifier and again in the Olympics but lost close fights both times, TMT signed him and he is already a pro (19/20 years old i believe), but if it wasn't for the fact that his parents were from Haiti so he could have the Olympic exposure he wouldn't have been signed by Mayweather.
    There have been plenty of good fighters that didn't qualified for their Olympic team, Tommy Hearns, Aaron Pryor (both eliminated by Howard Davis), Mike Tyson, Michael Nunn, Shane Mosley, Zab Judah, Andre Berto, Austin Trout and recently Thurman, Crawdord and Porter.

Comment

From being a boxing coach I have realized with my own kids, boxers tend to have less sportsmanship than athletes that are in team sports. Obviously a team sport has more people to blame with a loss but nonetheless its hard for a boxer to lose. Boxers that have the best mindset are the 1s that take their wins as a learning experience just like a loss. Stevenson seems like he is starting to realize that, lets just hope it transitions well into the pros because at the lower weight classes, its hard to keep that 0

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
        Actually in the Rio olympics, Richardson Hitchins lost against Gary Russell in the olympic trials (he beat Russell early and then lost against him), his parents are from Haiti so he could fight for Haiti in the olympics, he faced Russell again in the World Olympic Qualifier and again in the Olympics but lost close fights both times, TMT signed him and he is already a pro (19/20 years old i believe), but if it wasn't for the fact that his parents were from Haiti so he could have the Olympic exposure he wouldn't have been signed by Mayweather.
        There have been plenty of good fighters that didn't qualified for their Olympic team, Tommy Hearns, Aaron Pryor (both eliminated by Howard Davis), Mike Tyson, Michael Nunn, Shane Mosley, Zab Judah, Andre Berto, Austin Trout and recently Thurman, Crawdord and Porter.
        I wasn't saying all that.

I'm saying being 2nd place in the amateurs can greatly f#ck up your initial value upon entering the pro game & promoters could get some nice discounts on extremely promising fighters.

Plus its interesting to me how being points away from beating the top guy in the Olympic trials & even having secured wins over that top guy in the past can get him on TV & you not even be a featured bout on the undercard in some godforsaken non-boxing friendly state lol.

That point or two you can lose by in the amateur game severely f#cks up your early earning power & make you have to prove a whole lot more in the pros than you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I wasn't saying all that.

I'm saying being 2nd place in the amateurs can greatly f#ck up your initial value upon entering the pro game & promoters could get some nice discounts on extremely promising fighters.

Plus its interesting to me how being points away from beating the top guy in the Olympic trials & even having secured wins over that top guy in the past can get him on TV & you not even be a featured bout on the undercard in some godforsaken non-boxing friendly state lol.

That point or two you can lose by in the amateur game severely f#cks up your early earning power & make you have to prove a whole lot more in the pros than you'd think.
          Yeah that's what I'm saying.
          Hitchins beat Russell at the beginning of the olympic trials but then Russell beat him in really close fights so Russell secured the spot in the Olympic team.
          Hitchins was lucky that he could fight for another country so he could get Olympic exposure because besides him, all the second places at the Olympic trials are fighting in non televised cards.

Comment

Working...
          X