Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a European who's a PPV star worldwide?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious about this as well, an interesting topic. All I can think of off the top of my head is Ricky Hatton, did awesome numbers vs Mayweather. But May pretty much became a PPV Colossus after the DLH fight, so no surprise there. I guess the Klitchkos never go PPV? It does appear as if PPVs don't even exist in Europe, they seem to get all that for free

Comment

Comment

Hatton was close, and Haye had the potential but blew it

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
          Sorry Mate, but I DO count Lewis. He's a West Ham fan. No one would put themselves through that without good reason.

But back on topic I suppose Ricky Hatton was the closest thing.

Before PPV Georges Carpentier was a mega star. His bout against Jack Dempsey had whole newspapers previewing the bout even going so far to say Georges would win because of the shape of his head!!!

Maybe Jimmy Wilde too.

Anyway, the answer is probably only Lennox. And maybe Ricky.
          So was Schmeling. And Paolino Uzcudun. Anton Raa*** was a very good middleweight, as was marcel thil, and not forgetting Marcel Cerdan, the best of the lot. I'm sure there are a few more but PPV is far too new to include any of the above. It's only become a fixed part of bocing in the past few years. Even Tyson and Oscar were more or less early bloomers. There have been greatly popular European and british boxers that people over here have never heard of, like Bruce Woodc0ck, Freddie Mills, Kid Berg, Kid Lewis,Freddie Welsh, Jackie Patterson, Benny Lynch and others, all of whom except Woodc0ck were top class world champions.
          Henry Cooper was a 3 time Lonsdale belt winner and more, then Len Harvey, and Bombardier Wells was the man on the J Arthur Rank org movie intro who struck the big gong with the long mallet. Terrific build.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
            Green K Good post

Comment

America don't have PPV stars outside of the USA. We get your ppv tv for free lol

Comment

Originally posted by FeatherFists View Post
                America don't have PPV stars outside of the USA. We get your ppv tv for free lol
                It is a trade off. You get our PPVs for free, you get to be America's largest immobile aircraft carrier and still consider yourselves a world power. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                  Yea U.K gets damn near all their fights except for a couple exceptions for free. Yea sucks I know, F the U.K for that n
                  Not really free. You got to subscribe to sky sports (£20 a month) and box nation (£10 a month) to get all the fights.

The only true world wide PPV star was Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                    I don't count Lennox Lewis since even he doesn't know who he actually fought for. He fought for Canada in the Olympics. So I'm wondering if there actually is anyone beside Lennox.
                    Of course. Lewis and Hatton. You can probably add Haye before the end of his career too.

Comment

Definetly Hatton, he had 2 million buys in a fight...

Comment

Working...
                      X