Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why couldn't Cotto attack Margarito's body in the 1st fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why couldn't Cotto attack Margarito's body in the 1st fight?

I remember reading somewhere that it was his intention to go to the body, but he just was not able to. Didn't really explain why. If you pay attention to the Mosley and Pacquiao fights (vs Margs), both landed damaging shots to Margarito's long, lean torso. Shots that appeared to have set Margarito back in both fights.

With that said, why didn't Cotto go to the body in the first fight? Will he attack the body this time around?

Originally posted by El Chicano View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that it was his intention to go to the body, but he just was not able to. Didn't really explain why. If you pay attention to the Mosley and Pacquiao fights (vs Margs), both landed damaging shots to Margarito's long, lean torso. Shots that appeared to have set Margarito back in both fights.

With that said, why didn't Cotto go to the body in the first fight? Will he attack the body this time around?
    I think he tried early and couldn't because of the way Margo holds his elbows.

Mosley and Pac got to the body off counters and Margo started leaning forward.

Whenever Cotto Countered he went to the head.

Another thing is that Margo moved his upper body a lot in the first fight. He barley moved at all vs Mosley and Pac.

Comment

Because Marg kept his elbows low, hence why he got hit in the face so many times.. Plus you have to commit when you go to the body, Cotto didnt want to do that because Marg would be able to return fire more easily..
      Plus if you look at it, Cotto couldnt hurt Mosley,Clottey,Pac or Tony to the body.. That devestating body work only works on C fighters and 140lbers..
      At 154, Im sure is punches will be even less effective vs Tony.. Barring Tonys eye falling out, I dont see Cotto winning this one

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        I think he tried early and couldn't because of the way Margo holds his elbows.

Mosley and Pac got to the body off counters and Margo started leaning forward.

Whenever Cotto Countered he went to the head.

Another thing is that Margo moved his upper body a lot in the first fight. He barley moved at all vs Mosley and Pac.
        pretty much this, he always keeps his elbows against his body tight

Comment

The Gomez fight was the last time i really saw cotto throw good body punches.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
            The Gomez fight was the last time i really saw cotto throw good body punches.
            He threw some good ones vs Mayorga.

He also finished Forman with a nice body shot.

Comment

No, because Marg's best punch is the uppercut. What most people don't understand is that to dedicate yourself you going to the body, you have to get in close and it leaves you exposed for uppercuts.

Why would Cotto want to stand and trade with Marg on the inside? Makes no sense. I think Cotto will throw the occasional body shot but I don't think stylistically he will be able to really throw to the body the way he normally wants to.

Comment

The head was so tempting that he did not even bother to hit the body. Pac hurt Margarito to the body. Cotto should hurt him.

Comment

Seems like Cotto all but abandoned his left hook to the body as he moved up to 147. He put Gomez down with it at 147, but didn't stop him, which probably indicated to him that it wouldn't be the show-stopper it once was at the lower weights. He ended fights with it at 140, but only scored a knockdown with it against a tune-up opponent at 147, so a marquee fighter would probably be even less phased.

Also, he TKO'd Foreman with a left hook to the body in their fight, but the announcers were basically selling radio ads during the fight about his left hook to the body making a comeback, and he conveniently started throwing it with regularity that night. Almost as if the fighters were interviewed beforehand by HBO, like usual, and his team was asked if he would try to use the left hook to the body again...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                    No, because Marg's best punch is the uppercut. What most people don't understand is that to dedicate yourself you going to the body, you have to get in close and it leaves you exposed for uppercuts.
                    that's exactly what I was going to say. Those uppercuts were forcing cotto to keep it to the outside.

Granted he was getting hit by them anyway, but I'd imagine he would have got hit with even more if he tried to attack the body.

I think the better question is how come cotto didn't clinch? Mosley did it and it worked great for him. Any time Margarito got to close, shane tied him up. Cotto doesn't do that, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to start now.

Comment

Working...
                    X