Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golovkin could've been fighting Ward this fall. Missed out on a big opportunity.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
    Ward didn know about the Leimux fight and the conditions in the contract would have changed if they simply spoke and negotiated to accommodate the situation. Christ, I don't why you're acting as if it was some impossible obstacle. You went from telling everyone Ward wanted the fight in 15 months to Ward only wanting to fight immediately or nothing. It's hilarious.
    I dont know what Ward "wanted", nor do I care. I only know what was in the "offer". 1 interim fight, and then they meet in 2016. Thats it. And for the "honor" of fighting Ward, GGG is supposed to give him a 50-50 split, concede an 8 pound weight advantage to a guy that hasnt even made 168 in 3 years, AND give up his IBF and WBC interim titles, and his mando position to the Cotto-Canelo winner. And all for a fight that would be lucky to crack 250k buys.

Sometimes an offer is so absurd that it doesnt even warrant a counter offer, or any real attempt to negotiate. Like for example if you have a car for sale for $30,000 and someone offers you 5 grand. It doesnt even warrant a response. The Ward offer was one of those deals. You seem to think otherwise. You obviously have alot more time on your hands than GGG and K2 do, if you would actually have tried to resolve all the obvious conflicts......

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
      Is it about money or legacy for gg?
      Boxers only fight for legacy if they can make money doing it. Imo, unifying all the MW titles would do more for GGG's legacy than beating Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        Boxers only fight for legacy if they can make money doing it. Imo, unifying all the MW titles would do more for GGG's legacy than beating Ward.
        Yeah, just like it did for Jermaine Taylor, LMFAO... I'll say this about Jermaine beating BHop did more for his legacy than unifying the belts.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          I dont know what Ward "wanted", nor do I care. I only know what was in the "offer". 1 interim fight, and then they meet in 2016. Thats it. And for the "honor" of fighting Ward, GGG is supposed to give him a 50-50 split, concede an 8 pound weight advantage to a guy that hasnt even made 168 in 3 years, AND give up his IBF and WBC interim titles, and his mando position to the Cotto-Canelo winner. And all for a fight that would be lucky to crack 250k buys.

Sometimes an offer is so absurd that it doesnt even warrant a counter offer, or any real attempt to negotiate. Like for example if you have a car for sale for $30,000 and someone offers you 5 grand. It doesnt even warrant a response. The Ward offer was one of those deals. You seem to think otherwise. You obviously have alot more time on your hands than GGG and K2 do, if you would actually have tried to resolve all the obvious conflicts......
          Just a few months before the Ward offer, Mr I Respek Box team said 164 and 50/50 was fair. The difference between Ward's offer is 4 pounds. How in the world is Ward's first offer not a reasonable starting point that's not even worth negotiating?

We know Ward is willing to wait over a year for a mega fight. Something Loeffler would have learned if they simply spoke to each other. We also know Ward was willing to do it as soon as possible by offering the fight in the first half in 2016. So the date could have been pretty much anytime GGG wanted in, 2016.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-28-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastlos View Post
            Yeah, just like it did for Jermaine Taylor, LMFAO... I'll say this about Jermaine beating BHop did more for his legacy than unifying the belts.
            Taylor won all 4 titles by beating Hopkins, so you can't separate the two achievements. But it was BHop who unified them, which is the main reason why he is a bigger name than Ward.

Look at it this way, if GGG had fought and beaten Andre Ward, Ward's status as a legacy opponent would have been diminished by the loss and it wouldn't be viewed as a great achievement by anybody but a few hard core fans, even if it had been for Ward's SMW title.

Yeah, GGG would have won world titles in more than one division, but that's no big deal any more. Plenty of boxers win titles in more than one division, but there hasn't been another unified, undisputed champ in any division since Taylor, over 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              Look at it this way, if GGG had fought and beaten Andre Ward, Ward's status as a legacy opponent would have been diminished by the loss and it wouldn't be viewed as a great achievement by anybody but a few hard core fans, even if it had been for Ward's SMW title.

Yeah, GGG would have won world titles in more than one division, but that's no big deal any more. Plenty of boxers win titles in more than one division, but there hasn't been another unified, undisputed champ in any division since Taylor, over 10 years ago.
              If GGG moved up and defeated Ward that would be considered the greatest win since Leonard came out of retirement to beat Hagler. You're delusional. Ward was considered, and proved, unbeatable at 168.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                If GGG moved up and defeated Ward that would be considered the greatest win since Leonard came out of retirement to beat Hagler. You're delusional. Ward was considered, and proved, unbeatable at 168.
                Hagler is an ATG. Ward, 2016, is an HBO and internet hype job.

Soggie 2011 was a good SMW champion, but he avoided too many challenges to have anything like the status and reputation that Hagler enjoyes with real boxing fans and historians.
                Last edited by kafkod; 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Alexander Brand lol

Comment

Working...
                  X