Collapse
No announcement yet.

This era of welterweights are UNDERRATED

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until the fights happen how are supposed to rate them?

I agree the top 3 are very talented, and there a bunch of decent contenders, but they actually need to fight for us to get excited about them.

Comment

The current crop of elites can hang with past WWs but they barely hang among themselves so they have less credibility related to a body work. They are not making marquis fights; instead, remain satisfied with pushing one showcase performance after another. Yawn.

Comment

Porter and Garcia are the only ones who seem interested in fighting. Spence is going to spend 18+ months of his prime healthy but not fighting any top-10 147 opponents.

Comment

You can't really break things by generation because it's way too vague. When does one generation end and a new one start? Nobody knows because welterweights and every other weight class is constantly changing with older good welterweights getting too old to beat the best or retiring and good young welterweights coming up. I think welterweights is a strong deep weight class now with Spence, Crawford and maybe Thurman being a hard fight for great welterweights of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
            These boys don't get enough respect, the common perception is the current gen can't hang with past generations of elite welters, as is usually the case though, I feel these guys will get their credit when they hang up the gloves and the next generation of fighters start to breakthrough, then they will get the same stick these guys are getting. Funny how this sport works.

You look at the current scene and see every profile of fighter, every style, personality etc we have seen in previous eras. Thurman, Spence, Crawford, Porter, Danny, these guys would be competitive in any era
            Its not that they are not competitive, the difference is there is no great fights happening between them, give them some more time and they will stamp their generation, so far they havent lived up to the last gen.
            Last edited by Roadblock; 12-11-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Garcia and Porter would be competitive with Crawford and Spence bro. These guys are overlooked cos they've got a couple losses but they have fought everyone. Look at how crafty and gritty Porter is, that man is going to fight you hard for 12 rounds, I don't see that being different in any era. Danny could get outpointed by the more active and skilled guys, but he's a tough, tough kid with a good temperament and skills of his own, it would take a special fighter to really outclass him.
              Danny and Shawn would both get absolutely schooled by SRL or Tommy Hearns for example, and probably stopped by the latter.
              I am by no means saying DSG and Porter are bad fighters but they just aren’t capable of competing with the elite of the elite, and during the late 70’s to early 80’s the 147 lb division was filled with elite talent.

Comment

These boys don't get enough respect, the common perception is the current gen can't hang with past generations of elite welters, as is usually the case though, I feel these guys will get their credit when they hang up the gloves and the next generation of fighters start to breakthrough, then they will get the same stick these guys are getting. Funny how this sport works.

You look at the current scene and see every profile of fighter, every style, personality etc we have seen in previous eras. Thurman, Spence, Crawford, Porter, Danny, these guys would be competitive in any era
                How can you rate them properly when they’re yet to prove themselves against each other. They are all just posturing, already in their 30’s and they couldn’t even hold solid ppv numbers lol funny coz its the social media era where promotions are made easier. What they’re doing reflects the attention and love given to them by fans.

Thurman has the best resume among them, even then it’s too shallow to compare to the top WWs in the previous era.
                When are they gonna fight? When they’re 34???

Floyd pac cotto can already retire during those times and still be rank higher than these guys.

Comment

I don't know John. Spence and Crawford look like they could compete in any era. I can't see Thurman, Danny or Porter thriving in the 80's, 90's or during the 00's.

Porter is very crude and in eras where fighters were more skilled I think he'd get dominated. Thurman maybe because he showed he can box a bit. even though Danny is my boy his ww resume doesn't suggest he'd be a major player in another era.

Comment

I disagree! This is by far the worst group of welters I have ever seen and I been watching boxing for over 40 years; danny is a joke and porter is no great! That only leaves spence and thurman. spence is untested. thurman is frail and can't stay healthy enough to compete!

Comment

Imagine these clowns competing with prime duran leonard hearns oscar and tito or pacman lol hell no! I just don't see it. even washed up pacman would be favored over most of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X