Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Usyk be a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Usyk be a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division?

Usyk wants to unify the CW and then move up to HW. He'll definitely make the HW division even more intersting once he moves up.

Could this be the future HW champion of the world??

He will be able to outbox some of the less skilled HWs due to superior movement, but any top HW will destroy him simple because the skill disparity will not be enough to overcome the size disparity.

Comment

He could be a player but not a force.....he doesn't have the size to deal with someone like Joshua or a Fury.... He could probably beat someone like Parker, possibly Wilder but it would only take one right hand to erase all his good work.

Comment

I don't think so. Doesn't hit hard enough and 6'3" is small for modern heavyweights. Could have interesting fights with the likes of Povetkin or Parker. But the super-heavyweights are just way too big for him.

Comment

I used to, but i think he's too small for the likes of AJ/Fury/Wilder. I'd fancy him to beat Parker right now though.

Comment

His style doesn't suit fighting bigger fighters. He'll get KO'd by any decent HW.

Comment

Like others have said, i could see him being able to win a title. He could have a chance against the smaller HW's.

I don't see him having enough pop to compete with the real giants of the division though.

Comment

Usyk can be one of the best cruiserweights ever, but he doesn't have enough weight and pop in his punches to rule HW division where fighters rely on their power more than skills. The size gap would be too big. Fighters like Gassiev would adjust better to HW

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
                  Usyk can be one of the best cruiserweights ever, but he doesn't have enough weight and pop in his punches to rule HW division where fighters rely on their power more than skills. The size gap would be too big. Fighters like Gassiev would adjust better to HW
                  This. Regarding CW - he can be one of the best ever.

At HW - he'll prolly win one of the four titles at HW at some point, and can beat some of the top-10 guys. But the big dudes who are 6'6''/250+ are just too big and strong.

Who knows, doe - maybe he'll have a potent punch himself at HW?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    I don't think so. Doesn't hit hard enough and 6'3" is small for modern heavyweights. Could have interesting fights with the likes of Povetkin or Parker. But the super-heavyweights are just way too big for him.
                    6'3 is now like the starting point for heavyweights, your average heavyweight is 6'5 - 6'6.

Like someone else said, Usyk will most likely be a player, but probably not a force. If he was younger, I'd give him more of a hope, but at 30 I wouldn't remain in the cruiserweight division for more than 2 years before I jumped to heavyweight. It seems like Heavyweights today peak at 35 and then decline thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                    X