Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Adrrriaaaan is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,017.00
Default Tight Hips / Throwing Hooks

Hello,

I've been boxing for about 18 months and have always struggled with tight hips / hip flexors.

I feel like on my right side I can't quite swing my hip around to give me enough power when I'm throwing a cross. Equally I feel that my hooks are weaker than they could be because my hip flexors feel very tight.

I stretch and stretch but really haven't found this to be particularly effective. Putting the road work in 3-4 times a week probably isn't helping either.

Anyone have any tips? I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have to do yoga but I'll avoid it like the plague if I can!!

Thank you in advance.
Adrrriaaaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-24-2016, 09:00 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
NearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond reputeNearHypnos has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,214.72
Total Points: 27,281.12
thanks for the vid man - mellow_mood Great poster! - UTEP 

Whats wrong with yoga? Gotta do what you gotta do man. I came in here to say stretch and then some more stretching but you already know that. Try yoga for a couple months that might help. Might help relax or re focus you..and being loose and relaxed goes a LOOOOONG way. Stretch and fight/train within yourself and don't feel like you're in a hurry. Keep your breathing calm and steady and you'll eventually find your leverage and what works best for you. It's only been 18 months...it takes some people years to discover how to torque their bodies and other time more years after that to make it feel natural.

I don't know the extent of your "tightness" so it's hard to recommend things and at 18 months you should already have a good fitness base. Maybe try compensating by using the rest of your body? Try using your toes to dig in, pivot, power through your quads/hamstrings into your core and following the movement? So work on your toes (running in sand if that's possibility and lot's of explosive lower body movements..sprints..slow and deliberate heavy bag work, etc.

If you have some sort of deficiency somewhere you'll just have to keep trying to find a way to make it work for you.

I had an uncle who always had off rhythm and that Carl Froch like clumsyness to him and no matter what he did he always claimed to not be able to move his hips as powerfully as the rest of his body..he joined a dancing class with his wife (though not with the intention of helping him in the gym..) and claims it helped him...though they did that s hit for like 2 years? Lol. He seemed I guess a little lighter on the pivot/lead foot ...maybe? but...I dunno.. If he says it made him feel more balanced I guess whatever works. 2+ years and he lost about 15 pounds from the extra workload so it coulda just been him being more fit...... And dancing might not be an option for you..

Do what you gotta do man.
NearHypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Boxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,233.03
Total Points: 47,064.16
Cheers brother! - Redd Foxx No Message - DionysusX Good poster. Keep it up. - 1bad65 Cheers, bruh!! - Tony Trick-Pony Good threads lately. - GhostofDempsey 

I have to agree with NearHypnos, whats wrong with yoga? lol, I know it sounds funny but even Juan Manuel Marquez does it and he turns his body into a punch better than most in boxing. I understand you may not want to enroll in a class but you can always youtube it and do it at home. But if you are really dead set against it, get a broom stick, place it behind your neck with your arms holding it in place over each side, and rotate at the hips. I would do this after a workout probably in the sauna because you will be more relaxed in your muscles and joints, its pretty good on the core too.
Boxfan83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 PM #4
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearHypnos View Post
Whats wrong with yoga? Gotta do what you gotta do man. I came in here to say stretch and then some more stretching but you already know that. Try yoga for a couple months that might help. Might help relax or re focus you..and being loose and relaxed goes a LOOOOONG way. Stretch and fight/train within yourself and don't feel like you're in a hurry. Keep your breathing calm and steady and you'll eventually find your leverage and what works best for you. It's only been 18 months...it takes some people years to discover how to torque their bodies and other time more years after that to make it feel natural.

I don't know the extent of your "tightness" so it's hard to recommend things and at 18 months you should already have a good fitness base. Maybe try compensating by using the rest of your body? Try using your toes to dig in, pivot, power through your quads/hamstrings into your core and following the movement? So work on your toes (running in sand if that's possibility and lot's of explosive lower body movements..sprints..slow and deliberate heavy bag work, etc.

If you have some sort of deficiency somewhere you'll just have to keep trying to find a way to make it work for you.

I had an uncle who always had off rhythm and that Carl Froch like clumsyness to him and no matter what he did he always claimed to not be able to move his hips as powerfully as the rest of his body..he joined a dancing class with his wife (though not with the intention of helping him in the gym..) and claims it helped him...though they did that s hit for like 2 years? Lol. He seemed I guess a little lighter on the pivot/lead foot ...maybe? but...I dunno.. If he says it made him feel more balanced I guess whatever works. 2+ years and he lost about 15 pounds from the extra workload so it coulda just been him being more fit...... And dancing might not be an option for you..

Do what you gotta do man.
It's great advice, thank you. lol, I don't have anything necessarily against yoga, it's just boring!! But you're right - gotta do what you've gotta do.

I find myself overcompensating in other ways - switching stance because one side feels tight with all the weight on my back foot OR worse, throwing shots from chest instead of my chin to get that extra leverage.

I can see how dancing helps actually - footwork, timing, head movement! Might give it a shot. Haha.

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:57 PM #5
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxfan83 View Post
I have to agree with NearHypnos, whats wrong with yoga? lol, I know it sounds funny but even Juan Manuel Marquez does it and he turns his body into a punch better than most in boxing. I understand you may not want to enroll in a class but you can always youtube it and do it at home. But if you are really dead set against it, get a broom stick, place it behind your neck with your arms holding it in place over each side, and rotate at the hips. I would do this after a workout probably in the sauna because you will be more relaxed in your muscles and joints, its pretty good on the core too.
Thank you. Yoga is just a bit boring but I'm not majorly against it :-) The stick thing is a good one, thanks.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 PM #6
Banned

Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
AlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,184.80
Total Points: 61,252.23
for being a true ambassador in the training forum - jas Winning hearts/minds of the Loungers - BostonGuy AlexKid is good boy - Willy Wanker WAR Alex da kid! - Hi Rudyo! Lounge MVP - Ruthless One 
Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! King Lounge poster - ,GGG The king of comedy - Polarbear XdXdXddddd - Santa_ Its a parallelogram....enjoy it - Spray_resistant 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrrriaaaan View Post
Hello,

I've been boxing for about 18 months and have always struggled with tight hips / hip flexors.

I feel like on my right side I can't quite swing my hip around to give me enough power when I'm throwing a cross. Equally I feel that my hooks are weaker than they could be because my hip flexors feel very tight.

I stretch and stretch but really haven't found this to be particularly effective. Putting the road work in 3-4 times a week probably isn't helping either.

Anyone have any tips? I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have to do yoga but I'll avoid it like the plague if I can!!

Thank you in advance.
Give up now, ull never be a champion
AlexKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 15372 Post(s)
Zaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,208.68
Total Points: 107,855.68
Been reading your posts.  Theyre not even in English.  U must have dropped out of school.  U sound very illiterate.  And I flagged ALL your racist stuff u will be banned - HAMMER77777 Keep it up man.  This is too EZ.  They ley a lot of shit go in here, but racism isn't 1 of them.  I'm flagging everyone of your comments.  If mega doesnt ban u, Boston will.  Racism is not allowed on here.  So keep writing, I'll keep flagging then I' - HAMMER77777 Thought so.  Quiet now, huh?  Move along, I am done with you. - HAMMER77777 No hard feelings man.  If you're ever near North Dakota, u are welcome to have SOme Beer with my wife and I.  Take care, enjoy your visit to India.  You will see more of it than I ever have. - HAMMER77777 Dude, seriously.  If u can click on VBUCKS menu, u can delete that rude shit I sent u.  I apologize.  You're OK, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I really am. - HAMMER77777 
dey hatın, we makin! - Floyd's Mask Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy New Year, Christmas, and all the best to you this holiday season Zaroku! - Redd Foxx Thnx for the green ;) - Boxing Goat Keep up the great posts, brother. - anthonydavid11 
Welcome Back, Signor Mata. - P.K Dionysus Rock on! - HeadBodyBodyBody Good poster with a unique style. - 1bad65 Great post, my dude... - Tony Trick-Pony A medal for Jhonny.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Zaroku The Legend! - travestyny For getting SafeSpace banned - 1bad65 No Message - Tony Trick-Pony Hey bro keep fighting the good fight. - BLASTER1 Cheers! - GhostofDempsey 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
Yoga is great, look at other non standard ways to stay flexible, have you tried massage? I used to use a hot water bottle to bring heat to an area, then stretch. But stretch each part of your body.
Zaroku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 PM #8
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroku View Post
Yoga is great, look at other non standard ways to stay flexible, have you tried massage? I used to use a hot water bottle to bring heat to an area, then stretch. But stretch each part of your body.
Never tried heat actually - always iced afterwards...

Thank you.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:15 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Zaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond repute
Been reading your posts.  Theyre not even in English.  U must have dropped out of school.  U sound very illiterate.  And I flagged ALL your racist stuff u will be banned - HAMMER77777 Keep it up man.  This is too EZ.  They ley a lot of shit go in here, but racism isn't 1 of them.  I'm flagging everyone of your comments.  If mega doesnt ban u, Boston will.  Racism is not allowed on here.  So keep writing, I'll keep flagging then I' - HAMMER77777 Thought so.  Quiet now, huh?  Move along, I am done with you. - HAMMER77777 No hard feelings man.  If you're ever near North Dakota, u are welcome to have SOme Beer with my wife and I.  Take care, enjoy your visit to India.  You will see more of it than I ever have. - HAMMER77777 Dude, seriously.  If u can click on VBUCKS menu, u can delete that rude shit I sent u.  I apologize.  You're OK, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I really am. - HAMMER77777 
dey hatın, we makin! - Floyd's Mask Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy New Year, Christmas, and all the best to you this holiday season Zaroku! - Redd Foxx Thnx for the green ;) - Boxing Goat Keep up the great posts, brother. - anthonydavid11 
Welcome Back, Signor Mata. - P.K Dionysus Rock on! - HeadBodyBodyBody Good poster with a unique style. - 1bad65 Great post, my dude... - Tony Trick-Pony A medal for Jhonny.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Zaroku The Legend! - travestyny For getting SafeSpace banned - 1bad65 No Message - Tony Trick-Pony Hey bro keep fighting the good fight. - BLASTER1 Cheers! - GhostofDempsey 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Never tried heat actually - always iced afterwards...

Thank you.
It increases blood flow, and relaxes the region.

Peace!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:58 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKid View Post
Give up now, ull never be a champion
And you will be a champion?

Share This With Friends

Tags
hips, hooks, throwing, tight

User Tag List