Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Allilang is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,042.00
Default Losing trust in a sparring partner

I'm a girl learning boxing in Korea. The girls here are all too weak and small so I have to spar with guys here.

There is a guy that I used to practice with, but our times at the gym haven't lined up very well so we haven't been able to spar in a long time. Today our trainer asked us to do some practice sparring where we pull our punches. In Korea they call it "meseu sparring" I don't know what its called in English.

I had already gone 6 rounds with other people and my left hand was injured, and he was fresh.

Well, the guy started hitting me without pulling his punches at all like I was a heavy bag. I asked him to stop 3 times in 20 seconds and he didn't stop. So I took my gear off and left the ring. My feelings were hurt far more than his punches, but the guy just gave me the cold shoulder from then on. He gave me a half hearted apology as I was about to leave.

My question is, how do you deal with this situation. I fear it's going to be awkward now. I don't think I trust going in the ring with him again now.
Allilang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5237 Post(s)
Boxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,226.90
Total Points: 45,638.44
Cheers brother! - Redd Foxx No Message - DionysusX Good poster. Keep it up. - 1bad65 Cheers, bruh!! - Tony Trick-Pony Good threads lately. - GhostofDempsey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allilang View Post
I'm a girl learning boxing in Korea. The girls here are all too weak and small so I have to spar with guys here.

There is a guy that I used to practice with, but our times at the gym haven't lined up very well so we haven't been able to spar in a long time. Today our trainer asked us to do some practice sparring where we pull our punches. In Korea they call it "meseu sparring" I don't know what its called in English.

I had already gone 6 rounds with other people and my left hand was injured, and he was fresh.

Well, the guy started hitting me without pulling his punches at all like I was a heavy bag. I asked him to stop 3 times in 20 seconds and he didn't stop. So I took my gear off and left the ring. My feelings were hurt far more than his punches, but the guy just gave me the cold shoulder from then on. He gave me a half hearted apology as I was about to leave.

My question is, how do you deal with this situation. I fear it's going to be awkward now. I don't think I trust going in the ring with him again now.
A woman cannot post a question on NSB without a pic. Until we see one, your question will not get answered.
Boxfan83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 AM #3
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxfan83 View Post
A woman cannot post a question on NSB without a pic. Until we see one, your question will not get answered.
So here I am talking about when a woman says "no" to being hit by a man and being ignored, and you have the nerve to make that kind of comment?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 AM #4
Contender

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
AaronJW has a spectacular aura aboutAaronJW has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 1,167.21
Total Points: 7,993.21

I do "mas" sparring here in Japan too, no idea where the word comes from lol.

Isn't the trainer watching the sparring? I'd ask him to tell your partner what non-contact sparring means.

Or you could explain it to him yourself, and if he says he knows, ask him why he was hitting you.

I sometimes have the same problem actually. I don't mind it though, but if I was tired with an injured hand I would.

Last edited by AaronJW; 05-17-2016 at 11:06 AM.
AaronJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 AM #5
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 12765 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,033,298.90
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev 
Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 
No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 
LOL - Tony Trick-Pony Because you're cool - jaded &quot;no more than 3 replies&quot; dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

I've been through this a lot, particularly in jiu jitsu where you have to trust your partner not to dislocate your arm and such. There's always some insecure or inconsiderate pricks who don't get it and refuse to exhibit control. Don't be afraid to just tell them "no thanks" and if a coach asks, just say the individual is too aggressive. The strong ones in the gym are not the ones who refuse to take it down a notch, the strong ones are the ones who can make accommodations for someone without having their egos get involved.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:58 AM #6
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 12765 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,033,298.90
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev 
Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 
No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 
LOL - Tony Trick-Pony Because you're cool - jaded &quot;no more than 3 replies&quot; dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allilang View Post
So here I am talking about when a woman says "no" to being hit by a man and being ignored, and you have the nerve to make that kind of comment?
He's just playing. He's actually a really good member, don't take it the wrong way. There's idiots here who will say something like that and actually mean it, and I think he's just mocking that mentality.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 AM #7
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJW View Post
I do "mas" sparring here in Japan too, no idea where the word comes from lol.

Isn't the trainer watching the sparring? I'd ask him to tell your partner what non-contact sparring means.

Or you could explain it to him yourself, and if he says he knows, ask him why he was hitting you.

I sometimes have the same problem actually. I don't mind it though, but if I was tired with an injured hand I would.
Unfortunately, the trainer had left early yesterday, just before telling us to spar. Usually if someone starts going to far, he will speak up, but usually its the beginners that need to be reminded to take it down a notch.

I started wearing my headgear during non-contact sparring sessions because I've gotten a bloody nose from a stray hit. I have a suspicion that they think headgear means its okay to go all out.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 AM #8
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
I've been through this a lot, particularly in jiu jitsu where you have to trust your partner not to dislocate your arm and such. There's always some insecure or inconsiderate pricks who don't get it and refuse to exhibit control. Don't be afraid to just tell them "no thanks" and if a coach asks, just say the individual is too aggressive. The strong ones in the gym are not the ones who refuse to take it down a notch, the strong ones are the ones who can make accommodations for someone without having their egos get involved.
I think a big ego is one of the reasons a lot of us fight.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM #9
Contender

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
BuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,668.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
He's just playing. He's actually a really good member, don't take it the wrong way. There's idiots here who will say something like that and actually mean it, and I think he's just mocking that mentality.
Or he thinks that she is trolling.

I dont think so tho.
BuakawBanchamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,045.91
Total Points: 17,959.63
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 
Keep'in them real - jaded nice post - lefthook2daliva Top Rated Consistant Poster - ironmt 

Your spar mates need to respect who is giving them work! It makes no difference if its the Champion of the World or the least talented person in the gym!
Anyone who takes advantage of someone in a spar session is either to dumb to know better or a punk!

If you can talk to him about the lost respect fine.......if he doesn't accept your offering move on without him.

A trainer who leaves people he's in charge of isn't much of a trainer when the participants are novice boxers.

Good luck, be honest with yourself and others then your respect is intact.

Ray
Ray Corso is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
losing, partner, sparring, trust

User Tag List