Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
darlo18 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,031.00
Default I'm too slow

For some reason in shadowboxing and sparring I seem to be pretty slow at everything. I think it's because I think too much about what I'm doing instead of letting it flow naturally. I've been boxing about a year and a half or so. Is it a case of needing to work harder on shadowboxing with speed outside the gym? Does this come with time? I'm pretty fit and am fast in terms of sprinting and football (soccer). Any tips?
darlo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-19-2016, 03:41 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
AddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond reputeAddiX has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,110.42
Total Points: 28,133.22
quote notifications idea - -jose- Good talking boxing, from NSB to PSD! - LoadedWraps good poster - theBEASTwithin Racist poster - mrdogtown1975 one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
Soon to be exiled. :) - Omowale Tribe for dropping constant truth bombs - Sup 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - JimRaynor 

Keep your hands tight, everything else loose.

Better technique will improve handspeed and sharpness.

But generally, quick hands comes with high repetition over and over. Boxing is a repetitious sport, to be good at anything you just need to do it over and over.

It's no mistake that all the fastest fighters are all guys who have been boxing since they were little kids. More reps = more speed/better punching mechanics.
AddiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM #3
Banned

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
fanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond reputefanofslug has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,355.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlo18 View Post
For some reason in shadowboxing and sparring I seem to be pretty slow at everything. I think it's because I think too much about what I'm doing instead of letting it flow naturally. I've been boxing about a year and a half or so. Is it a case of needing to work harder on shadowboxing with speed outside the gym? Does this come with time? I'm pretty fit and am fast in terms of sprinting and football (soccer). Any tips?
The extremities of the human body such as feet and hands need a warm up of approximately 30-40 minutes to be at optimum level. This was Manny Stewards advice to Lewis. See if it works.
fanofslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:27 PM #4
Contender

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
BuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond reputeBuakawBanchamek has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,673.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlo18 View Post
Dont tighten up your muscles while punching.

Train your technique over and over again

Do some explosive speed training.

Change your mind style, dont try to always knock people out with every punch

Train you muscles, this will help a lot especially the abs
BuakawBanchamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 PM #5
Amateur

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
darlo18 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,031.00

Thanks for getting back to me appreciate it. These are good tips, thank you I will add some of the suggestions to my routine for sure
darlo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 AM #6
KO Artist

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Syf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond reputeSyf has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,740.00
WAR Maidana! - LoadedWraps The Maidana Team - LoadedWraps For ownage and all the great post in the Maidan/Floyd thread - Dinamita 03 ole ole ole ole chino chino - punchr For voting yes on whether Maidana is a HOF'er - punchr 
Lol you slaughtered Bignuts.  That was brutal lol - El-blanco 

Yes... it happens over time. But that time must be well spent. The idea is to fine tune your muscle memory with repetition. Training and offtime is really where you hammer out the mental imagery and technical aspects of your craft... but in a fight, you let your muscle memory take over. A muscle memory you have established from hours and hours...and hours... of repetition!

You are at your quickest when you don't have to think too much.. much of what is perceived as quickness has its foundation set in timing and initiative! The rest in fluidity and grace... Repetition is your go to word here. It will unlock all of that for you. But you have to train hard and dilligently. You gotta be more dedicated than the other guy. Throw 10000 jabs so that you can throw a piston perfect one out there when it counts...

Last edited by Syf; 01-20-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Syf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:14 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Amazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond reputeAmazinger has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 18,517.00
Bro deserves it - Jedi Vader No Message - speedjay No Message - speedjay one of our worst posters - Freedom. Beer for the winner! - SuperTrooper 
Super poster. - dancovboxer Stand up guy - Unknown Champ :) - Salim_Shady here's a whopper on me - -jose- Right back atcha ! - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Merry Christmas Amazinger - TBear Cheers! Merry Christmas - Beercules Season's Gree....I mean Merry Christmas!!! - DannYankee Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! :beerchug: - -jose- 
No Message - BERNIE'S CORNER we popping bottles son! good day to you too broski - -jose- It's Canadian Moosehead...Drink it ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Them damn Injins ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Wear this with pride. You are now and ever shall be an Honorary American. If anyone asks for your papers ? Tell em Bernie said I don't need no stink'n papers !  LOL ! All this just to tell you I'm outta green.... - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr449 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr449 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - LeeVanCleef Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - kyshenko team Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Don't clench your fist when shadow boxing, relax when throwing it almost with a open fist. just throw it (jabs) like throwing rings in the carney. but make it fast.
Amazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 AM #8
Contender

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
dman4093 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 6,235.60

Plyometrics
Clap push ups
Box jumps
dman4093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends