Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM #1

Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,220.79
Total Points: 51,355.32
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 
Default Jon Jones: ‘greatest chance of losing would be to Cormier’ at heavyweight

Jon Jones doesn’t know what it’s like to lose.

Certainly not in the Octagon, where he’s won 24 times and only lost via a disqualification to Matt Hamill early in his career. Outside of that blemish, “Bones” has defeated every man to step into the cage with him and there are only two who have had the opportunity to challenge him twice, Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson.

It’s Cormier whose career is inextricably tied with Jones’s given that they have feuded for years and are widely considered to be the two greatest light heavyweights in MMA history as well as on the short list of the best to ever compete in the sport pound-for-pound. Jones has twice beaten Cormier, once via five-round unanimous decision at UFC 182 and again at UFC 214.

The second win was more definitive than the first as Jones knocked Cormier out with a head kick in the third round, but the result was later overturned to a no contest when Jones tested positive for a banned substance. Jones would later receive a 15-month suspension from the USADA for the failed test.

In Jones’s absence, Cormier continued his reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion and went on to take the heavyweight crown from Stipe Miocic. Cormier and Miocic are set to rematch one another at UFC 241 in August, but that matchup only became official after a long rumored bout with WWE superstar Brock Lesnar failed to materialize. A third bout with Jones at 205 pounds had also been mentioned by both fighters, but Jones believes there is zero chance that Cormier would risk having to cut weight only to potentially lose to Jones again.

“He says it, but there’s no way he’s coming back to light heavyweight,” Jones said in an interview with Dan Hardy for BT Sport. “To commit your life to lose that type of weight and to come up short again would be so devastating. It would take an incredible amount of courage to attempt it and to come up short would just be so devastating. I doubt he would put himself through that for the third time.”

Asked if Cormier losing another light heavyweight championship bout to Jones would be more devastating than Jones making the move up to heavyweight and taking that belt, Jones admitted that the latter scenario would be worse for his rival, though he pointed out that Cormier would also have certain advantages under those circumstances.

“Not as devastating as that, no,” Jones said. “But me coming up short, I’m a realist. Daniel Cormier is a special athlete and everyone can be beat. I think my greatest chance of losing would be to a guy like Daniel Cormier, with giving him a power and strength advantage over me, it just doesn’t make sense.

“Right now I make light heavyweight very easily and it just wouldn’t make no sense to fight a guy who I think technically [is] on your level, and to give him a size advantage, I’m not doing it. I’m not doing it. I’m sure my fans don’t like to hear me talk like that, but that’s just me being a realist and being respectful to Daniel’s abilities.”

Jones has his own title defense at UFC 239 against Thiago Santos to worry about, but considering that he has teased moving up to heavyweight on several occasions, it’s possible that he’ll have a vested interest in the Cormier-Miocic rematch. Should Miocic win, he and Jones could follow through on a matchup that they’ve been amenable too in the past.

In the event of a Cormier win, which Jones is predicting, he still doesn’t see a scenario where he and Cormier fight a third time.

“I think Stipe will put up a better fight, but I do think DC will win again,” Jones said. “DC’s an extraordinary athlete. His flexibility and his speed for the way he’s built doesn’t really make sense. Even his endurance, the way he’s built, he’s a special athlete. I don’t think most guys would beat DC. I think the way you beat DC is just to catch him with a knockout shot, which Stipe has the power to do. The question is can he land it?

“I think DC’s smart and he’s going to use his wrestling and wit to find a way to win again. And then he’ll retire or fight at heavyweight again. He’s definitely never coming back to light heavyweight.”

The full episode of Dan Hardy’s Open Mat featuring the Jones interview will be available on the BT Sport YouTube channel on Tuesday evening.
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Longhaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond reputeLonghaul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,514.48

The juice man speaks.
Longhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
LADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond reputeLADIV has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,226.90
Total Points: 18,774.23

Fcuk Jones jones... that dude is on the juice but found a loop hole in the system...
LADIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Mr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond reputeMr.365 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,099.24
Total Points: 19,300.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRed View Post
Jon Jones doesn’t know what it’s like to lose.

Certainly not in the Octagon, where he’s won 24 times and only lost via a disqualification to Matt Hamill early in his career. Outside of that blemish, “Bones” has defeated every man to step into the cage with him and there are only two who have had the opportunity to challenge him twice, Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson.

It’s Cormier whose career is inextricably tied with Jones’s given that they have feuded for years and are widely considered to be the two greatest light heavyweights in MMA history as well as on the short list of the best to ever compete in the sport pound-for-pound. Jones has twice beaten Cormier, once via five-round unanimous decision at UFC 182 and again at UFC 214.

The second win was more definitive than the first as Jones knocked Cormier out with a head kick in the third round, but the result was later overturned to a no contest when Jones tested positive for a banned substance. Jones would later receive a 15-month suspension from the USADA for the failed test.

In Jones’s absence, Cormier continued his reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion and went on to take the heavyweight crown from Stipe Miocic. Cormier and Miocic are set to rematch one another at UFC 241 in August, but that matchup only became official after a long rumored bout with WWE superstar Brock Lesnar failed to materialize. A third bout with Jones at 205 pounds had also been mentioned by both fighters, but Jones believes there is zero chance that Cormier would risk having to cut weight only to potentially lose to Jones again.

“He says it, but there’s no way he’s coming back to light heavyweight,” Jones said in an interview with Dan Hardy for BT Sport. “To commit your life to lose that type of weight and to come up short again would be so devastating. It would take an incredible amount of courage to attempt it and to come up short would just be so devastating. I doubt he would put himself through that for the third time.”

Asked if Cormier losing another light heavyweight championship bout to Jones would be more devastating than Jones making the move up to heavyweight and taking that belt, Jones admitted that the latter scenario would be worse for his rival, though he pointed out that Cormier would also have certain advantages under those circumstances.

“Not as devastating as that, no,” Jones said. “But me coming up short, I’m a realist. Daniel Cormier is a special athlete and everyone can be beat. I think my greatest chance of losing would be to a guy like Daniel Cormier, with giving him a power and strength advantage over me, it just doesn’t make sense.

“Right now I make light heavyweight very easily and it just wouldn’t make no sense to fight a guy who I think technically [is] on your level, and to give him a size advantage, I’m not doing it. I’m not doing it. I’m sure my fans don’t like to hear me talk like that, but that’s just me being a realist and being respectful to Daniel’s abilities.”

Jones has his own title defense at UFC 239 against Thiago Santos to worry about, but considering that he has teased moving up to heavyweight on several occasions, it’s possible that he’ll have a vested interest in the Cormier-Miocic rematch. Should Miocic win, he and Jones could follow through on a matchup that they’ve been amenable too in the past.

In the event of a Cormier win, which Jones is predicting, he still doesn’t see a scenario where he and Cormier fight a third time.

“I think Stipe will put up a better fight, but I do think DC will win again,” Jones said. “DC’s an extraordinary athlete. His flexibility and his speed for the way he’s built doesn’t really make sense. Even his endurance, the way he’s built, he’s a special athlete. I don’t think most guys would beat DC. I think the way you beat DC is just to catch him with a knockout shot, which Stipe has the power to do. The question is can he land it?

“I think DC’s smart and he’s going to use his wrestling and wit to find a way to win again. And then he’ll retire or fight at heavyweight again. He’s definitely never coming back to light heavyweight.”

The full episode of Dan Hardy’s Open Mat featuring the Jones interview will be available on the BT Sport YouTube channel on Tuesday evening.
Like they say "third time's the charm."
Mr.365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 AM #5
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 19184 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 149,254.47
Total Points: 1,180,031.34
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 

I doubt JBJ is legit worried about losing to DC at HW. I suspect its about it being a bad look to win a HW title & gtfo of there cuz there are some killers at HW. Granted DC might do well against those types of killers, but JBJ isn't as sturdy as DC is & there are some cats who'll take JBJ's head off. Obviously I think JBJ is more skilled than any two guys at HW, but everyone gets hit & mfers ain't getting hit that many times at HW before they go night night. And JBJ wouldn't have many fights at HW before he goes night night too.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM #6
Keeping it real

Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Willy Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 30,705.74
Total Points: 66,660.57
No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker here's another one to help the cause - -jose- lol - -jose- 
Merry Christmas - TBear Lounge ATG - Mike D From Brandi with Love! - BoxingFan85 Just because. - DionysusX my ni gga - STAX ON DECK 
Looking forward to the fight man ? Who you rooting for ? - ScottWeiland happy father's day (in the event your creampie was loaded, lol) - DionysusX The Autozone comment had me rolling. Haha. Cheers - anthonydavid11 Camacho avi :love: that's one sexy Rican - -jose- Lana was sent from above - Santa_ 
-jose- aka Colonel Culo Snatcher :lol1::lol1: - -jose- alt account and serial racist member. - Shaolin Sword WAR COTTO! one last time :beerchug: - -jose- Love your funny posts - 1bad65 In the floor laughing... - Tony Trick-Pony 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 

I can only see Jones losing at HW. Not necessarily to DC, but someone at HW would beat him.

I can't see anyone beating Jones at 205, unless he gets old really soon. But thankfully he's roided up, so that should preserve his body and his prime.
Willy Wanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:49 AM #7

Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,220.79
Total Points: 51,355.32
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

I hope the trilogy happens before DC retires
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,169.47
Total Points: 42,076.55
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

If DC was willing to move down and fight him at 205, then why doesn't Jones grow a pair and fight Cormier at heavyweight and take a risk for once in his career?
Anthony342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 PM #9
Il Principe

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
F l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond reputeF l i c k e r has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,208.68
Total Points: 48,835.44
Happy Easter :D  :kiss: - Bossy i like your avatar - zab191 Cheers, to huge titties. - Very Rich Man Happy 15k posts darling! :kiss: - Bossy Happy birthday babe! I hope you have a wonderful day. love and kisses :kiss: - Bossy 
For your anus - desktop 0 For your vagina - desktop 0 For your mouth - desktop 0 LMAO!!! - desktop 0 you like it - desktop 0 
for when your boyfriend is away - desktop 0 here's another - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 
No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 No Message - desktop 0 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER 

DC has no reason to fight Jones.

We all know he is a cheat. DC should just ignore the bum and do his thing.
F l i c k e r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,169.47
Total Points: 42,076.55
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F l i c k e r View Post
DC has no reason to fight Jones.

We all know he is a cheat. DC should just ignore the bum and do his thing.
Yes but Jones has a reason to fight DC at heavyweight. Because it would actually be a challenge. But Jones would rather manage his career like Mayweather later in his boxing career and go for lower risk fights, like the pansy he is and not truly test himself. He even said it right there in that article that Cormier would have the advantage, but that's the idea in fighting. You go for the tougher challenges, not just the ones where it's always advantageous to you. That's how you build a legacy. Not only with his positive test results, but with all the eye pokes and straight kicks to the knees, Jones' legacy is always going to be somewhat tainted. At least with some wins at heavyweight, it could be less tainted because he would have some wins against bigger clean or juiced up guys. I guess he figures he wouldn't he able to make 205 again after that though. They should do some kind of catch weight then, like 210 or 220.
Anthony342 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
chance, cormier’, heavyweight, jones:, losing, ‘greatest

User Tag List