No announcement yet.

This is the problem with these apps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    I don't mind shelling out between $10-$20 per month for DAZN but I will be damned if I have to pay an additional $5 a month for a sports package, that I am already subscribed to.

I already have over four or five ESPN channels with my sports programming package as it is from my cable provider and I refused to pay anymore.

That app should be included as a bonus with my programming package.
    This is one of the things I don't like that ESPN is doing. I was pissed off for the opposite reason, they were letting me watch the undercard via the app for some events but wouldn't let me watch the Main Event w/o ESPN's cable option.

Its just an angle to keep both oars in the water presently by them. Can't blame them, but I'm not a fan either.

Comment

The apps are killing the marketability and growth of these fighters.

It’s a short term $ grab by promoters is really all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
        Yeah Boxing is not a sport that needs to be exclusively on a Boxing App in America, especially when the sport is not that popular as whole to begin with. DAZN and Eddie Hearn Groupies seems to take that so personal for whatever reason when it doesn't have anything to do with them. It is the True, boxing Popularity has taken a serious Dive while other far more popular sports, they all offer their biggest match ups on Network TV for FREE!

So yeah, being on ESPN or even FOX is better for boxers trying to build up their brand and popularity and especially for Foreign Fighters trying to become Stars in America on a APP that only a limited amount of people have. The difference with ESPN+ is that they have a huge Network, so even if people don't watch live, they will run Highlights of it on ESPN all day which is what is happening
        Good post . Couldn't have said it better myself .

Comment

It might seem awkward but it's a transition. It's going to happen - these companies are just trying to be in a position to stay relevant.

I'd also question how many people 'stumble' on a live fight. The interesting bit went for about 10 minutes - I'm not sure I like those odds. I think I'd rather put my money into growing the app and instead push the best bits to millions via social media.

I do think the TV companies are going to be the ones to fail. They're trying to be halfway there. Growing the app while making network TV revenues.

That's got Kodak and Nokia written all over it. These companies have big budgets and see the trends before anyone else. They develop the tech before it's the norm. They just don't adapt quickly enough. Happened before and will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            This is one of the things I don't like that ESPN is doing. I was pissed off for the opposite reason, they were letting me watch the undercard via the app for some events but wouldn't let me watch the Main Event w/o ESPN's cable option.

Its just an angle to keep both oars in the water presently by them. Can't blame them, but I'm not a fan either.
            No doubt, I agree. I have to admit that their streaming app is worst than DAZN's.

They telecast the entire Fury undercard on ESPN. Then want you to switch over to their online streaming app to watch the Main Event on your apple, android, tablet or any other mobile device over the internet.

That's absurd. How does Top Rank expects to broaden Tyson Fury's appeal and fan base among the casual fans in the states by broadcasting his fights over some online streaming media service while blacking it out on national television?

That will only serve to further narrow, limit and marginalize his audience. While at the same time isolating him from the American mainstream and the crossover casual fan.

Comment

Originally posted by SirLancelot View Post
              Give it a rest man for christsake, do you ever stop bleating about networks or in depth personality analysis of fighters etc.

Your brain is 95% cluttered and is the property of dazn you brainwashed humanoid.

Sip some detox juice read some books on quantum mechanics or such literature. Breathe man you can do it. Don't be mortified there's more to life.
              Why is it so hard for you not comment on my posts if you don't like what I'm posting about? I see dozens of posts a day I don't like and I keep it moving. Why is this so hard for most of y'all to do?

And if you need help doing it just let me know and I can get you together real quick

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                Apps bad showtime good, apps bad fox good.

Troll.
                What a dumb comment. Showtime app is a supplement to their live TV. ESPN + programming is different from their live TV. DAZN doesn't have TV at all. Top 5 one of your dumbest comments

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  What a dumb comment. Showtime app is a supplement to their live TV. ESPN + programming is different from their live TV. DAZN doesn't have TV at all. Top 5 one of your dumbest comments
                  The fact that they split their programming isn't necessarily a good thing.

DAZN is right on trend for the industry. ESPN and Showtime dipping their toes while still clinging onto traditional revenue streams is only marginally better than just sticking to what they already do and hoping not to be disrupted. They need to have a plan to cut the cord. The comments coming out against DAZN don't demonstrate that they are embracing this change.
                  Either way - you're getting more and more app based content.

I get the argument that boxing is different to TV and movies. I even get the argument that boxing is different to other league based sports - it doesn't necessarily have regular programming and instead is based on one off events.

But OTT is where it's going.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                    That will only serve to further narrow, limit and marginalize his audience. While at the same time isolating him from the American mainstream and the crossover casual fan.
                    In fairness I don't think this is their long term play. I think they are doing what they gotta do now. Right now they wanna get as many people as possible paying for cable & their app. As broadcast TV slows down that won't always be the case.

This streaming thing is bigger then boxing or Fury or TR. Its gonna be a thing. Its gonna be the main way people are watching stuff eventually...but we aren't there quite yet.

Like I've said before numerous times I'm not even sure the technology is all the way there for streaming content to be what it'll be. But with streaming content you have the ability to decide what camera angle you want (50 yd line for football or you could be pov for your favorite player) or f#ck camera lens you wanna watch something from maybe, you can have commentary options beyond the primary one, you can turn off the f#cking commentary off without turning off the event sounds (which has been my dream as a boxing fan for 20 years probably) & other options I'm not creative enough to think of at the moment. You the viewer decide how you wanna best consume the event. Basically they are gonna need to make a whole new type of remote control to contend with how you watch streaming content on your smart TV or whatever device we are watching entertainment via in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                      The fact that they split their programming isn't necessarily a good thing.

DAZN is right on trend for the industry. ESPN and Showtime dipping their toes while still clinging onto traditional revenue streams is only marginally better than just sticking to what they already do and hoping not to be disrupted. They need to have a plan to cut the cord. The comments coming out against DAZN don't demonstrate that they are embracing this change.
                      Either way - you're getting more and more app based content.

I get the argument that boxing is different to TV and movies. I even get the argument that boxing is different to other league based sports - it doesn't necessarily have regular programming and instead is based on one off events.

But OTT is where it's going.
                      Splitting their programming is stupid. If I'm paying for ESPN + i should be able to see whatever is on ESPN live. Which is how Showtime uses their app.

I see no proof OTT is the wave for live sports. The reason you see combat sports on OTT is because combat sports fans have been paying for content since combat moved off of broadcast tv. We're the suckers of sports fans. When the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, College sports take a significant game & make it available only thru streaming is when I'll believe it's the wave for sports.

Comment

Working...
                      X